Username: Password:

Author Topic: Smacked in the nose and ribs... feels fantastic!  (Read 5724 times)

Nadz1lla

• Welterweight
    • Arcanum Plectra
Smacked in the nose and ribs... feels fantastic!
« on: October 02, 2013, 11:32:06 PM »
Some of you may or may not remember I posted a while back about my only physical activity: Roller Derby.

Well since then, the League I created has grown and we regularly have around 14 people turning up to practice every week.

Because things are always a little slow to start up, my lads in Exeter, the Plymouth guys and the new team in Barnstaple have all banded together to create between us a Devon team. We will have bouts between our individual teams when we all have enough members each that we can field a full team each, but for now we are pooling resources to take on the more established and more populated Bristol team.

Tonight we had our last full practice with all three contingents in the same hall (we do this once per month), and it was a corker! I was cracked in both side of the rib-cage and forced to take myself off the track when coughing and laughing became painful. At some point in the evening I was also shouldered in the face, and I thought I might have broken my nose, but thankfully there was no blood or moving cartilage, so I narrowly escaped that.

I might be battered and bruised, but the pride I feel in watching the League I started on my own from scratch blossom into a fully-functioning Roller Derby team is immensely satisfying!

We play our first bout as the "Kings of Block and Roll" Devon team on the 19th of this month. It's a closed bout as the hall is too small to have a crowd, and as a fledgling team we're still "Bambi legs" in terms of tactics and experience (we expect to get trounced by Bristol), but it's a huge step in Men's Roller Derby in our little corner of the UK.

We've had public bout offers from Glasgow and somewhere in Ireland, which we will take up when we've found our feet and had some more closed bouts under our belt, but I'll post up here when it happens, as we could be coming to a town near you!  :lol:

Just wanted to share. :wink:

Plenum n Heather

• Lightweight
  • BKPs:
Re: Smacked in the nose and ribs... feels fantastic!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 02:11:23 AM »
That's great, man! Enjoy!

blue

• Welterweight
    • http://www.bebo.com/blue1million
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 02:57:57 PM »
sounds like good, brutal fun  PDT_007

Not surprised you feel a bit of pride, glad to hear it's going well and I look forward to hearing more as it continues to grow.

just hope there aren't too many "I'm writing this from a hospital bed" stories  PDT_008
cry HAVOC!! and let slip the pigs of war!!!

bucketshred

• Welterweight
  • Groovy
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 03:35:19 PM »
Round my way, only girls play RollerDerby.

JOKES!! They all get battered an injured! I know three girls who have all played for the last year and had a (badly) broken leg, broken wrist and broken coccyx (sp?) between them. NAILS.

Paddy
GREAT GOOGILY MOOGILY!

Nadz1lla

• Welterweight
    • Arcanum Plectra
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 01:21:06 AM »
Cheers guys!

Yeah Blue we've already had a few injuries at training. I used to skate with a girl's team as a trainer for a while before I set my men's league up, and one of the top girl players cracked me properly in the ribs under my armpit. Took three months for it to stop hurting! Pretty sure I broke or at least fractured it, but I never went to the doc because there's nowt they can really do about it, so I just went to work the next day as usual. I think that's why it took so long to heal, but meh!

I have now invested in a G-Form compression shirt, it's got padded panels on the ribs under the arms, the sternum and the shoulders. The pads are flexible until impact, then they stiffen up, absorb 90% of the shock, and then return to their previous flexible state. Looked like a good thing for me, as I was hammered in both sides last night!

'Shred, you may joke, but them ladies are light-years ahead of us blokes! :D They skate faster and hit harder, but then they've been doing it for a few years already. We've started getting guys coming along who used to play street Hockey, so they're really nimble on their skates but also used to a thorough barrage of brutality, which works really well for us, heh.

We have a chap (one of the ex-Hockey players) who a few months ago lost a fight between his Bicycle and a car, and he ended up basically "de-gloving" part of his calf. He went through a really long and arduous recovery process, and now has a patch of leg where there is skin but hardly any muscle or nerve endings. He has to walk with a cane, but when he straps on his skates, it's like he was never away, and remains probably the best technical skater on our team. Bit of a legend! Apparently he finds it easier to skate than walk because it uses different muscle-groups.  :?

Broken Coccyx is freaking painful! There is no position you can sit, lay or stand in that is even remotely comfortable when that happens, so that lady is a proper trooper, especially if she's back up on skates again. Takes a lot of guts to carry on after a bad injury!  :x

JDC

• Welterweight
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 08:04:02 PM »
Got invited to a roller derby once, checked the facebook invite and it was mostly girls so it looked like a good place to chat up ladies ;)

Nadz1lla

• Welterweight
    • Arcanum Plectra
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 10:02:49 PM »
Got invited to a roller derby once, checked the facebook invite and it was mostly girls so it looked like a good place to chat up ladies ;)

At your peril, dude, at your peril!  :lol:

JDC

• Welterweight
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 05:44:36 AM »

At your peril, dude, at your peril!  :lol:

Recently I've been literally sweeping women off their feet by picking them up and carrying them around in both arms ;)

Might have done it to my wing man too because I thought it was funny... then I did it to another one of my wing men in the middle of the day, down a busy shopping street and only 1 whole person noticed!!!

Johnny Mac

• Middleweight
    • Ultimate Guitar Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 07:43:01 PM »
I like skating, it's great fun. I've got quads, inline & ice hockey skates.
I want to get a longboard. I think they're great fun! :-)
Warpig, MQ,
Miracle Man-Trilogy Suite, Cold Sweats, Black Guards, Rebel Yells & Irish Tours!

Nadz1lla

• Welterweight
    • Arcanum Plectra
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 07:36:13 PM »
I've had three Longboards, they're awesome! I kept the longest (a 58 incher) for cross-stepping and cruising.

I got myself checked out yesterday, I definitely have one cracked rib on my right and two cracked on my left. I'm feeling the pain, now, but apparently at ten days it gets worse for a while. Yay! More pain to look forward to! I can't lay on my back to sleep at the mo, I'm trying to refuse painkillers but I might have to give in at ten days if it gets much worse.  :lol: