Username: Password:

Author Topic: 600 for an AC/DC (Malcolm) valve amp tone?  (Read 6416 times)

JJretroTONEGOD

• Welterweight
  • JJ Retro w/Mule + BKP90
600 for an AC/DC (Malcolm) valve amp tone?
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2006, 12:57:37 AM »
You want a 50 watt vintage plexi head, or even 100, which has more balls. You can pick up a Marshall JMP45 amp for pretty cheap as has been said +1 on that guys. Bear in mind you'll have to have a stack amp on very loud, near full as well to truly replicate the angus tone, it's utterly sickeningly loud, to the point where it burns air.

Another alternative is to buy a second hand Cornford 50 watter head and cab, it might be outside 600 but it'd be the bollocks! as they are hand made like the first original marshall heads back in the day.

later,

Ben.
listen to my music for free here:
https://soundcloud.com/bentyreman

dave_mc

• Middleweight
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2006, 12:00:31 PM »
Quote from: Word Bearer
Id reccomend the new Peavey Windsor, definetly has that old ACDC vibe going when I tried it out.

Should be under budget as well.

agreed, I tried that yesterday for the first time. very nice for the price.

had a lot more gain than I expected, though!

I guess matamp would be worth a try too, for a more boutique tone, but will it be under budget?

Ratrod

• Middleweight
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2006, 12:17:41 PM »
I think any old style Marshall will do. If you play in small clubs alot, you could also check out a Marshall Bluesbreaker. Should sound very sweet with that signature Gretsch.
BKP user since 2004: early 7K Blackguard 50

Twinfan

• Light Heavyweight
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2006, 12:43:43 PM »
The Bluesbreaker would be great, but it's over budget and he'd need an attenuator.  Would be the business though.

Word Bearer

• Flyweight
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2006, 06:06:54 PM »
The DSL will get you in the ballpark, and you'll certainly have that Marshall sound, but I'd try harder to urge him to try out some other brands.

I still highly suggest the Windsor

Word Bearer

• Flyweight
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2006, 06:09:43 PM »
Quote from: dave_mc
Id reccomend the new Peavey Windsor, definetly has that old ACDC vibe going when I tried it out.

Should be under budget as well.

agreed, I tried that yesterday for the first time. very nice for the price.

had a lot more gain than I expected, though!

I guess matamp would be worth a try too, for a more boutique tone, but will it be under budget?

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised with it, wasn't expecting an awful lot after the Valveking.

Really reminded me of an old JCM800, would probably sound awesome with TS-9 or Keeley modded SD-1 in front.

HTH AMPS

• Middleweight
    • HTH AMPS
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2006, 07:02:07 PM »
if a non-master volume Marshall is gonna be too loud then get a JMP head - they're very close in tone and sound great at any volume.

a simple master volume mod on a 4-input Marshall would control the volume too and they still sound great.

a DSL is a MASSIVELY waterred down version of that tone.

:twisted:

dave_mc

• Middleweight
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2006, 08:35:46 PM »
Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised with it, wasn't expecting an awful lot after the Valveking.

Really reminded me of an old JCM800, would probably sound awesome with TS-9 or Keeley modded SD-1 in front.

I actually didn't mind the VK either, I thought it was pretty decent for the price, but the Windsor was a lot nicer!

The VK was kind of "decent for the price", the Windsor was actually "good", regardless of price. Not amazing, obviously, and something boutique would probably have it with its tail between its legs, but yeah, it didn't deserve to be that nice, for the price.

Word Bearer

• Flyweight
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2006, 10:58:24 PM »
Quote from: dave_mc

I actually didn't mind the VK either, I thought it was pretty decent for the price, but the Windsor was a lot nicer!

The VK was kind of "decent for the price", the Windsor was actually "good", regardless of price. Not amazing, obviously, and something boutique would probably have it with its tail between its legs, but yeah, it didn't deserve to be that nice, for the price.

Oh don't get me wrong, "for the price" the Valveking is in the top of it's range, and the head paired with a decent cab produced a pretty stunning sound, but if I were willing to spend that kind of money on a decent cab, I'd have saved more for a decent head as well.

I did consider at one point getting hold of one the 212 combos and just using the poweramp with my H&K Access actually.

stuckin93

• Bantamweight
    • http://www.myspace.com/stuckin93
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2006, 04:47:59 PM »
Quote from: jpfamps
Why on earth would you want a new amp?

The best value amp for your purposes would be a late seventies JMP 2x12 50 Watt combo. These can be picked up for 400-500. They are much better built than mopdern Marshalls. Also if you wanted to sell it you won't lose money, unlike a new amp.

I second this - I have a JMP 50 head & 4x12 cab  (with 25 watt greenbacks) both 1970's & they sound mint! definitely got the AC/DC vibe!

cost wise the cab is a bit bruised but cost me 500 for the pair
BKP's - Black Dogs...

...so far

jpfamps

• Lightweight
    • http://www.jpfamps.com
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2006, 06:18:37 PM »
Oddly this was the amp used on the first few AC/DC albums.......

If you want a 70s rock sound get a 70s rock amp.

Incidentally the build quality of that era of Marshalls is a lot better than that of modern Marshalls. The most expensive components in an amp are the transformers and speakers, and this is wear many manufacturers make savings. The stack in the OT of a 70s 50 watt Marshall is the same size as a Fender Twin transformer! The same cannot be said for the modern Marshalls (or indeed many other cheaper amps).

dave_mc

• Middleweight
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2006, 08:01:38 PM »
Oh don't get me wrong, "for the price" the Valveking is in the top of it's range, and the head paired with a decent cab produced a pretty stunning sound, but if I were willing to spend that kind of money on a decent cab, I'd have saved more for a decent head as well.

I did consider at one point getting hold of one the 212 combos and just using the poweramp with my H&K Access actually.

Ah, I think we're talking at crossed purposes, lol- I tried the Valveking 50 watt combo! I agree though- I'd rather have a quality combo, than a cheap halfstack. You get better bang for the buck with combos, normally, if budget is a concern

I also agree with the guys mentioning 70's amps- I guess if you want the ac/dc tone, get what they actually used... if you can find them, lol.

stuckin93

• Bantamweight
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2006, 08:23:51 PM »
Not that anyone will be interested - i just wanted to show em off! :D

Strangely I wouldn't even class myself as a big AC/DC fan! :twisted:
BKP's - Black Dogs...

...so far

HTH AMPS

• Middleweight
    • HTH AMPS
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2006, 10:15:05 PM »
nice Marshall mate - that's gotta be a '75 or '76 JMP head, right? - is it a 50w too?

if you ever decide to sell that baby, I've got first refusal  :D

stuckin93

• Bantamweight
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2006, 08:39:01 AM »
Quote from: HEAVIER THAN HELL
nice Marshall mate - that's gotta be a '75 or '76 JMP head, right? - is it a 50w too?

if you ever decide to sell that baby, I've got first refusal  :D

'76 50W & I'll keep that in mind, however I'd only sell it if there was no other option, I'd rather sell a kidney first to make the money! Just need some decent pickups in that SG special & it would be epic!  Still my BK'd Les Paul copy sounds fantastic through it!
BKP's - Black Dogs...

...so far