Username: Password:

Author Topic: my special 1x12  (Read 4864 times)

gwEm

• Middleweight
    • http://www.preromanbritain.com/gwem
my special 1x12
« on: May 14, 2017, 06:23:20 PM »
I've been using this cab for a while, and I really like it.

Its a hand constructed pine cabinet (made in Ireland), with a birch ply baffle. Its been fitted with a Celestion neodymium creamback, and I've also added a Palmer Junction speaker simulator. Additionally I've stuck inside the cloth a foam beam blocker.

I've fitted the handle on the side, so I can put my CF100 power amplifier on top of it. There are feet on the bottom of the cab, and also on the side opposite the handle, so its easy to put down on the train or bus.

The whole thing weighs in at 7.75kg (17lbs) so its very manageable.

It sounds great actually. The pine gives slightly boxy tone, in a cool way, mildly reminiscent of a Tweed Deluxe.

The only thing I'd change is to fit a more sensitive speaker. The Creamback is 97dB sensitive, which is has been fine so far, but I'd be happier with a bit more headroom. I'm looking out for a G12 Century.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 06:34:11 PM by gwEm »
Quote from: AndyR
you wouldn't use the meat knife on crusty bread but, equally, the serrated knife and straight edge knife aren't going to go through raw meat as quickly

gwEm

• Middleweight
Re: my special 1x12
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 09:48:44 AM »
Did an oil finish on this over the long weekend. Looks great  :cool:

Probably shouldn't have gigged with it for 4 months 'raw' though..
you wouldn't use the meat knife on crusty bread but, equally, the serrated knife and straight edge knife aren't going to go through raw meat as quickly

Plenum n Heather

• Lightweight
  • BKPs:
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 06:14:19 PM »
I really love pine cabs; especially pine 4x10!

How do you find using an open back for heavier stuff?

gwEm

• Middleweight
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 10:28:56 PM »
I really love pine cabs; especially pine 4x10!

How do you find using an open back for heavier stuff?

its workable, definitely not a mud-fest.

ericsabbath

• Welterweight
    • Colidium
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 12:04:14 PM »
for me, 97db is where it's at, specially for a 1x12 cab
a high sensitivity speaker can get way too loud when used alone and the extra bass might damage the cone wiring (happened to a celestion black shadow once)

my first speaker was a century vintage and it was loud as $%&# at 98 db in a 1x12

I would seal that cab, though
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 12:06:02 PM by ericsabbath »
Riff Raff, Mules, Black Dog, VHII's, Cold Sweat

gwEm

• Middleweight
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 07:34:04 PM »
Speaker sensitivity is a funny thing. I'm A-Bing the cab now against a 1x12 with a Celestion Sidewinder in it.

The Sidewinder is meant to have 103dB of sensitivity. It is louder, but it doesn't sound like 6dB louder to me. I estimated 2dB louder. My sound meter is telling me the Sidewinder is 3dB louder.

James C

• Featherweight
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 06:35:10 PM »
Looks nice - always interested when you post your rig gWem as you seem to be focussed on the on the best portable tone possible (if that makes sense)
Formerly "ManOnTheEdge"

Using a Nailbomb 7 Set in Ibanez RG7321