Poll

Work or Chops?

Slave to money
4 (36.4%)
Junior guitar god
7 (63.6%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: August 11, 2005, 08:05:10 PM

Author Topic: My Summer Plans  (Read 15565 times)

willo

• Welterweight
My Summer Plans
« on: June 12, 2005, 08:05:10 PM »
Ok, so uni is out for the summer, but i have a dilemma...which i'd like to share  :wink:  this summer i originally planned on working all summer to earn about £3000. i was wanting to buy a nice Matamp half stack, a strat style guitar with BKP's (to complement my LP), and to finish my pedal board off too.
but, i have come to realise that i only ever use the clean channel on my line 6 amp, and all the distortion is from pedals. I am quite liking my tone now (its somewhere in the player's section under 'VHII's Trebly'). My pedal board is largely complete too -  so im not desperate to get that Matamp now. Of course, id like to, but im not absolutely desperate to get it right now. I figure i can get it at some other point, along with the strat.
I have come to think that maybe i would like to spend my summer just keeping fit for the Great North Run im doing in summer :?  and getting my chops together on the old guitar. I havent had the opportunity to really practise hard for a while so im thinking i might do that this summer - after all, what does a matamp mean if you cant play too good?

but i am a libra, i cant do decisions, so please vote and help me out with my painfully slow decision-making?

thanks
-willo
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away...

Ratrod

• Middleweight
My Summer Plans
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 08:13:15 PM »
Don't be a slave to money. Let money be your slave.

Otherwise: Become a rap star.
BKP user since 2004: early 7K Blackguard 50

jt

• Welterweight
My Summer Plans
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 08:24:27 PM »
:shock: Hi "Willo" speaking as a fellow Libran why not do both ??
get a 9 - 5 job ride a bike into work to help keep you fit & when you get home you can practice !!?  :D
God I could do with a Gin & Tonic !

willo

• Welterweight
My Summer Plans
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 08:27:00 PM »
Quote from: jt
get a 9 - 5 job ride a bike into work to help keep you fit & when you get home you can practice !!?  :D

ah yes, but thats my second dilemma: if i work from my uni home im almost completely on my own all summer, but i can get to and from work easily. if i go home though, i'll see my family and friends which is good, but basically i live in the wirral and most of the factory jobs are out in wales which is a bit of a shite. i would like to get an office job in liverpool but they are kind of like gold dust.

i like ratrod's plan. maybe i could use my english literature degree skills to be a super-literate MC? :D

maliciousteve

My Summer Plans
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 10:07:10 PM »
mixture of the two for me. I need to work to get the money to buy a new guitar but i'm also gonna be working on my sweep picking and just become a better player. Time to get damn serious when i finish college in a week or so!  :D

HJM

• Welterweight
My Summer Plans
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2005, 10:25:58 PM »
Junior guitar god - Matamps are no good if you can't play. There really pure so there's nothin to hide behind. All the mistakes are loud and proud!
Apache,VHII,Emerald,Nailbomb,MiracleMan,StormyMonday,BlackDog,Trilogy,Mothersmilk,Sultans+Sinner

bucketshred

• Welterweight
  • Groovy
My Summer Plans
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2005, 11:06:12 PM »
Be a guitar god, it's more fun that way!

What HJM said about the MATAMP's has really put me off, I'm such a shitee and sloppy player.

Andy!
GREAT GOOGILY MOOGILY!

HJM

• Welterweight
My Summer Plans
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2005, 06:39:56 AM »
I had to sort my playing out.... :x
Apache,VHII,Emerald,Nailbomb,MiracleMan,StormyMonday,BlackDog,Trilogy,Mothersmilk,Sultans+Sinner

bucketshred

• Welterweight
  • Groovy
My Summer Plans
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2005, 09:38:13 AM »
Aye, I could imagine that everyone would, but I'm REALLY sloppy.  Worse than Jimmy Page sloppy.

Andy!
GREAT GOOGILY MOOGILY!

dooogz

• Bantamweight
    • http://www.silverelectric.co.uk
My Summer Plans
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2005, 09:00:05 PM »
im planning the guitar option - but it wont happen!
Ibanez RG 120, Epi LP studio, Dean Z88

Laney AOR pro tube 100, Marshall 1960b cab

willo

• Welterweight
My Summer Plans
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2005, 02:29:39 PM »
well, tomorrow i am going home to study guitar for the next 3 months. I dont think i will be working this summer, at least not for long at all, anyway! wish me luck in my quest for chops! :)

rinse_master

• Featherweight
My Summer Plans
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2005, 03:21:31 PM »
Quote from: willo
well, tomorrow i am going home to study guitar for the next 3 months. I dont think i will be working this summer, at least not for long at all, anyway! wish me luck in my quest for chops! :)

Good luck!

I was gonna suggest a bit of both, but it seems a bit unpractical.
"What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet, sweet music?"

Johnny Mac

• Middleweight
    • Ultimate Guitar Profile
My Summer Plans
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2005, 11:40:43 PM »
It takes more than one summer to achieve that status! Do some work and practise. If you get up well before your due out the door then you have just bought some time to practise. It's a great way to start the day! (headphones are a must though) Then get the gear you want but give it a long test with your guitar first. Give up telly. It's shitee. Then you have a whole evening to practise too. I've done it for years. Guitar god? Me? You must be joking but you might be born with that talent, so who knows!! Do the boring stuff in the morning then come home and do the stuff you want to play 8)
Warpig, MQ,
Miracle Man-Trilogy Suite, Cold Sweats, Black Guards, Rebel Yells & Irish Tours!

Johnny Mac

• Middleweight
    • Ultimate Guitar Profile
My Summer Plans
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2005, 11:42:21 PM »
Quote from: willo
Quote from: jt

ah yes, but thats my second dilemma: if i work from my uni home im almost completely on my own all summer, but i can get to and from work easily. if i go home though, i'll see my family and friends which is good, but basically i live in the wirral and most of the factory jobs are out in wales which is a bit of a shitee. i would like to get an office job in liverpool but they are kind of like gold dust.

Get in with a Builder! Then you get paid to work out too!
Warpig, MQ,
Miracle Man-Trilogy Suite, Cold Sweats, Black Guards, Rebel Yells & Irish Tours!