Username: Password:

Author Topic: Films! good, bad, recomendations, and general film talk  (Read 602584 times)

Will

• Welterweight
Films! good, bad, recomendations, and general film talk
« on: April 21, 2008, 12:45:21 AM »
Well I guess most of you guys know how it works... I am awake, and will be for a while longer  :shock:
and I thought to make a wonderful thread about films.

I quite enjoy films, and generally just download from 'scene' torrents (I think they are :? ) and to help me sleep, I love a good film, some of the best films make me go to sleep straight away :P
So, any good recomendations of recent films, I am a tough candidate I believe as I have seen many a film, and forgotten the names of most, but not the storyline :D

anyway, recomendations would be good....

Just to add, my recomendation, and favourite film of the last 6 months or so: SURFS UP - yes, an animation, its a great story, and watch it far too often; I think it says a lot about the standard of films at the moment.

FWIW the idea for this thread came from listening to Dokken 'tooth and nail', which reminded me of a recent shitee movie that was a gore fest.

If nobody replies, please PhillyQ! I have heard you have a large collection, and your input would be great

indysmith

• Welterweight
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 12:55:25 AM »
Check these out if ever you're bored (random selection from dvd collection :P )
a la folie... pas du tout
Alphaville, une étrange aventure de Lemmy Caution
american History X
A Beautiful Mind
 Big Fish
The Birds
 Ed Wood
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Eyes Wide Shut
Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Le
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Hard Candy
Hiroshima mon amour
Natural Born Killers
The Omen
 One Hour Photo
Patch Adams
Pi
The Picture of Dorian Gray
Psycho
Punch-Drunk Love
Requiem for a Dream
Rosemary's Baby
the Weather Man
Withnail & I

They're not all new, but they're all good!
LOVING the Mules!

Philly Q

• Light Heavyweight
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 02:11:15 AM »
Wow, you've got some good stuff there Indy!  And Patch Adams  :wink: .  Alphabetical too - is that how they're stored?  Mine are all pretty much totally random.

Will, how recent is recent?  Any particular genres?  I like all sorts except musicals, teen movies and rom-coms (although I did really enjoy both Superbad and Knocked Up recently).  

Especially keen on horror movies (old and new, clever and stupid), film noir, world cinema (especially Korea and Japan), a fair bit of indie/arthouse.  Favourite directors Takeshi Kitano, Jacques Tati, Henri-Georges Clouzot, Hitchc--k, Fellini, Kubrick, Kim Jee Woon, Takashi Miike, Fritz Lang, Guillermo del Toro, Wes Anderson, Mario Bava, Dario Argento.  All sorts of stuff.
BKPs I've Got:  RR, BKP-91, ITs, VHII, CS set, Emeralds
BKPs I Had:  RY+Abraxas, Crawlers, BD+SM

7thSon

• Flyweight
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 02:17:37 AM »
Unfortunately you're going to be limited by the films that scene torrents has, which is only brand new mainstream films mostly hollywood, so you'll be looking at mostly shitee...

But they should have some limited release ones too I guess, see if you can get the ones of these you haven't seen yet:

Lust, Caution
Funny Games
I'm Not There
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
My Blueberry Nights
Beaufort
We Own The Night
Southland Tales (you might hate this, but at least you'll find it interesting)
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Eastern Promises
Into The Wild
Rescue Dawn
Across the Universe
No Country For Old Men
There Will Be Blood
Sunshine
The Fountain
Michael Clayton
A Mighty Heart
Eagle vs Shark
The Flying Scotsman
This is England
Exiled (fong juk)
Day Night, Day Night

hmm that's all I can think of that might be on scene torrents, but maybe i'm wrong in thinking they only do new films?

Philly Q

• Light Heavyweight
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 02:39:32 AM »
Oh, OK, if it's all current/recent releases, 7thSon has mentioned most of the good stuff I can think of.  But I'd like to put a word in for:

Juno
The Orphanage
I'm A Cyborg
Persepolis
Rec

Perandor

• Bantamweight
    • http://www.myspace.com/perandor777
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 03:15:07 AM »
How about the following?

Crank
Oceans 13
Oceans 11
The Transporter/2
Any James Bond
Dr. Zhivago
Catch 22
Fracture

noodleplugerine

• Welterweight
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 07:17:12 AM »
The thing about movies is.

You either get super serious movies which you seriously need to be in the right frame of mind to watch - Indy's list.

Or you get action films which are good fun and can be watched casually - Perandor's list.

Neither is better in my opinion.

Film snobs will tell you that films like No Country For Old Men are better than Ocean's 11, and in some way's they're right, but I'll be honest saying that I enjoyed Ocean's 11 just as much as I did No Country For Old Men, no matter how good the acting was by Javier.

I know this rant was totally pointless - But it gave me an opportunity to say something I've thought for a while, but never said.

And 7th Son - Sunshine? Really?

I really can't stand that movie :P
My last FM.
ESP Horizon NTII.
ESP Viper Camo.
ENGL Screamer.

38thBeatle

• Middleweight
    • http://www.myspace.com/alteregoukband
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 07:31:54 AM »
I don't think you can beat a bit of Mary Poppins meself, cor blimey guv'nor .
Send three and fourpence we're going to a dance
BKP's: Apache, Country Boy, Slowhands.

gwEm

• Middleweight
    • http://www.preromanbritain.com/gwem
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 08:13:22 AM »
38th is right...

but my recommendation is 'Subway' by Luc Besson - a film i watched once or even twice a day, every day, the first week i got it.

its got everything - even a steinberger ;)
Quote from: AndyR
you wouldn't use the meat knife on crusty bread but, equally, the serrated knife and straight edge knife aren't going to go through raw meat as quickly

_tom_

• Middleweight
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 11:20:13 AM »
I'm sure you've allready seen it (most people have) but I only just got round to watching Fight Club the other night and it was awesome. I just thought it was gonna be some typical underdog kinda cr@p story but it really isnt. I'll go through my small film collection now as well just in case you havent seen any of em. I'm sure Indy and many film buffs will hate them but here we go :P

Full Metal Jacket (first half is great, 2nd average)
Indiana Jones - Raiders of the Lost Ark
Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs
Shoot 'Em Up
The Condemned
Anchorman
Enemy at the Gates
Hot Fuzz
Shaun of the Dead
Shooter
The Departed
The Girl Next Door (elisha cuthbert :P)
This is Spinal Tap
Escape from New York/LA
Superbad
Surfs Up

As you can see, quite a lot of cr@p cheesy action/comedy films with a few good ones :lol:

sambo

• Welterweight
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 12:02:44 PM »
Well I loved Cloverfield, (fairly recent). But that's a film that is probably 10 times worse at home on DVD than it is on the big screen I would imagine.

I also REALLY want to see 'There Will Be Blood', as that looks fantastic!

Oh and from 7th Son's list; This is England is a must-see. OH and 'American History X'. Not recent- getting old in fact - but really interesting. That film has the most cringeworthy scene I have ever come across I think. I literally had to put my hands over my eyes and run out of the room because I couldn't take it!

OHHH and watch the Ecstacy of Robert Carmichael (or something along those lines), just for the finale rape scene (The rest of the film is 90 minutes of pure rubbish).

OHHH and if you want a funny horror film, you really can't beat DEATH TUNNEL! :lol: It's a classic, for sure.

Or for a film which has such poor production values, and such a shockingly bad director, that you can see the crew in places, and people change their clothes magically between different camera angles, then 'SILENT SCREAM' is a safe bet. :lol:

Man I love films! :lol:

OH and Donnie Darko is always a good choice!

:)

Philly Q

• Light Heavyweight
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 12:28:24 PM »
This is an interesting thread - we've started from nothing and launched straight into a HUGE subject, the entire history of cinema!  :lol:

This could run and run....

_tom_

• Middleweight
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 12:44:35 PM »
I tried watching There Will Be Blood but couldnt get into it at all. All I got was a boring film about mining oil :lol:

No Country For Old Men was allright, I didnt like it on first watch but when I rewatched it I liked it more, I think I was expecting a totally different film.

And yeah, cloverfield doesnt have the same impact at home. I watched it on my laptop with 2.1 speakers and it was pretty bad in comparison :lol:

For comedy you cant beat the Monty Python films, I'm sure you've allready seen them though..

Ian Price

• Welterweight
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008, 12:54:58 PM »
I rewatched The Departed over the weekend. It's fab on first vieiwing but even better on second. Highly recommended.
I think I hate being indecisive.

Will

• Welterweight
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 01:13:50 PM »
there will be blood is good, try it!

was watching it the night after history coursework when couldn't get sleeping pattern right.

Sambo, seen a lot of your recomendations, Death tunnel was funny, but there is another film like that, erm try Cube Zero, just funny!