Username: Password:

Author Topic: Stacking overdrives -- I think I finally "get" it!  (Read 4146 times)

Plenum n Heather

• Lightweight
  • BKPs:
Stacking overdrives -- I think I finally "get" it!
« on: May 12, 2017, 01:01:20 PM »
I have always been a much bigger fan of boosts than overdrive. I was the only guitar player in my last two bands and it worked just fine. In my current project, however, there are two guitar players and there is more of a need to cut without necessarily adding a mountain of level. I started playing around with stacking boosts and overdrives and am REALLY happy with the way it sounds, particularly with Marshall style amplifiers.

I need 4 sounds for this project: clean, edge of breakup, crunch with a small level boost, solo boost. I ended up stacking the following into either Channel A of a Marshall or into one of my single channel amplifiers:

JCollocia Horus (low gain OD) > Way Huge Green Rhino > Bogner Harlow

All off is clean, the Horus cuts the bass a bit and adds dynamic gain (the gain increases with pick attack); the Green Rhino stacked with the Horus tightens up the tone even more and provides crunch. When I engage the Harlow (compression is all the way down), it gives a level boost for solos.

I have a strymon DECO at the end of the board which adds a bit of compression as well. The Neve transformer in the Harlow also adds a dimension that my Philospher's Tone doesn't have.

So whilst I still prefer using stacked boost pedals, in a two-guitar situation, OD definitely seems to be the better option for cutting through the bigger sound and frequency masking from the other guitarist.

gwEm

• Middleweight
    • http://www.preromanbritain.com/gwem
Re: Stacking overdrives -- I think I finally "get" it!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 06:46:27 PM »
Really interesting findings Ben.

I always preferred overdrives, but recently switched over to transistor boosts. I have the feeling that these boosts, due to their simplicity, let more playing dynamics through.

I also think its because I'm using a lot less gain on my basic tone than I used to, so I don't need to remove low end to cut. I have my rhythm tone setup so that it moves into a crunch when I play power chords. When I play single notes normally I hear a little bit of compression and, if I pick lightly, can get completely clean.

Then when I use the boost for a solo, it not only increases gain, but also it adds a big dose of level. I find by doing that, setting up the amount of boost for the right solo volume also gives me the right amount of gain which really sings.
Quote from: AndyR
you wouldn't use the meat knife on crusty bread but, equally, the serrated knife and straight edge knife aren't going to go through raw meat as quickly

Plenum n Heather

• Lightweight
  • BKPs:
Re: Stacking overdrives -- I think I finally "get" it!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 02:05:02 PM »
I find that having the second guitar really makes it imperative to have a more cutting sound; when I am playing solo guitar gigs, I prefer a much more 'full range' tone!