Username: Password:

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Pickups / Re: Which bridge humbucker has the most lows?
« Last post by b.gandt on February 18, 2024, 12:15:47 AM »
Iíve used the Mules and a Crawler.

The Mule Set was in a PRS Korina single cut, the Crawler is in a H configured MIJ Basswood Strat.

My Crawler has sufficient bite for the older school hard rock that I often play, but a description that someone, maybe BKP, gave was that it growls rather than screams.  That seems to be fairly accurate.  But, it certainly isnít a dull top end, at least in my Strat.

Personally, I thought that the Mules had better cut, but less in the low end.  Maybe you can dial in sufficient lows in with your amp?

What style of music do you play?
Tech / Can't find the right wiring for my new set of BKP
« Last post by nicotine.naze on February 09, 2024, 01:06:37 PM »
Hi

I received my new set Silo's a couple of days ago and at this point I just can't install them correctly, they just sound out of phase and I don't know how to solve this issue, I always struggled installing new pickups.

I had previously installed on my Ibanez AZ a set of Dimarzio Fusion Edge, so I looked at the wiring color chart to see which color is what in the BKP world and applied it to my setup (Ibanez 3SWLDMX10-2 5 way switch) replacing the Dimarzio wires by the BKP's being red for white, green for red, white for green and black for black (Dimarzio to BKP color conversion) but my 4th position sound like a single coil bridge pickup which doesn't make sense.

Can someone tell me which color goes with every soldering point and also tell me which orientation the pickup goes to as well because unfortunately BKP doesn't tell you which part of the PU is north or south even thought I looked at the guide. I'm confused, maybe these pickup are made a certain way that make them sound completely different from what I've had in the past.

I'm lost

The switch https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/QscAAOSwv~hj6ivC/s-l1600.jpg
Pickups / Re: Compare lower output neck humbuckers?
« Last post by RobAbrams84 on January 31, 2024, 05:28:21 AM »
I haven't decided on a bridge humbucker yet, in the past I've had a harder time finding a neck humbucker for my tastes so I wanted to start there and then match the bridge to that.

I generally like Alnico 5 neck humbuckers, but I'm not sure if the Riff Raff will sound as classically like a Les Paul or more like a Seymour Duncan Jazz.  I kind of want an excuse to buy a Black Dog frankly, but I'm worried that it would be too similar to the VHII that I didn't like very much.  More liquidy/smooth or something, it's hard to describe what I didn't like about the VHII, but it seemed too high output and too bassy.  I'm after a Les Paul Standard neck tone, one of the Alnico 5 Burstbucker Pro neck tones, not a '57 Classic or historic Custombucker or 490R (I hate that pickup) tones if that makes sense. 
Pickups / Re: Compare lower output neck humbuckers?
« Last post by b.gandt on January 30, 2024, 11:12:56 PM »
Iíve used a Mule set in a Korina single cut SE neck, and Iíd say it sounds  vintage Lester-like.

How hot will your bridge humbucker be?  I donít know how much more than a Mule neck a Riff Raff neck will put out, as I havenít used it.  Specs look relatively close.

Pickups / Re: Crawler split volume drop
« Last post by RobAbrams84 on January 28, 2024, 06:36:42 PM »
The first thing to do, of course, is to check the wiring.  Bare Knuckle uses different wiring color codes than Seymour Duncan, Gibons, etc.  The next thing to do is to measure the DC resistance of the total humbucker and then each individual coil, it could be that one of your coils is broken or partially shorted inside (so that you aren't getting the full output of that coil). 

If that all looks good, make sure again that you are splitting the "correct" coii.  If you're using the bridge Crawler and splitting the outside/screw coii (the one closest to the saddles), then it's naturally going to sound more thin and quieter than the coil closest to the neck (in this case the slug coil).  So you could physically mount the pickup in reverse, or you could rewire it to activate the slug coil when split, not the screw coil. 

Lastly if that all works correctly, then you can use some partial coil split resistors (I suggest Googling them).
Pickups / Crawler split volume drop
« Last post by Iced Dragon on January 28, 2024, 11:21:10 AM »
Hi all,

I have a Crawler bridge, which I had put in a Hamer Centaura. One of the reasons I chose this one because it splits nicely. I recently put it into an EBMM Silhouette, and it appears that the single coil split is much more silent than I recall from the Hamer installation (and a previous installation in the Silhouette). The volume drop from humbucker to SC is very noticable. I also have a Stormy Monday neck in the Silhouette where I apply the same principle. The volume drop is negligible, and the SC is much louder then the split Crawler.
I replaced the Crawler with a Dimarzio AT1 in the Hamer, and there as well, the split is not very much dropping in volume.

Am I possibly losing some signal, or do I remember the Crawler split volume incorrectly?

Thanks.
Pickups / Re: Which bridge humbucker has the most lows?
« Last post by RobAbrams84 on January 26, 2024, 02:29:25 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I'm sure you're right that the Crawler has the most bass, but the clips I've heard make it seem to lack some "bite" in the highs (which actually might end up fine in this guitar, not sure).  I almost wonder if I should try the Nailbomb here, though I found it too aggressive in another guitar.  I seem to remember it having both a lot of lows and a very bitey high end.

I'm curious about some of the lower output pickups, does the VHII have a lot of low end?  The Black Dog (I've heard that's more just a lot of mids similar to a Holydiver)? There's a post from someone here saying that the Peacemaker almost sounds like it has a high pass filter on it, like it cuts a lot of the lows below 120 Hz or thereabouts, so I don't think that I want that.  I don't need something bloated, but with deep, extended lows, a very broad frequency response.  Not necessarily wound to be focused a ton on the mids like some of the more modern pickups seem to be, so I wonder if a lower output pickup might be best.

Pickups / Mule vs Riff Raff vs Black Dog neck humbuckers?
« Last post by RobAbrams84 on January 25, 2024, 06:35:22 PM »
I wonder if someone can help to compare some lower output neck humbuckers as I have a new 24-fret Superstrat-style build going.  Of neck humbuckers I've tried the Emerald, Holy Diver, VHII, and True Grit in a Mayones Regius.  I'm looking for something a little more vintage sounding, something that would get this Superstrat neck to sound closer to a classic Les Paul neck humbucker sound.

Of the pickups I tried before in the Regius, I felt that the Emerald was overall too warm/lacking in highs and bite.  The Holy Diver was pretty bright and even a bit jangly, but kind of clinical and didn't sound much like a classic Les Paul neck pickup.  It was a good sound, though.  The VHII was a bit too boomy in the lows to me; not muddy, but more warm and boomy than I'd like, not enough bite and probably more output than I want.  Which leads me to think of the Riff Raff, Mule, or possibly Black Dog.  Can anyone help compare/contrast them with the ones I've played?

Edit to add: I'm sure that The Mule would be a safe bet, but I'm looking at the Riff Raff as a vintage-style Alnico 5 neck humbucker, and possibly the Black Dog.   I imagine the Black Dog neck might be the A5 pickup with the second-lowest output?  If it has less output and more brightness than the VH2, with possibly less bass, it's probably perfect for me.  Alternatively the Riff Raff may be fine but I'm most likely pairing it with a hotter bridge humbucker.
Pickups / Re: Would you be able to help me identify these older BK pickups?
« Last post by bdmolyneux on January 25, 2024, 09:39:40 AM »
The brown color of the wire indicates that this is plain enamel wire (polysol coated wire looks reddish in comparison). Together with the handwritten DC resistance values this could be an Irish Tour set.

Cheers Stephan

Thanks Stephan.

I wrote the resistance on there actually. The seller did say he thought they might be Irish Tour pickups but as the bobbins weren't grey bottomed I wasn't sure. Thank you for the reply. I'm presently trying a different drop-in in that guitar (CS Josafina) but I'm not hearing the tone in my head (do we ever...?). I'll make a fresh drop-in with the BKs (old one had 300k pots and no cap for some reason) and give them a proper go. All the best.
Pickups / Re: Would you be able to help me identify these older BK pickups?
« Last post by darkbluemurder on January 25, 2024, 09:10:38 AM »
The brown color of the wire indicates that this is plain enamel wire (polysol coated wire looks reddish in comparison). Together with the handwritten DC resistance values this could be an Irish Tour set.

Cheers Stephan
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10