Username: Password:

Author Topic: Back to Uni at 40, argh...  (Read 42603 times)

HTH AMPS

• Middleweight
    • HTH AMPS
Re: Back to Uni at 40, argh...
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2014, 11:51:45 PM »
I've only read this thread today.

Back in the day when it was a grant, I could understand the idea of not being able to get a second one if you've already received one for the same level... I considered a second degree years ago (before it switched to loans), and although it meant I couldn't do it, it seemed perfectly reasonable to me that I couldn't get a second grant...

But now it's loans, not grants, and especially if you've already paid the first one off... doesn't seem quite as acceptable to me.

I do hope you can find some way to do it.

Yep, thats my major beef - if you have an outstanding loan from your first degree, then fair enough - you shouldn't get a further loan.  However, if the loan is repaid, then I see no reason why this option would not be offered again - seems mad to me  :(

dave_mc

• Middleweight
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2014, 07:17:05 PM »
^ You could even make the case that that's silly. I mean, if you've done a degree which doesn't pay enough to let you pay off that loan, your loan is eventually written off... but if they gave you another loan to do a more sensible degree, you may then earn enough to pay off both loans.

I could be wrong, but I also kind of get the feeling that it'd happen rarely enough (people wanting to do second degrees) that, whether with the old grant system or the newer loan system, they're possibly trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. If they suddenly funded second degres for anyone who wanted it, would there be a raft of people taking that up? As I said, I could be wrong, but I doubt it. Most people will take the well-paid job over a second degree, I'd have thought.

Plus I mean if you can't get a job, training further is probably a good idea. Not funding someone to do a second degree which may lead to a good job and then paying to have them on the dole (or even topping up low pay with tax credits and the like) possibly costs more in the long run.

I just don't like the idea of getting one shot at it- obviously I have personal beef with this as I feel I chose badly, but at the same time when you're making up your mind at 16 (actually probably 14 when it comes to choosing GCSEs), often with iffy careers advice...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 07:22:33 PM by dave_mc »

5F6-A

• Lightweight
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2014, 03:43:48 PM »
I'm also 40 and I'm doing a doctorate in a prestigious University while teaching full time in a tough secondary school. Thank goodness, funding is not a problem (got a scholarship) and my supervisors are great too. My only problem is juggling a very demanding job, family life and time to read, research and write academic stuff. No wonder I hardly play my guitar these days...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 03:51:18 PM by 5F6-A »
"I now consider atheism to be brutal because it offers neither consolation nor liberty of any kind" Benjamin Constant in 1804
"Practice until you can hear the metronome grooving" Carol Kaye

Alex

• Welterweight
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2014, 01:12:40 PM »
Sometimes I think I should sign up for med school...  :(
I'm 34 and that holds me really back from doing this.
Current BKPs: Miracle Man, Nailbomb, Juggernaut, VHII
Past BKPS: Holy Diver, Trilogy Suite, Sinner, Black Dog

forestcaver

• Flyweight
    • My DIY Guitars
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2014, 03:32:59 PM »
Alex - I went to med school at 35... PM me if you have any questions....

Dave Sloven

• Welterweight
    • Get our album here (alnico Black Hawks)
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2019, 03:09:53 AM »
This thread is so old, I thought it might have been the OP popping in to tell us he's received his degree ...
BLACK HAWKS
IMPULSES
COBRA-T
WAR PIGS
STOCKHOLM
COLD SWEATS
MIRACLE MAN
TRUE GRIT

https://slovendoom.bandcamp.com/releases

one

• Featherweight
  • Nailbomb, Cold Sweat, Warpig, Juggernauts
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2019, 08:38:37 AM »
I finished my second degree a couple of weeks ago and had my 40 bday last month. Psychology, in case someone is curious. Thanks to the reanimator troll for giving me this oportunity  :grin: