Username: Password:

Author Topic: Suggest replacements for Music Man Axis (too muddy)  (Read 4087 times)

YYZ

• Strawweight
  • BKPs:
Suggest replacements for Music Man Axis (too muddy)
« on: July 10, 2017, 04:28:33 PM »
 Hi.

This is my first post here., but I have been lurking  for a bit.   I'm looking for suggestions on what to replace my stock axis pick ups with. The problem I am having is that I find them sounding  too muddy with individual notes in a chord  getting lost when playing with gain, and a generally fizzy sound.  I am looking for something that is tighter, with better definition, that cuts through but isn't ice picky.  (This is a bright guitar to start with)

. I know some people suggest that lower output pickups  is the way to go to resolve this problem, but I am not much of an expert.  Any suggestions are appreciated.  I have seen a lot of posts on other sites about replacing head pickups, but most of the time the answers aren't that helpful.  Nobody seems to understand what's not to like about the baseline tone.

For reference, I really liked Steve steven's VHII demo tone.  Just don't know how those would sound in a brighter guitar.  A local shop suggested holy divers or emeralds...

Thanks

Telerocker

• Middleweight
Re: Suggest replacements for Music Man Axis (too muddy)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 04:48:59 PM »
You can't go wrong with Divers here. The VHII-bridge is definitely a tad brighter, but with good midrange and enough meat in the bass. It's punchy, noncompressed and you can steer the amount of sustain/scream/overtones really with your pick. It's quite tight for a vintage hot PAF.
Mules, VHII, Crawler, MM's, IT's, BG50's.

gwEm

• Middleweight
    • http://www.preromanbritain.com/gwem
Re: Suggest replacements for Music Man Axis (too muddy)
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 10:03:33 AM »
The demos that Steve Stevens did for BKP have turned out to be very accurate compared to the actual results I get myself.

I think the VH2 would sound good in a musicman
Quote from: AndyR
you wouldn't use the meat knife on crusty bread but, equally, the serrated knife and straight edge knife aren't going to go through raw meat as quickly