Username: Password:

Author Topic: Anyone got a Squier VM Mustang?  (Read 4794 times)

Elliot

• Welterweight
Anyone got a Squier VM Mustang?
« on: August 19, 2017, 09:35:30 PM »
I want a Mustang - and the vintage olympic white Squier version looks the nicest.  I like the oliver green Fender one as well, but the lack of a trem and the vintage switching puts me off.

Anyone used the Squier VM?  I heard they are a bugger to set up, but then so are vintage Mustangs. 

Thoughts?
BKPS: Milks, P90s, Apaches, Mississippi Queens, Mules, PG Blues, BG FP 50s, e.60s strat custom set

Telerocker

• Middleweight
Re: Anyone got a Squier VM Mustang?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 03:17:02 PM »
Ask yourself the question why you want one? Bec they are a bit different than standard scale guitars. I think they are good value for the money and worth upgrading.
Mules, VHII, Crawler, MM's, IT's, BG50's.

gwEm

• Middleweight
    • http://www.preromanbritain.com/gwem
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 09:30:13 AM »
checkout the current fender MIM duo-sonics and hardtail mustangs. i have one and think they are great.

i wanted a mustang a while back and checked out a whole bunch including the MIJ Cobain one, and also some vintage MIA ones. the bridges just feels flimsy to me, even with a tune-o-matic.

i tried a Squier VM mustang and it was as expected. decent guitar, some cheap feeling parts. i'd have got it, but i don't like that mustang trem system.
Quote from: AndyR
you wouldn't use the meat knife on crusty bread but, equally, the serrated knife and straight edge knife aren't going to go through raw meat as quickly

Telerocker

• Middleweight
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 09:18:06 PM »
Those Squiers Mustang are quite cheap and some parts may feel like it's pricetag, but that goes for a lot Squiers. Better quality, higher price.

Dave Sloven

• Welterweight
    • Get our album here (alnico Black Hawks)
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 10:04:24 PM »
Usually on the VM series it's the nut which needs to be replaced, which is quite common anyway with setups.

The tuners and bridge might look and feel a little cheap but generally on the VM they are much better than cheaper series (e.g., Affinity) and functionality is good.

But definitely count on replacing the nut.
BLACK HAWKS
IMPULSES
COBRA-T
WAR PIGS
STOCKHOLM
COLD SWEATS
MIRACLE MAN
TRUE GRIT

https://slovendoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Elliot

• Welterweight
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 10:31:13 AM »
Thanks everyone. 

The 24 inch scale doesn't bother me as I play a Jaguar and have small hands - and I put a Earvanna nut on all my guitars, so that'll be the first change. 

I had a go on a vintage 1967 Mustang and the problem with the tuning and the bridge was just as apparent as the Squier.  It seems to be the whole tremolo system, so the Squier VM is probably no different (albeit cheaper) than vintage mustangs.  I think I'll take gwEm's advice and get one of the newer hard tail Fenders - I want the old skool switching but I figure that can be added at any time by getting a new scratchplate and some switches.
BKPS: Milks, P90s, Apaches, Mississippi Queens, Mules, PG Blues, BG FP 50s, e.60s strat custom set

Telerocker

• Middleweight
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 10:14:23 AM »
Thanks everyone. 

The 24 inch scale doesn't bother me as I play a Jaguar and have small hands - and I put a Earvanna nut on all my guitars, so that'll be the first change. 

I had a go on a vintage 1967 Mustang and the problem with the tuning and the bridge was just as apparent as the Squier.  It seems to be the whole tremolo system, so the Squier VM is probably no different (albeit cheaper) than vintage mustangs.  I think I'll take gwEm's advice and get one of the newer hard tail Fenders - I want the old skool switching but I figure that can be added at any time by getting a new scratchplate and some switches.

Right, the tremsystem is a wellknown designissue.