Username: Password:

Author Topic: Computer fairs  (Read 7442 times)

donovan.x

• Lightweight
Computer fairs
« on: November 20, 2005, 08:49:49 PM »
Hi guys.
I am building my own P.C....BEAST P.C, Have any of you ever been to a computer fair and are they as cheap as everyone reckons?
Cheers
DEATH TO ALL BUT METAL!

willo

• Welterweight
Computer fairs
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 09:06:42 PM »
yeah, i bought my first pc from one, and yes it was considerably cheaper than the shops at the time. However, this was like 99-2000; since then Dell has got ridiculously cheap.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away...

chrisola

• Welterweight
Computer fairs
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 09:18:36 PM »
yeap, go with a shopping list of the components you want, then go round at least once before you buy... then double back to where is cheapest 8)

i remember buying 16mb simms of ram for £15 a go, this was many moons ago, at the time ram was going for £30-40 in shops (this was before even pc world was near me lol

Traders with testing equipment for compnents are best, theres no comeback really if your item is $%&#ed :(
"Turbo F***ing Spinning PILEDRIVER!!!"

dooogz

• Bantamweight
    • http://www.silverelectric.co.uk
Computer fairs
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 09:39:23 PM »
last time i went to one good 3 years back, i got the impression that they were producing goods at internet prices! so it just saves u sum delivery and gives u the fun of bartering!
Ibanez RG 120, Epi LP studio, Dean Z88

Laney AOR pro tube 100, Marshall 1960b cab

jt

• Welterweight
Computer fairs
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 10:10:23 PM »
:D Yep have to agree with the rest of the guys, i`ve found Computer fairs to be cheaper. At one of the loca ones here in London, there`s even a couple of guys that will put your PC together for a fee. ie connecting things up to the Mother board [ hardware ]

:D  8)
God I could do with a Gin & Tonic !

Skybone

• Lightweight
Computer fairs
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 10:17:13 AM »
Like everyone says, they are a (little) bit cheaper than the high street, although I don't think that they are that much cheaper these days. About 5 years ago, they were THE place to buy stuff, now they tend to cater more for the mobile/DVD/"backup" software market, and there's less choice in the actual hardware available (IMHO).

Again IMO, they've been taken over by the kind of people that are ruining eBay. You can still get a decent deal, but you have to look around (and go to it a little later on...when the traders have clocked each others prices and started to lower theirs).

Shop around, but remember buyer beware...
Bibble.
BKP's: Black Dog set, Emerald set, & Crawler set.
http://www.myspace.com/misericordedoom