Username: Password:

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Pickups / Re: Pick up warranty and low volume problem
« Last post by b.gandt on June 11, 2021, 05:53:37 PM »
Is it possible for one end of a bar magnet do demagnetize?   I don't know enough to say one way or another.

I mention that because I had a bar nag in a P90 have the same volume loss over the B and e strings.  The winder, a small volume guy here in the States just sent another one right away, and didn't really say much other than "Another one is on the way".

I know even less about the rest of your pickup issues!  Best wishes with them.
Pickups / Re: HSP90 vs P90
« Last post by julio77 on June 11, 2021, 05:53:06 PM »
You're right about the way to make a right comparison between a P90 and a HSP90, so many parameters to take into account.

Yes i've tweaked the pickup height and the pole pieces too and it does change the sound, again the MQ is a very nice pickup but I would like to try something a bit less fat, so the Blue Note is teasing me right now.

You've owned both a Nantucket and a Bluenote, right ?
How similar or different are these ?

Thanks
Pickups / Re: Abraxas or Crawler for Custom 24 bridge
« Last post by b.gandt on June 10, 2021, 11:32:15 PM »
Emerald / Riff Raff finally arrived. If everything goes well I will be putting them in next week

Cool!
Pickups / Re: Squier John5 upgrade
« Last post by RobAbrams84 on June 10, 2021, 04:01:47 PM »
That clip could be handled with the Holydiver for sure.  Of course, the amp, pedals, speaker cabinet, and on and on make up a huge part of the sound also.  I still think that a Rebel Yell set would be good for you, if you know that you like the neck pickup.  The Holydiver neck pickup is very cool, but it's pretty unique to me, sort of jangly and bright and almost single-coil like.
« Last post by Dave Sloven on June 10, 2021, 11:47:58 AM »
That recent clip you posted of Mick Mars, sounds like a thicker pickup in the low mids.  Miracle Man might be closer to that.

The classic '80s Mick Mars sound is more like a Rebel Yell, less bottom end more high mids.  Another band that the Rebel Yell reminds me of is Ratt.

Actually the low mids in that clip are really fat.  Might be closer to an alnico Black Hawk or something like that. A Holy Diver?

A lot of that sound would be in the amps, strings, even picks
« Last post by Lotower on June 10, 2021, 10:44:45 AM »
Miracle Man has a bigger bottom end, less mids and more high end.  Quite different from the Rebel Yell

Would you say this would sound closer to the clip, rather than RYs?
« Last post by Dave Sloven on June 10, 2021, 10:38:43 AM »
Miracle Man has a bigger bottom end, less mids and more high end.  Quite different from the Rebel Yell

I don't think the War Pig or Silo will get you anywhere near Mick Mars.

An alternative pickup might be the Holy Diver.
« Last post by Lotower on June 10, 2021, 09:54:53 AM »
Thank you all so much for your feedback!  :azn:

So I take the overall suggestion is to go with the set, rather than an "unbalanced" setup e.g. RY for neck, Silo or Warpig for bridge?
Is there a specific advantage for the balanced set against a "mixed" combo?

-- EDIT: for reference, this is the "Mick Mars" version of sound I'm looking for, a "Motley Crue '94" era sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZNk3eQWK-w
Of course, to consider that he's chaining three different heads together, so pickups are probably 10% of his sound, but still as a reference for what I'm looking for.

How would you compare Rebel Yells to Miracle Man?
« Last post by Dave Sloven on June 10, 2021, 09:36:36 AM »
I remembered seeing this clip which I think is the closest I've seen to a Tele-ish guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20zSjw98Gvg

Yeah I remembered that clip as well, because I think the construction of that guitar is quite similar, other than having the FR
« Last post by RobAbrams84 on June 09, 2021, 10:00:50 PM »
It sounds like you should just get the Rebel Yell set if you like the neck pickup.  The bridge pickup is universally praised, caveat that it's quite hot as ericsabbath said. 
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10