Username: Password:

Author Topic: NGD - Feline Lion Cub DC  (Read 5403 times)

AndyR

• Welterweight
  • Where's all the top end gone?
    • My Offerings
NGD - Feline Lion Cub DC
« on: August 23, 2017, 05:35:02 PM »
It's a fabulous new Feline Lion Cub DC.

Many thanks Jonathan, good to see you again. Really proud to say that I finally own a Feline now :)

And many thanks to Mrs R for saying "Ooh that's pretty - what is it?" when I was looking at a picture of it online (in fact this very picture). I wasn't meant to be buying any more guitars this year, and her saying that is what kicked it all off a few weeks ago!

Play or Download AndyR Music at http://www.alonetone.com/andyr

gwEm

• Middleweight
    • http://www.preromanbritain.com/gwem
Re: NGD - Feline Lion Cub DC
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 05:42:52 PM »
Congrats!

Believe it or not I actually played that very guitar last week.

My assessment of it was that the body was extremely resonant, with a very high end feel to the instrument overall. The oil finish was lovely to touch and look at as well.

I happened to ask Jonathan if he ever did any finishes of that type and he pulled that out to give me a look. I wasn't tempted myself, but I did think at the time it would be a lovely guitar for someone.
Quote from: AndyR
you wouldn't use the meat knife on crusty bread but, equally, the serrated knife and straight edge knife aren't going to go through raw meat as quickly

Dave Sloven

• Welterweight
    • Get our album here (alnico Black Hawks)
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 01:16:58 AM »
That's a nice guitar!
BLACK HAWKS
IMPULSES
COBRA-T
WAR PIGS
STOCKHOLM
COLD SWEATS
MIRACLE MAN
TRUE GRIT

https://slovendoom.bandcamp.com/releases

blue

• Welterweight
    • http://www.bebo.com/blue1million
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 02:39:11 PM »
That's a beauty, Andy!  Congratulations :)
cry HAVOC!! and let slip the pigs of war!!!

Plenum n Heather

• Lightweight
  • BKPs:
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 07:08:47 PM »
Sick guitar!

Telerocker

• Middleweight
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 12:52:02 AM »
Damn, that makes me dream about a Junior again. Congrats, supernice guitar.
Mules, VHII, Crawler, MM's, IT's, BG50's.

Kiichi

• Welterweight
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 07:05:37 PM »
That is the kind of Junior that would tempt me too. Congrats!
BKPs in use: 10th set / RY set / Holy Diver b, Emerald n / Crawler bridge, Slowhand mid MQ neck/ Manhattan n
On the sidelines: Stockholm b / Suppermassive n, Mule n, AM set, IT mid

richard

• Lightweight
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 01:35:09 PM »
Looks great. I love the look of single P90 guitars.
PRS Bernie Marsden Abraxas set
PRS S2 Singlecut RY's
JV Strat  IT Bridge
Gibson SG JB bridge
Fender Mex Tele Thinline TV Jones Classics
Fender Bassbreaker 15
Yamaha THR 100 Dual
Quilter Aviator Cub

AndyR

• Welterweight
  • Where's all the top end gone?
    • My Offerings
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 07:06:58 PM »
It's the first single-pickup guitar I've ever owned. I was a little concerned when I was trying it because it was quite "spikey" sounding for me at first. OK on a bridge pickup for me, but with no switch to a neck or middle (both of which I'm used to using a lot) available, I was feeling a little "am I going to be able to make this work for me?".

After I'd decided to buy, we immediately switched the 10s that were on it for my usual 11s, that improved it in my hands. But we were still wondering about "live with it for a few days - we can swap the AV pickup for an AII".

But it turns out there was no need to worry - the AV works fine for me on my amps. And now I've resoldered the tone so it's modern rather than 50s wiring, it's even better - biting, chunky, cutting, warm, whatever I want it to be using the volume and tone. I'm almost getting used to one pickup!

I stuck with the 50s for a few days, and then got the soldering iron out to see what the difference was. WOO!! I really don't like the effect that 50s wiring has on a volume control. I can see now why many people like it, but it seems to make me feel like the pickups are thinner sounding and weedier than I want (same effect as a treble bleed circuit has on me - I replaced a Baja Tele's pickups before I realised it was a treble bleed not weedy pickups). I end up having to have the volume control on full all the time with 50s, with modern I'm able to use the volume control like I want... the exact opposite of what folks who like 50s say about it! :grin:

I might yet swap the log volume pot out for a linear because I much prefer how linear works for what I want on a volume control. That's actually more important for me on a twin pickup/volume guitar, but with my amps I'm used to going down to 3-4 before I get the effect that 7-8 gives on log pots.

Set-up wise, I had to raise the action quite a bit - it will go a LOT lower than I can cope with! lol

Like gwEm says, it's REALLY resonant and lively acoustically. You can get quite a snap out of it, playing it like a tele. Treat it like a Les Paul and it does just what you'd expect. Very very versatile guitar.

Loving it. It seems to get better each day.
Play or Download AndyR Music at http://www.alonetone.com/andyr

MrBump

• Welterweight
  • Essex! Home of the Brave!!!
    • This Is Essex
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 12:30:59 PM »
Very tasty indeed.
BKPs Past and Present - Nailbombs, Mules, Blackguard Flat 50's, VHII's & Trilogy Suite with Neck & Bridge Baseplates!

FELINEGUITARS

• Middleweight
  • London & Southeast's Number 1 BKP stockist
    • http://www.felineguitars.com
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2017, 04:56:49 PM »
Good to hear how you are getting on with it Andy.
Also interesting how certain mods do or don't work for different people.
Everyone is different, but easy fixes from the sound of it.
www.felineguitars.com - repairs & custom built
Great fretwork!
Buy your BKPs & Earvana from ME!