Username: Password:

Author Topic: 99 Strat - too good to be true?  (Read 4301 times)

MrBump

• Welterweight
  • Essex! Home of the Brave!!!
    • This Is Essex
Re: 99 Strat - too good to be true?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 06:45:32 AM »
Anyone played one of these?... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-FUTURAMA-STRAT-STYLE-ELECTRIC-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ310103325789QQihZ021QQcategoryZ2384QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

They look quite nice and for a ton it seems like you couldn't go far wrong, right?

Yep, and if you don't like it you can always swap out the neck, body and electrics...

;)
BKPs Past and Present - Nailbombs, Mules, Blackguard Flat 50's, VHII's & Trilogy Suite with Neck & Bridge Baseplates!

the_bleeding

• Featherweight
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 09:01:08 AM »
tbh, one of my favorite strats every was 99$. It was made by Rogue. My guitar teacher saw it, strummed it once, and it was so loud dry and sustained so well that he bought it. Lucky neck joint i suppose. Stripped the paint and it sounded even better. Now it has some patterned chrome ibanez for the neck pickup, a single coil for middle and bridge, on/off switches for each pickup, phase switches, parrallel/series switches. Fantastic tool. Sexy cleans. :)
my maxon OD 808 really DOES make poop sound good

gwEm

• Middleweight
    • http://www.preromanbritain.com/gwem
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 03:00:11 PM »
i don't know... i got a well ropey strat for 89 once - a squier
Quote from: AndyR
you wouldn't use the meat knife on crusty bread but, equally, the serrated knife and straight edge knife aren't going to go through raw meat as quickly

dave_mc

• Middleweight
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 04:28:47 PM »
^ yeah. every so often you can get a bargain if you're really lucky, but more often than not, if it looks too good to be true, it is... :(

if you can get to the shop to try it, though, that'd be the sensible thing to do.

AndyR

• Welterweight
  • Where's all the top end gone?
    • My Offerings
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 06:40:37 PM »
I'm sure I saw a load of these in Denmark St before the p1ss-up last saturday - didn't even think to try one - in Regent Sounds I think (or Rockers next door- pretty much the same place though).

If I'm allowed during christmas shopping I might try one...
Play or Download AndyR Music at http://www.alonetone.com/andyr

Philly Q

• Light Heavyweight
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 06:50:52 PM »
I'm sure it'd be good value for the money, but for 99 it's not going to be great.  I'd rather spend more and buy something that didn't need all the parts upgraded.

It does look good though - apart from the shaping of the neck heel and the back of the headstock, which are pretty horrific.
BKPs I've Got:  RR, BKP-91, ITs, VHII, CS set, Emeralds
BKPs I Had:  RY+Abraxas, Crawlers, BD+SM

Johnny Mac

• Middleweight
    • Ultimate Guitar Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 10:41:32 PM »
Based on my experience of buying a cheapskate Richwood Chinese LP copy for 230 on ebay whilst stoned  :?, I'd at least try it first.
When i got the Richwood the pickups just about worked let alone had any tone to speak of. The neck was warped and most of the pots and switch were faulty. I had Feline pimp it to death which involved a complete re-fret as the board had to be flattened. Its a monster now but that cost more than the guitar but hey ho!
Warpig, MQ,
Miracle Man-Trilogy Suite, Cold Sweats, Black Guards, Rebel Yells & Irish Tours!

badgermark

• Welterweight
  • Mm-hai!
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 11:04:46 PM »
Holy carp! it's got slot head tuners. I love slot head tuners. If they're still about in the new year i might take a chance and get one. Very very tempting.
Mississippi Queens, Holydiver.

HTH AMPS

• Middleweight
    • HTH AMPS
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 12:16:21 AM »
I've cooled on the Strat idea - you lot have talked some sense into me.  a 99 guitar is gonna be shite, really shite.

AndyR

• Welterweight
    • My Offerings
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 08:45:43 AM »
On second thoughts, I'm not sure this is what I saw in Denmark St. The pic above has no markings on the headstock - the things I saw all had a logo that looked very much like a"fender" but were in the 90 bracket (and looked very nice) and closer inspection said something like "futur..something"

I was sober at the time, but subsequent events that evening might have clouded my memories :lol:

I'm going to have to take a look now, aren't I? ("Sorry darling, we have to go to Denmark St as well, I owe it to the guys on the forum..." :D)

Philly Q

• Light Heavyweight
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 10:36:52 AM »
I'm going to have to take a look now, aren't I? ("Sorry darling, we have to go to Denmark St as well, I owe it to the guys on the forum..." :D)

"No, I'm only going to look at those 99 Strats.  But I might just pop into Vintage and Rare while I'm there..."

(3 hours later)

"Yes, but with the exchange rate as it is, prices are bound to go up, so 1,600 is really a bargain.  Think of it as an investment..."

:|

AndyR

• Welterweight
    • My Offerings
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2008, 04:11:39 PM »
:lol:

Well, I had a look. The 99 ones have no markings on the headstocks, the ones with a "fenderesque" Futurama logo are around 30-40 more. There are strats and teles, they look cute enuff, but I didn't feel excited enough to touch any. But if any Londoners do want to try them, there's a load of them in Denmark St at the moment...

There's also a few Japanese Tokais knocking about for those interested.... (three or four cherry-burst Love Rocks in Rockers - if I was after an LP I'd have been very excited :D) and a load of Chinese ones (including three natural finish 335-a-likes over the road).

The only guitar I tried was one of the Mexican 60s strats - a very good looking sunburst (apart from the modern 2 screw bridge :?) - but it just wasn't a patch on my Japanese Fiesta Red 62, so I'm keeping my money until I see a Japanese Sunburst 62, and even then I'll only buy her if she's gorgeous to look at and is suitably submissive when I caress her.... :lol: (I can't really justify another one otherwise).

We did go in V&A, Philly, but nothing really jumped out at us...

So, I came away unscathed...

Philly Q

• Light Heavyweight
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2008, 04:26:54 PM »
We did go in V&A, Philly, but nothing really jumped out at us...

Well, most things in a museum have been dead a long time...

AndyR

• Welterweight
    • My Offerings
Re: £99 Strat - too good to be true?
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2008, 04:50:35 PM »
:lol:

Of course, I meant V&R

But didn't you see the Mummy Returns? I haven't dared go back to the British Museum ever since... :lol: