Username: Password:

Author Topic: Gutiar fingerboards reaction to fast fret?  (Read 8458 times)

_tom_

• Middleweight
Gutiar fingerboards reaction to fast fret?
« on: October 10, 2005, 05:30:34 PM »
I wiped some fastfret type stuff on my acoustics fingerboard/strings last night, as they havent been cleaned for ages. Today I go to play it and notice the fingerboard has loads of white bits appeared from no where, I guess the grain has reacted to the stuff? It doesnt affect its playability or anything as it still feels all smooth, but it doesnt look very nice! Its a rosewood fingerboard I think. Should I let some lemon oil soak in next time I change strings? (also, itd be a good thing if someone could give me a how-to on changing acoustic strings as I've never done it before, its one of those bridges with the push in pin bits)

Cheers!

chrisola

• Welterweight
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 05:42:15 PM »
its just the fast fret stuff finding its way into the pores of the wood... dont think it damages it any, my m8 uses fast fret on his bass, has done for years and his strings\neck still feels great (same strings for about 2 years lol)
"Turbo F***ing Spinning PILEDRIVER!!!"

_tom_

• Middleweight
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 05:46:44 PM »
hmm ok, it does look pretty cr@p though! I've never noticed it on any other guitars before..

Davey

• Welterweight
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 05:58:09 PM »
never had a problem with it on my guitar... till one of the guys stole the fakkin thing cos it made the strings feel like new.

havent seen it in stores since

38thBeatle

• Middleweight
    • http://www.myspace.com/alteregoukband
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 08:26:14 PM »
I got a new tube at the weekend. I still have a metal Fast Fret container from years back- much better than the modern plastic jobs. I remember buying several tubes from Manny's in NYC for my mates along with Manny's plectrums ( or should that be plectra)- they thought it was cool- the fools.
Send three and fourpence we're going to a dance
BKP's: Apache, Country Boy, Slowhands.

_tom_

• Middleweight
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 08:56:47 PM »
hmm. This isnt actually the "real" fast fret, as the shop didnt have any. Its Dr Stringfellows String cleaning stuff..

38thBeatle

• Middleweight
    • http://www.myspace.com/alteregoukband
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 09:06:22 PM »
even so, I'd like to think that they would not have put anything didgy into it ... or am I being naive
Send three and fourpence we're going to a dance
BKP's: Apache, Country Boy, Slowhands.

_tom_

• Middleweight
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 09:14:42 PM »
Hmm they probably wouldnt, I never had this problem last time I used it. Maybe I put too much on..

indysmith

• Welterweight
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 10:48:40 PM »
white stuff might be from the cloth that comes with it? that cloth sucks ass!
LOVING the Mules!

PhilKing

• Welterweight
Re: Gutiar fingerboards reaction to fast fret?
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2005, 01:10:32 AM »
Quote from: _tom_
(also, itd be a good thing if someone could give me a how-to on changing acoustic strings as I've never done it before, its one of those bridges with the push in pin bits)

Cheers!

You might need something to pull out the pins.  Most string winders have a half-moon cutout in the edge of the key box, this is a pin puller.  If you don't have one, a 2p can sometimes do it.  slacken the string first, then take out the pin.  The pins usually have a groove down the front, when you put in the new string, have the groove facing it and the neck of the guitar.

Also, on an accoustic, change one string at a time to keep the tension on the top more constant.

Good luck
So many pickups, so little time

bucketshred

• Welterweight
  • Groovy
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2005, 08:59:05 AM »
Tom, where did you buy this stuff from?

Phil, I never knew that about acoustics, why do you have to do that?

Andy!
GREAT GOOGILY MOOGILY!

PhilKing

• Welterweight
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2005, 01:26:13 PM »
It seems to be better for the tops to keep a bit of tension on them - of course if you have to work on the guitar then you might have to take off all the strings.

One thing I forgot to say, don't push the pins in really hard!  They will grip anyway when you tune the string.  If you force them in, then they will be even worse to get out next time.
So many pickups, so little time

rinse_master

• Featherweight
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2005, 03:16:15 PM »
I've noticed the white residue from fast fret, and that cloth is afwful, bits of fluff all over the place!
"What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet, sweet music?"

_tom_

• Middleweight
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2005, 04:12:22 PM »
Hm the thing is, its not actually FastFret, its the Kyser Dr Stringfellows stuff, and Andy it came from Make Music :lol: Its not a residue though, it looks like the grains changed colour :? Should I at least try lemon oil? As it looks horrible at the minute

rinse_master

• Featherweight
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2005, 05:05:13 PM »
I guess all of the similar products have the same effect, I gave up on Fast Fret ages ago though (mainly because of the cloth), I just use some lemon oil every now & then and that works fine.
"What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet, sweet music?"