Username: Password:

Author Topic: Making two single coils into a humbucker  (Read 6467 times)

MDV

• Middleweight
  • If it sounds good it IS good
Making two single coils into a humbucker
« on: July 09, 2005, 03:06:46 PM »
Hi guys

I have a bit of a cheeky question (cheeky because its not for BKP's), I hope you dont mind helping anyway though.

I have an HSS guitar that I dont mind carving up a bit, several spare SC's and half a plan.

I want to turn it into an HSH guitar with two SC's in the neck and fill in the space with another SC in the middle position. So my question is can I just treat the two SC's as a HB and wire them together in series? THEN can I tap the north coil (as it would be) in 4th position on a standard issue 5 way selector?

If someone can just give me a yes or no to this I'll figure out the actual wiring myself.

Thanks in advance.

Mark.

Davey

• Welterweight
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 03:41:05 PM »
i asked that around and never got a definite answer.. always a not adviseable.. not hum canceling and wind issues also problems with magnets and such..

lets see what the BKP gurus say =)

very good question if you ask me

PhilKing

• Welterweight
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 12:34:10 PM »
If you have a RWRP single coil you can make it into a H/B with a regular one.  I have 2 Triolgy's wired like this in a HSS set up.
So many pickups, so little time

MDV

• Middleweight
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2005, 01:34:34 PM »
That sounds like light at the end of the tunnel: but what does RWRP mean? And how do I know if my pickups are it?

tech33

• Flyweight
rwrp
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2005, 02:34:44 PM »
it  maens reverse wound, reverese polarity. The sort of pickup you get in the middle position in a strst to give the humcancelling effect in position 2 and 4.
can you do it while i wait?

PhilKing

• Welterweight
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2005, 03:38:28 PM »
If you put the top of one pickup against the other and they attract, then they are reverse polarity, if they repel they are the same.  The wind is easier to fix, if you wire the pickup in series (ie one pickup black to white), if they have a very clean out phase sound then try reversing them (black to black).

If the magnets are not reverse polarity, then you are stuck unless you want to remagnetise or flip them  (neither is easy) :grrr:
So many pickups, so little time

MDV

• Middleweight
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2005, 03:46:17 PM »
Ok, cool guys, thanks.

Time to break out the soldering iron and see if this shite can work with what I've got here.

MDV

• Middleweight
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2005, 07:28:45 PM »
Tested in bridge position (so I didnt have to carve anything to find out it didnt work!) and it works.

Go for it davey :twisted:

indysmith

• Welterweight
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 10:01:36 PM »
AWESOME. nicely done
LOVING the Mules!