Username: Password:

Author Topic: Old Guard Bridge Humbucker users, any thoughts?  (Read 238 times)

Joshua Jimenez

• Junior Flyweight
Old Guard Bridge Humbucker users, any thoughts?
« on: May 26, 2021, 05:51:02 PM »
Hi all! Planning to get an Old Guard bridge humbie to pair with the neck Old Guard in my Gibson SG. Any thoughts on this? I tried the OG set in a friend’s Epiphone Les Paul. The neck was just as expected—sweet and round and addicting, while the bridge seemed kinda nasal, woofy, and loose. Though I spent only about a minute on that guitar.

If I may add, the SG had a pair of Mules in it and it totally rocked with that pickup set. I then switched it with the Old Guard/Black Dog set in my LP, and it seems the Mules are just PERFECT there. Now, I wanna ditch the Black Dog because it matches pretty badly with the OG neck.

Hoping to get your feedback on this. Thank you everyone!
2009 Les Paul Traditional Pro - Old Guard/Black Dog
2011 SG Special - Mule Set
1983 Yamaha Super Axe - Stock
1987 MIJ Strat - Stock
2011 SX Telecaster - DMZ Twang King / True Velvet

Dave Sloven

• Welterweight
    • Get our album here (alnico Black Hawks)
Re: Old Guard Bridge Humbucker users, any thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 01:36:42 AM »
Your friend's Old Guard might need to have its height adjusted.  Could be the case that it is simply too close to the strings.
BLACK HAWKS
IMPULSES
WAR PIGS
STOCKHOLM
COLD SWEATS
MIRACLE MAN

https://slovendoom.bandcamp.com/releases

AndyR

• Welterweight
  • Where's all the top end gone?
    • My Offerings
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2021, 08:20:30 AM »
Yeah, I agree with Dave's suggestion.
Or maybe something with the electrics?

My Old Guard set (in a Gibson Les Paul) sound nicely balanced to me. The bridge certainly doesn't strike me as nasal, woofy, and loose.

It did at first when I tried just now, but then I realised my amp is set for P90s in a strat! LOL
So I got my LP with Stormies out, and a 335 with Mules, got the amp doing what I'd want for a humbucking Gibson...

Plugged the LP with Old Guards in... WOW, why aren't I playing this more often?!?! (Actually, I know, the trapeze marker on the 7th fret is lifting on the treble side and I haven't got round to fixing it yet...)

Yeah, my Old Guard bridge bites and stings and cuts like I want it too.

Bear in mind this LP is fully modern weight relieved. When I first put Stormies in it, it seemed to be lacking some "weight" to the sound I was anticipating. So I put them in an Explorer and took a punt on the then new Old Guards in the LP. Loved it immediately. I don't know whether it was not enough "mids" or not enough output in general that made my usual favourites Stormies not work in this LP. What I'm saying is - if the guitar was lacking "mids" a bit for my taste with Stormies, then that would mean the OG put them back in for me. That would mean the OGs have more mids, and in a more middy guitar it might be too much? It's not that scientific, but my experience is mids can equal "nasal". If I'm getting "nasal" or "boxy" from a guitar, I turn the mids down on the amp. That often works for me... but, to show how unscientific my approach is, if it doesn't work, I then turn the mids up... and that sometimes does too!! LOL
Play or Download AndyR Music at http://www.alonetone.com/andyr

RobAbrams84

• Flyweight
  • BKPs:
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 08:38:02 PM »
The different guitars might have different electronics (cap and/or pot values), or different wiring (Modern vs 50s).  Something to look into.

Joshua Jimenez

• Junior Flyweight
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2021, 10:08:04 AM »
Yeah, I agree with Dave's suggestion.
Or maybe something with the electrics?

My Old Guard set (in a Gibson Les Paul) sound nicely balanced to me. The bridge certainly doesn't strike me as nasal, woofy, and loose.

It did at first when I tried just now, but then I realised my amp is set for P90s in a strat! LOL
So I got my LP with Stormies out, and a 335 with Mules, got the amp doing what I'd want for a humbucking Gibson...

Plugged the LP with Old Guards in... WOW, why aren't I playing this more often?!?! (Actually, I know, the trapeze marker on the 7th fret is lifting on the treble side and I haven't got round to fixing it yet...)

Yeah, my Old Guard bridge bites and stings and cuts like I want it too.

Bear in mind this LP is fully modern weight relieved. When I first put Stormies in it, it seemed to be lacking some "weight" to the sound I was anticipating. So I put them in an Explorer and took a punt on the then new Old Guards in the LP. Loved it immediately. I don't know whether it was not enough "mids" or not enough output in general that made my usual favourites Stormies not work in this LP. What I'm saying is - if the guitar was lacking "mids" a bit for my taste with Stormies, then that would mean the OG put them back in for me. That would mean the OGs have more mids, and in a more middy guitar it might be too much? It's not that scientific, but my experience is mids can equal "nasal". If I'm getting "nasal" or "boxy" from a guitar, I turn the mids down on the amp. That often works for me... but, to show how unscientific my approach is, if it doesn't work, I then turn the mids up... and that sometimes does too!! LOL

Thank you AndyR! "Bites and stings and cuts" reassures me of my decision.

I can relate with the "unscientific approach." On paper, the humpy Black Dog doesn't seem a fit with the already middy Gibson SG, but in practice, it was fantastic and got a clear and biting rock tone. Not unpleasant as I thought it would. On the contrary, the scooped Old Guard in the neck sounded bigger than the Black Dog. I realized that boosted bass and mids does not instantly equal a bigger sound. More focused, perhaps, but not necessarily bigger and clearer.
2009 Les Paul Traditional Pro - Old Guard/Black Dog
2011 SG Special - Mule Set
1983 Yamaha Super Axe - Stock
1987 MIJ Strat - Stock
2011 SX Telecaster - DMZ Twang King / True Velvet

b.gandt

• Junior Flyweight
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 03:00:18 AM »
I’ll  be able to throw my 2 cents in at some point, as there is an Old Guard somewhere between Cornwall and Phoenix, headed toward Phoenix.  Going in a Strat, though, so it may not be directly applicable.