Username: Password:

Author Topic: Couple of acoustic covers I've recorded  (Read 1728 times)

_tom_

• Middleweight
Couple of acoustic covers I've recorded
« on: May 12, 2009, 08:22:14 PM »
For a radio project at uni we've needed to record some "live lounge" covers. Got the singer from my old band to come up and the other guitarist to play whilst I helped set up the mics, record it and process it. Its been my first time "properly" recording and mixing a song so any advice would be great. I think they sound allright, the fact that he's a really good singer helps a lot :) The mp3 compression seems to have added a few unwanted artefacts and muddiness but hopefully its not too bad..

http://hc.bloodyvelvet.com/files/254/Sex%20On%20Fire.mp3

http://hc.bloodyvelvet.com/files/254/Maybe%20Tomorrow.mp3

If anyone cares, the mics were a Rode NT-1A for vocals and AKG C1000S for guitar. We wanted to get C414s but they were all out yesterday/today. Recorded through a Digidesign 002/Pro Tools, using stock pro tools eq, compression and reverb plugins.

Jonny

• Welterweight
  • Seven-String Financial Analyst in Training
Re: Couple of acoustic covers I've recorded
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 08:36:00 PM »
He is a good singer indeed.
"Would you like some lemon oil?"
"Oh, no thanks, I don't eat fruit."

Oli

• Lightweight
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 08:53:15 PM »
The vocals sound good :) The guitar could do with a little more high end- it sounds like it was aimed towards the soundhole/bridge? Maybe try moving it slightly further up the neck- you'll get a bit less pick attack too. Overall it sounds pretty good though- the biggest difference you can make is to use other plugins for the compression and reverb- the protools compressor especially is quite harsh, if you can use another compressor, you'll get even better results :)

Good job though, keep the recordings coming!
Nailbomb, VHII, Warpig 7, MQ, Black Dog, 10th Anniversary

_tom_

• Middleweight
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 10:54:05 PM »
I think the mic was pointed towards the soundhole but was positioned around the 12th fret. We were going to dual mic it but thought it would be best to keep things simple.

I dont think we can use external plugins with pro tools as we only use the program on the uni computers which have restricted access obviously because of viruses etc.. I would never buy it for home use, I much prefer Reaper :P

Bradock PI

• Featherweight
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 11:22:14 PM »
Yup cool sounds - is it not better to use a combination of piezo pickup and mic for acoustic recordings ?

_tom_

• Middleweight
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 11:31:31 PM »
I dunno to be honest. We were going to try that but I dont think the 002 has a hi-z input (if thats even the right thing to use from a piezo pickup) so didnt bother.

Elliot

• Welterweight
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 10:23:09 AM »
Personally I hate the sound of piezo with mike - I know its the professional way these days but listen to some of the acoustic greats who have been around for a bit like John Renbourn or Bert Jansch and you can tell when piezo's were added to their guitars because they lost the natural sound and became all pingy sounding.  Another example was the late great Eric Roche's Guitar Techniques lessons - great playing, but terrible sterile sound cause by the piezo.   Its like using a modeller for electric - handy, but ultimately unsatisfying.

Nice playing Tom - If I had one criticism its a bit too boomy in the recording, but that's a matter of experimentation with the mic.  Keep on going.
BKPS: Milks, P90s, Apaches, Mississippi Queens, Mules, PG Blues, BG FP 50s, e.60s strat custom set

Crazy_Joe

• Welterweight
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 03:54:06 PM »
I like it, very nice cover. Vocals are pretty good too.
Black Dogs

Previous BKP's: Riff Raff, Holy Divers, Painkillers, C. Warpig, Nailbomb, Miracle Man.

hunter

• Middleweight
    • http://www.myspace.com/christophjaeger
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 04:31:05 PM »
very nice!
Tweaker's Paradise - Player's nightmare.

FernandoDuarte

• Welterweight
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 06:02:37 PM »
Like both, but I think the second you played more fluid :)

38thBeatle

• Middleweight
    • http://www.myspace.com/alteregoukband
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 07:00:55 PM »
I like the guys voice. I think recording is a very difficult art and I couldn't pretend to make suggestions and can only give you my opinion of what it sounds like. I think it was a bit middly for my tastes and a bit of zing could improve it. Bloody hard to get a great acoustic tone though so great job. I have a mate who owns a studio and I seem to recall that he sticks a mic pointing at the neck/body joint fairly close and another about a foot away pointing at the sound hole and gets a nice tone. Another thing he has had me play a second track using a capo and mixing that in.   
Send three and fourpence we're going to a dance
BKP's: Apache, Country Boy, Slowhands.