Username: Password:

Author Topic: I'm reeeally considering a BKP for the first time ever...  (Read 6901 times)

Mr Ed

• Welterweight
I'm reeeally considering a BKP for the first time ever...
« on: January 30, 2008, 12:10:55 AM »
Normally, I can't bring myself to think about shelling that much cash on a single pickup (or a pair, whatevs) but lately I'm getting less and less happy with my Fernandes Ravelle.

Not the instrument itself, it's perfection for me - mahogany body, nicely weighted, mahogany neck, rosewood board, 5A grade flamed maple top, grover tuners and TOM bridge. Pair of Duncans - JB in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck.

Playing through a nice board of pedals into a JCM900 4100 head (running at 50W) through a 1936 2x12 with a pair of V30's in.

Now, they have ALWAYS been fine for me but since I got my amp retubed, everythings gone a little off-centre. The sound was always balanced for me - the trebley pickups, the bassy bodywood and the middy amp worked well together but now the overall sound is WAY more trebley and its sounding pretty thin. When I plug my Strat in (with Lace Sensors in) it all clicks, it sounds "me" but when I use the Ravelle I find myself needing to twiddle the knobs (heh) to see if I can correct it.

I'm happy with the guitar and amp. I think the easiest link to repair is the pickups.

So, the JB is quite a hot pickup at 16K, T8:M6:B5 and features an alnico 5 magnet... what would the natural BKP replacement be?

I play alternative rock, grunge influenced and I use a high gain amp so something quite hot seems appropriate but I want a fuller sound. I'm more concerned with the bridge at first although, natch, a pair would be better...

Holydiver? Cold Sweat? Miracle Man?

I kinda have trouble choosing from the website because I find the EQ-examples that SD and Dimarzio give to be really helpful. Any advice anyone can give would be greatly appreciated... maybe someone who has a similar setup like a mahog/mahog/rosewood guitar into a high gain amp?

8)

Will

• Welterweight
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 12:31:00 AM »
I would try HD, I have been meaning to put mine in my LP actually, if I have free time in the near future, I shall try and do it in time to comment

_tom_

• Middleweight
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 01:09:38 AM »
I think I read somewhere that the Rebel Yell and the newest version of the Holy Diver are based around the JB. I think the Holy Diver is meant to be the fattest/warmest of the two so I guess if you want to thicken up your guitar thats the way forwards. Of course in a Les Paul style guitar Mules always sound good, but I guess you want more output.

Nolly

• Global Moderator
  • Welterweight
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 01:54:09 AM »
I've found Nailbombs are awesome for alt rock type stuff.

That said, having a high gain amp surely means that you can sacrifice a little output and get the added sensitivity and clarity of lower-output pickups... Worth a thought, though until I get my VHII in the next couple of days, I'm a stranger to the more vintage BKs.

ericsabbath

• Welterweight
    • Colidium
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 07:47:01 AM »
holy diver or nailbomb

what tubes did you install?
you could try JJ tubes in the preamp to darken up the amp (they have more gain too)
Riff Raff, Mules, Black Dog, VHII's, Cold Sweat

Mr Ed

• Welterweight
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 08:44:04 AM »
Quote from: _tom_
I think I read somewhere that the Rebel Yell and the newest version of the Holy Diver are based around the JB. I think the Holy Diver is meant to be the fattest/warmest of the two so I guess if you want to thicken up your guitar thats the way forwards. Of course in a Les Paul style guitar Mules always sound good, but I guess you want more output.

Both of those interest me, a lot. And yarg, I'm a gain whore so I need more output, heh.

Quote from: Nolly
I've found Nailbombs are awesome for alt rock type stuff.

That said, having a high gain amp surely means that you can sacrifice a little output and get the added sensitivity and clarity of lower-output pickups... Worth a thought, though until I get my VHII in the next couple of days, I'm a stranger to the more vintage BKs.

Nailbomb, eh? Good overdriven AND clean? Not muddy?

Quote from: Eric Hellstyle
holy diver or nailbomb

what tubes did you install?
you could try JJ tubes in the preamp to darken up the amp (they have more gain too)

*chalks up one more vote for each of them*

I just went with what the amp already had in as standard - Sovtek ECC83's in the pre-amp and 5881's in the power-amp. I do wanna get JJ's in there at some point but I'm too bloody broke at the mo.

Nolly

• Global Moderator
  • Welterweight
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 08:57:32 AM »
Quote from: Mr Ed

Yep! Probably the most versatile of the contemporary BKs.

badgermark

• Welterweight
  • Mm-hai!
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 09:00:32 AM »
I vote HD, as usual...

Mine is the 16k Alnico version, and it's so freaking awesome. Lovely clean tones too. Seriously good clean actually. Not as dark as some people describe it though, then again I used mine in a Strat, dunno how mahogany would affect it.
Mississippi Queens, Holydiver.

Mr Ed

• Welterweight
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 09:04:12 AM »
Quote from: Mr Ed

Yep! Probably the most versatile of the contemporary BKs.

Hmmmmm, cheers. I think the Nailbomb (maybe with a Cold Sweat neck?) has taken the lead.

ALSO, additional question, would the pickup being covered make a difference? I read somewhere once that covers apparently round off the treble a little?

MDV

• Middleweight
  • If it sounds good it IS good
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 09:15:45 AM »
Yes, thats right. Covered pickups are just a little, tiny bit less sharp.

Mr Ed

• Welterweight
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 09:17:50 AM »
I wonders if maybe a covered Nailbomb and an uncovered Cold Sweat would be a boneriffic combo... or is it really not that noticeable or make that much of a difference?

MDV

• Middleweight
  • If it sounds good it IS good
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 09:21:00 AM »
If you dont play covered and uncovered of the same type one after the other you wont notice.

Its like moving the prescence control from 6, say, to 5.5.

Mr Ed

• Welterweight
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 09:22:41 AM »
Ah gotcha, thanks for that. Most helpful indeed. :)

Nolly

• Global Moderator
  • Welterweight
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 09:25:22 AM »
Covers only make a very subtle difference, it's definitely there, but not something worth obsessing over.
Not so sure on the Cold Sweat. The Nailbomb neck is an amazing pickup, sweeter sounding that the CS, more PAF-y with very fluid and defined lead tones.

You really should run any decision past Tim, he is undoubtedly the man to ask. He always gives stellar advice, and I've never heard of anyone less than thrilled with his recommended pickup.

Mr Ed

• Welterweight
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 09:42:37 AM »
Covers only make a very subtle difference, it's definitely there, but not something worth obsessing over.
Not so sure on the Cold Sweat. The Nailbomb neck is an amazing pickup, sweeter sounding that the CS, more PAF-y with very fluid and defined lead tones.

You really should run any decision past Tim, he is undoubtedly the man to ask. He always gives stellar advice, and I've never heard of anyone less than thrilled with his recommended pickup.

Already done matey ;) I was too tired to email him last night but I did it first thing this morning. And yeah, upon reflection, I think the ceramic in the CS might be a little much for me. I'm thinking an open calibrated (zebra) set of Nailbomb's might be in order - zebra for the bridge and reverse zebra for the neck.

And thanks everyone, a lot, for your advice. Tis appreciated.