Username: Password:

Author Topic: How bright and/or bassy are Cold Sweats?  (Read 10904 times)

Will

• Welterweight
Re: How bright and/or bassy are Cold Sweats?
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2008, 07:06:57 PM »
Order them now, then don't look back :P
I am even thinking of CS in my les paul to replace my MM

Philly Q

• Light Heavyweight
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2008, 07:21:03 PM »
I won't.  Something different is good.

Keep saying it.....

Something different is good, something different is good......

I think it'll be fun to have something that really is different.   :)

I believe most of the time we tend to go chasing "the tone in our heads" so we end up getting bright pickups for dark guitars, dark pickups for bright guitars, single-coils that sound a bit more humbuckerish, humbuckers that sound a bit more single-coilish... and everything ends up sounding kinda the same.
BKPs I've Got:  RR, BKP-91, ITs, VHII, CS set, Emeralds
BKPs I Had:  RY+Abraxas, Crawlers, BD+SM

Twinfan

• Light Heavyweight
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2008, 07:24:38 PM »
Good point Phil - I'm guilty of that.

CSs it is then.  Let's go a bit more modern and metal for the br00talz!!!  :lol:

Yamhammer

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2008, 08:04:59 PM »
I believe most of the time we tend to go chasing "the tone in our heads" so we end up getting bright pickups for dark guitars, dark pickups for bright guitars, single-coils that sound a bit more humbuckerish, humbuckers that sound a bit more single-coilish... and everything ends up sounding kinda the same.

LOL, I'm laughing real hard now :lol:

You're definately right about that.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 12:50:12 AM by Yamhammer »

Johnny Mac

• Middleweight
    • Ultimate Guitar Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2008, 09:32:38 PM »
Good idea to keep the other PRS Dave (I'd never sell a guitar like that!). I've got a pair of Cold Sweats in a LP copy and they are amazing pickups. They can do the low gain stuff well and we all know the neck cleans are really nice. But wind up the wick on the amp and they can almost match the Miracle Man. The sustain on the Chinese Richwood mine are in goes on for ever. In a quality guitar like you have it will turn it in to a beast! If your in a hard rock band i'm sure it will come in very useful. When i go to jams the other guitarist always wants to play my Richwood. Which suits me as his guitar sounds wank.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 09:34:57 PM by Johnny Mac »
Warpig, MQ,
Miracle Man-Trilogy Suite, Cold Sweats, Black Guards, Rebel Yells & Irish Tours!

Twinfan

• Light Heavyweight
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2008, 10:26:26 PM »
Cheers Johnny!  It would be a shame to sell it, as I really like it, so something different pickup-wise will justify me hanging onto it  ;)

Mrs Twinfan has decided Zebras will look best, so that's what I'll be ordering tomorrow....

Johnny Mac

• Middleweight
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2008, 11:15:57 PM »
Mine a zebras too  8) That thing is going to be a rock monster!
Warpig, MQ,
Miracle Man-Trilogy Suite, Cold Sweats, Black Guards, Rebel Yells & Irish Tours!

Philly Q

• Light Heavyweight
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2008, 01:45:04 AM »
Mrs Twinfan has decided Zebras will look best, so that's what I'll be ordering tomorrow....

Hmmm, hadn't considered open coils, they do look good on the McKorina!   :)

I'm going with covers for the Mira though, I think they'd suit the black finish.
BKPs I've Got:  RR, BKP-91, ITs, VHII, CS set, Emeralds
BKPs I Had:  RY+Abraxas, Crawlers, BD+SM

Zaned

• Featherweight
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2008, 06:56:46 AM »
Hi,

I have the CS set in an otherwise stock McCarty. A lightweight and resonant, warm but clear guitar with a good deal of midrange. The Cold Sweat was recommended by Tim and it was definitely the right choise! It's aggressive and has cut, but you'll never describe it with the word 'harsh', with my guitar.

Interesting note about choosing the pickup  for a guitar :) And often very true!

I had both of my current electric guitars for a good while before deciding that I'll replace the pickups. It wasn't a change just for the sake of change, it was because the guitar was not sounding like I wanted it to and the vision had cleared (over time) what I wanted the guitar to sound like.

Another interesting thing in achieving goals with guitars: if your guitar has a tight bass (like a lot of maple wood which tends to tighten BOTH the bass and the highs) and you choose a bottom heavy pickup for it, you'll get a different flavour than if you have a guitar with a lot of loose bass and pair that with a very tight pickup. Both combinations will more or less have the same amount of bottom end, but in the first case, that bottom will be tighter..and the same thing of course applies for the other frequence areas too  :)

-Zaned
Paths are for followers.

PhilKing

• Welterweight
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2008, 07:37:47 AM »
I put the Cold Sweat set in my BC Rich Mockingbird and they sound great in there,  It is a fairly light (SG weight), mahogany guitar.  I have also heard them in alder bolt on and in a Schecter neck through.  They sound very nice and not creamic at all in the brdge - a lot more organic sounding than you might be expecting.  That said, turn it up and they really can drive the amp with a great dynamic yet precise tone.
So many pickups, so little time

Twinfan

• Light Heavyweight
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2008, 08:38:23 AM »
Really looking to hearing how these will sound now!

Twinfan

• Light Heavyweight
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2008, 12:30:14 PM »
All sorted - order placed  :D

Johnny Mac

• Middleweight
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2008, 04:56:39 PM »
I was listening to Motley Crue's latest album (the wasnames of los angles or whatever :?) anyway I thought that the opening tracks first power chords were very like the sound of Cold Sweats. They're extremely versatile I find.
Warpig, MQ,

Twinfan

• Light Heavyweight
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2008, 11:09:29 AM »
A quick update on the Cold Sweats in my McCarty Korina.

I went to fit them last night and realised what I thought were long legs on the original pickups were in fact 'medium' legs.  So the long leg Cold Sweats I ordered wouldn't fit in the bridge.  Doh!  I spoke to Tim this morning, and the legendary customer service from BKP kicked in and he's going to swap them over for me  :)  It means rebuilding the pickup, so many thanks to Tim for agreeing to do this!

As I'd already fitted the neck pickup when I found out my mistake, I gave it a try  ;)  First impression is that this pickup has a bit more 'shove' than the Mule/Stormy Monday/VHII/Riff Raff pickups I've had before.  Due to the high treble voice of the Cold Sweat this didn't become muddy or indistinct.  Quite the opposite in fact, it was very clear and coped with gain very well.  At first I though it was a bit hot and edgy and I was unsure I'd chosen the right thing for me, but after comparing it to my stock McCartys (another korina and also a maple/mahogany) it was just 'more of the same' and I really liked it.  Like the description says really - "The tone is enormous with a detailed intensity and incredible amounts of high end cut and fluid sustain"!!

I can't wait to get them back and try the pair out now, especially that ceramic bridge....

gwEm

• Middleweight
    • http://www.preromanbritain.com/gwem
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2008, 02:33:48 PM »
glad you didn't pussy out of ceramics ;) and nice job tim!
Quote from: AndyR
you wouldn't use the meat knife on crusty bread but, equally, the serrated knife and straight edge knife aren't going to go through raw meat as quickly