Username: Password:

Author Topic: CD player  (Read 2115 times)

MDV

• Middleweight
  • If it sounds good it IS good
CD player
« on: March 29, 2007, 11:04:31 AM »
Folks,

I'm after some sort of monster music listenning setup.

This will be based on my PC with its E-Mu 1616M and a good CD player. I had an OK one, but it developed some gay hiss on some distrotion sounds.

I run the E-Mu through the line in of a sony hi fi. Yes, I know, thats a weak link, but then it goes into some old well kept (though not any more!) B&W DM10s. It sounds great.

I want to use the CD player through the Emu with an optical line out, then through the same amp and speakers.

What I want to know is:

What CD players out there are good and not completely bank-breaking? Clarity sound seperation are musts.

Is my general plan good?

I've been thinking of dispensing with the sony and using powered monitors straight out of the EMu. Good plan?
I was thinking Event SP6s or maybe yamaha MSP7s (any better suggestions?)

blue

• Welterweight
    • http://www.bebo.com/blue1million
CD player
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 11:14:40 AM »
why not get a decent stand alone cd player and cut out the computer?  lower power consumption, no fan noise, other points i can't think of now...
cry HAVOC!! and let slip the pigs of war!!!

MDV

• Middleweight
CD player
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 11:39:56 AM »
Well, I basically had that, but

1. I only get the music that I like the most on CD these days, so I have perhaps 300, maybe 350 cds, but about 800 albums on one hard drive of my PC. Yeah, the reduction in quality of MP3s is rather obvious, but not dreadfull, and they're mostly high bitrate so I like to use that most.

2. PCs are the best juke box ever created. Just so easy to queue up thousands of songs and browse.

3. It was hassle spatially: I'm still going to use the PC, theres no 2 ways about that, which means I needed 2 places to keep the buggers: one place was for the stereo and one for the comp and 2 sets of big ass speakers. I dont have that much space. Since I stripped it down to one output with 2 sources I've been a happy man.

So, long stroy short, I will be listenning to the PC. A lot. But I also need a CD player. And I want them through the same amp and speakers for space and no-hassle sake.

TwilightOdyssey

CD player
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 01:18:38 PM »
In the UK, I would look at the following CD players:

Arcam

Musical Fidelity

The next step up would be Naim Audio.

On the EXTREME end of things, in the UK, I would look at dCS.

gingataff

• Welterweight
  • NBVHIIMMPKAHITTSSH
    • My YouTube Channel
CD player
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 04:11:04 PM »
Quote from: TwilightOdyssey
In the UK, I would look at the following CD players:

Arcam

Musical Fidelity

The next step up would be Naim Audio.

On the EXTREME end of things, in the UK, I would look at dCS.

Extreme is most definately the right word for dCS!
Back in the UK I replaced my Arcam hi-fi amp with a Naim pre/power set up , no decent CD player but a Michell Gyrodec turntable and Tom Evans pre-amp more than make up for that 8) A great balance of subtlety and energy.

But here I'm reliant on an iMac with iTunes (mostly playing .wav and .aiff files), a Presonus audio interface and powered monitor speakers. It's not quite the same as but I think it's better than some combo cd player thing, it sounds clean and the timing is good.
I see a rainbow rising
Look there on the horizon
And I'm coming home

TwilightOdyssey

CD player
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 04:20:33 PM »
Which Tom Evans preamp did you have? My shop is a Tom Evans dealer. The Linear A is a great monoblock power amp!

gingataff

• Welterweight
  • NBVHIIMMPKAHITTSSH
    • My YouTube Channel
CD player
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 04:46:09 PM »
Quote from: TwilightOdyssey
Which Tom Evans preamp did you have? My shop is a Tom Evans dealer. The Linear A is a great monoblock power amp!

The Microgroove. The cheapest one 8) I got it custom set up for a Dynavector 17D2 cartridge (The one with the diamond cantilever) which has a very low output, and it's great, you have to position it away from power supplies as it's  very sensitive to interference but it has a wonderful natural sound. Also Tom Evans is based in Wales (another 'Taff), which makes his products even better :lol:
I see a rainbow rising
Look there on the horizon
And I'm coming home

MDV

• Middleweight
CD player
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 11:54:33 AM »
Cheers TO

Any particular models to look out for?