Username: Password:

Author Topic: What was your Guitar Ignition?  (Read 21404 times)

TwilightOdyssey

  • Guest
What was your Guitar Ignition?
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2006, 06:49:44 PM »
Simple:

When I was 10, my older cousins took me to see Ozzy with Randy Rhoads on guitar. I was scared sh!tless b/c it was so loud and scary, but when I saw Randy, I knew that was gonna be me some day.

2 years later I heard Rush and that underlined it. I saw Rush for the Signals tour, and every tour since ...

3 years after Ozzy I got into Priest/Maiden.

... and then I heard Dokken, and it was all over. Lynch's playing spoke to me in a way no one's ever had, and still does to this day.

38thBeatle

  • Middleweight
  • *****
  • Posts: 6098
    • http://www.myspace.com/alteregoukband
What was your Guitar Ignition?
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2006, 07:08:44 PM »
Blimey this thread developed really well- nice one Hunter! very interesting reading all the stuff and it is amazing that we have so much in common-by which I mean the inspiration and passion. Just to elaborate upon my post (and to those who mightn't realise it) I was primarily a bass player but learned guitar too as I felt that the chords were essential to my bass playing development. McCartney and Ronnie Lane were major influences (anyone remember The Faces?) but as a wee lad, the Beatles were ..well just special and I have never stopped loving them.
Send three and fourpence we're going to a dance
BKP's: Apache, Country Boy, Slowhands.

Kilby

  • Welterweight
  • ****
  • Posts: 2363
What was your Guitar Ignition?
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2006, 07:25:27 PM »
Quote from: _tom_
Although my dad doesnt like much rock music, he seems quite supportive and buys me gear for my birthdays if I do some chores for him and save up allowance to pay for half or whatever


There was no music allowed on our house (Jim Reeves and James Last don't count as music to me), 'twas also in the days of no tab, DVD or the like. The constant critisism meant I can't even play in front of a guitar tutor now.

Happily my kids are being encouraged, and he is making some effort with the school guitar lessond (don't know how much I like them teaching Nirvana tracks but thats only on taste grounds ;) ) So I have my son my wolfgang for his birthday during the week. Any other kit he want's however he will have to work for ;)

Rob...
Goodbye London !

TwilightOdyssey

  • Guest
What was your Guitar Ignition?
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2006, 07:33:50 PM »
Quote from: 38thBeatle
but as a wee lad, the Beatles were ..well just special and I have never stopped loving them.

Really?! Never woulda guessed, Mr 38th Beatle! :)

Twinfan

  • Light Heavyweight
  • ******
  • Posts: 10528
What was your Guitar Ignition?
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2006, 07:44:24 PM »
Quote from: Johnny Mac
Quote from: Twinfan
Quote from: Johnny Mac
Quote from: Twinfan
I've got no idea what mine was!  I started playing when I was seven or eight years old.  I've just always wanted to play guitar!


7 or 8! You must be good then!  8)


I'm 31 now, and not as good as you'd think actually  :(

I'm more of a rhythm player than lead, and in that area I reckon I can hold my own against most people.  I'm really enjoying being Angus in YC/DC as it's forcing my lead playing to catch up!


My bruv and me checked out your myspace site around midday and he said that bare knuckle site you go in is very cool, he sounds good! I think you do too! My bruvs seen AC/DC all over Europe and loves em!  8)  8)


Cheers dude - we're better live!  Our enthusiasm and "feel" come across so much better!

Kilby

  • Welterweight
  • ****
  • Posts: 2363
What was your Guitar Ignition?
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2006, 07:47:36 PM »
Quote from: Twinfan

Cheers dude - we're better live!  Our enthusiasm and "feel" come across so much better!


Despite what the shredders say, thats whats important (as to get some feel you need a decent tune).
Goodbye London !

Johnny Mac

  • Middleweight
  • *****
  • Posts: 5841
    • Ultimate Guitar Profile
What was your Guitar Ignition?
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2006, 07:48:30 PM »
Quote from: Kilby
Quote from: _tom_
Although my dad doesnt like much rock music, he seems quite supportive and buys me gear for my birthdays if I do some chores for him and save up allowance to pay for half or whatever


There was no music allowed on our house (Jim Reeves and James Last don't count as music to me), 'twas also in the days of no tab, DVD or the like. The constant critisism meant I can't even play in front of a guitar tutor now.

Happily my kids are being encouraged, and he is making some effort with the school guitar lessond (don't know how much I like them teaching Nirvana tracks but thats only on taste grounds ;) ) So I have my son my wolfgang for his birthday during the week. Any other kit he want's however he will have to work for ;)

Rob...


Hey Kilby!

Come on now, you can play in front of a tutor, it's just you haven't learnt it yet, like that lost chord or lick that you have been trying for years. I had that phobia. I haven't now and will happily play in front of anyone. It's going to a teacher that will build your confidence. That what it's all about anyway. You get past that hurdle and it can spill over into other areas of your life! In a positive and good way. My father tried to hold me back when i was younger. He was jealous. I reared up at him a few weeks back cos he knows what buttons to push to set me off. Not in a violent way but just verbally. A few weeks back he hugged me for what seems like the first time in my life! So it takes a few steps to leave your past behind for good. Whatever that is.
Warpig, MQ,
Miracle Man-Trilogy Suite, Cold Sweats, Black Guards, Rebel Yells & Irish Tours!

Kilby

  • Welterweight
  • ****
  • Posts: 2363
What was your Guitar Ignition?
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2006, 08:00:50 PM »
Quote from: Johnny Mac
Come on now, you can play in front of a tutor, it's just you haven't learnt it yet, like that lost chord or lick that you have been trying for years.
--clipped---
So it takes a few steps to leave you past behind for good. Whatever that is.


Hey I wish it was, but I literally shake and can't hold the pick. My wife has said several times why can I play properly on my own but when she walks in I fall apart. funny thing though I'm not adverse to arseing about on a bass in public.

As for the past, my father eventually helped me resurrect an Antoria SG when I was older, but by that time I was having to work to support myself @ college. I will have to get some nice pickups for that guitar as a maple SG is fairly unusual, and it plays so well (better than the Peavey or Fender)

If I ever get a job back at home I have actually decided to force myself to take lessons (no matter how I feel).

The important thing is however that neither of my kids have the same problem, and it's nice to see that the younger members are (for the most part) getting support.

anyway back to the influences

Rob...
Goodbye London !

Johnny Mac

  • Middleweight
  • *****
  • Posts: 5841
    • Ultimate Guitar Profile
What was your Guitar Ignition?
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2006, 08:52:06 PM »
^ ok I've tried to figure out some of the Jeff Beck stuff I've bought recently! Hmmm...it's hard to say the least!  :lol:
Warpig, MQ,
Miracle Man-Trilogy Suite, Cold Sweats, Black Guards, Rebel Yells & Irish Tours!

Dakine

  • Welterweight
  • ****
  • Posts: 2519
What was your Guitar Ignition?
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2006, 09:14:19 PM »
Mr.38th ;) (shall remain anonymous, as Batman ;)), I started on bass too.

My reason was patience, in learning chords, was not great at that early age.

I do believe, upon reflection, the rythm is more what got to me though. AC/DC after all is almost 'tribal' in there beat.

And thus,older,wiser and with accordingly more patience I caress 6 strings, yet I still find myself drawn more to the rythm playing than single note leads, the rythm again I tell ya :)
"Do not go gentle.........Rage"

Johnny Mac

  • Middleweight
  • *****
  • Posts: 5841
    • Ultimate Guitar Profile
What was your Guitar Ignition?
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2006, 09:50:46 PM »
Quote from: Dakine
Mr.38th ;) (shall remain anonymous, as Batman ;)), I started on bass too.

My reason was patience, in learning chords, was not great at that early age.

I do believe, upon reflection, the rythm is more what got to me though. AC/DC after all is almost 'tribal' in there beat.

And thus,older,wiser and with accordingly more patience I caress 6 strings, yet I still find myself drawn more to the rythm playing than single note leads, the rythm again I tell ya :)


Woah! This is interesting! Although i never had a bass, i used to pick out bass lines on the guitar for the same reasons!
Warpig, MQ,
Miracle Man-Trilogy Suite, Cold Sweats, Black Guards, Rebel Yells & Irish Tours!

Deadstar

  • Bantamweight
  • **
  • Posts: 194
What was your Guitar Ignition?
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2006, 10:26:54 PM »
Funny you should mention JB cause for me it was actually seeing Jeff Beck playing on the Jools Holland show Hootenanny (New years thing) when I was about 15 (I'm 19 now) and I just remember begging for about three months or so until my birthday came round. Then I learn about two riffs and a few chords or so and metallica's "One" video came on the TV  (at the time I'd heard of them but not heard much) my jaw dropped it was the coolest thing ever. So then I learn the Master of puppets whole way through except the second solo (took me a while at the time.) Learned to play Barre chords aswell on a Bass for some reason - probably why I use really heavy strings and a relatively high set-up now.
"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." -Einstein

38thBeatle

  • Middleweight
  • *****
  • Posts: 6098
    • http://www.myspace.com/alteregoukband
What was your Guitar Ignition?
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2006, 10:44:57 PM »
Nick, same as me- the rhythm was far more important than the lead stuff for me and that is still the case today. That said, I am now obviously playing lead but as I am most at home with blues, I am a little one dimensional but I love a wide range of stuff so thats ok.At the moment I am not playing much bass though I have been recording some new songs and it all comes back pretty quick.Incidentally, it is not easy to type all this as my cat has decided to sit in front of the screen.
Send three and fourpence we're going to a dance
BKP's: Apache, Country Boy, Slowhands.

Dakine

  • Welterweight
  • ****
  • Posts: 2519
What was your Guitar Ignition?
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2006, 11:07:38 PM »
Quote from: 38thBeatle
Nick, same as me- the rhythm was far more important than the lead stuff for me and that is still the case today. That said, I am now obviously playing lead but as I am most at home with blues, I am a little one dimensional but I love a wide range of stuff so thats ok.At the moment I am not playing much bass though I have been recording some new songs and it all comes back pretty quick.Incidentally, it is not easy to type all this as my cat has decided to sit in front of the screen.


As long as thats ALL the cat does, hey Rob ;) sorry mate.

Not played bass for long time (NEVER EVER should have sold that exotic,neckthru Wariwick  :(  :(  :(   ).

And as for the Blues, thats pretty much ALL I am concentrating on these days.
I say (for moment at least) ya can keep all those exotic and hitherto scales, gimme the mother of Rock! the BLUES SCALE. If I can attain any kinda 'gift' with this, then the rock,metal,blues ad infinitum world is mine I tell ya ahahahahahahahaha  :twisted:
"Do not go gentle.........Rage"

Kilby

  • Welterweight
  • ****
  • Posts: 2363
What was your Guitar Ignition?
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2006, 11:24:09 PM »
Quote from: Dakine
Quote from: 38thBeatle

--- Clipped ---

Incidentally, it is not easy to type all this as my cat has decided to sit in front of the screen.


As long as thats ALL the cat does, hey Rob ;) sorry mate.
---Clipped---
And as for the Blues, thats pretty much ALL I am concentrating on these days.


Hey the landladys particularly stupid cat has been leaving little parcels of love over the living room carpet for the last 5 days. It was particularly gross when she got down to sniff the stains (the solids had long since been removed) and said "I can't smell it are you sure it wasn't puke ?"

Have to agree (despite my abysmal playing) I always beleved that you mastered the basics before moving on, and very few players ever truely master the blues scale. Many may do so from the technical side of things, but very few from feel and emotion (IMHO)

Rob...
Goodbye London !