Username: Password:

Author Topic: Twinfan has gone custom! (Completed guitar - pics added!)  (Read 87363 times)

Twinfan

• Light Heavyweight
Re: Twinfan has gone custom! (Completed guitar - pics added!)
« Reply #240 on: April 16, 2009, 01:30:30 PM »
Just a quick update on the tone of this guitar.  I took it to Doppelganger rehearsal last night and Martin reckoned it sounded very 335-ish, and had a real bit of charcter.  It sounds nothing like you'd expect it to, and it's a really great guitar!

Philly Q

• Light Heavyweight
« Reply #241 on: April 16, 2009, 01:56:05 PM »
I keep forgetting to ask, Dave - how are you getting on with the compound radius?
BKPs I've Got:  RR, BKP-91, ITs, VHII, CS set, Emeralds
BKPs I Had:  RY+Abraxas, Crawlers, BD+SM

Twinfan

• Light Heavyweight
« Reply #242 on: April 16, 2009, 03:24:54 PM »
Pretty well!  I don't really notice it when playing leads.  The only thinkg I'm learning to adapt to at the moment is that some chords get out of tune if I play my usual sloppy style and I slightly bend a string or two.  The flatter radius and the skyscr@per frets mean it's easy to sharpen notes.

I'll get used to it and play more accurately!

Philly Q

• Light Heavyweight
« Reply #243 on: April 16, 2009, 03:51:48 PM »
Sounds OK - I was thinking I might try a compound radius next time, just because 95% of the necks in the Showcase are compound radius!

I just (half an hour ago) got my new Warmoth Strat neck :D .  Looks good, lovely timber!  As you said, though, it feels very, very new!

The SRV profile is a little slimmer-feeling than I expected, but still chunkier than a Fender C-shape.  The fret job is much better than I anticipated - the last Warmoth neck I had, years ago, had really square fret ends, there's no way it would've been playable "out of the box".
BKPs I've Got:  RR, BKP-91, ITs, VHII, CS set, Emeralds
BKPs I Had:  RY+Abraxas, Crawlers, BD+SM

Twinfan

• Light Heavyweight
« Reply #244 on: April 16, 2009, 04:30:20 PM »
After just a couple of hours playing on mine it feels much better now - not as new.  It's also starting to get some worming and buckle rash on the back, which is cool.  I want to get this one nicely worn in  :D

Adam.M

• Welterweight
    • http://www.healeyamps.co.uk
« Reply #245 on: April 17, 2009, 10:59:36 PM »
Oooh that does look nice...

I wish they did better bass stuff.
www.healeyamps.co.uk

PRS Cu 24, Carlsbro 60TC, Line 6 AM4, Dunlop DB01

FernandoDuarte

• Welterweight
« Reply #246 on: April 17, 2009, 11:12:14 PM »
???
better or more options???

Adam.M

• Welterweight
« Reply #247 on: April 17, 2009, 11:27:56 PM »
???

More options...

No one ever seems to get bass stuff quite right.

Not saying that I can either... I'd just buy a Warwick Corvette $$ and have done with it if I had the cash, Lol.
www.healeyamps.co.uk

Adam.M

• Welterweight
« Reply #248 on: April 17, 2009, 11:34:17 PM »
Wow - I never knew Warmoth did a PRS a like 7 string!!! and the neck is 25" too, WOW!

Now this is something I'd get a Warmoth for... something that you just can't get...

This has me rather excited. Look at me, I'm oozing with excitement. Ooooooooze.
www.healeyamps.co.uk

Bradock PI

• Featherweight
« Reply #249 on: April 17, 2009, 11:53:57 PM »
If you ooze onto your guitar you may spoil the finish, I think Ibanez do an ooze proof finish but it costs mucho $$ extra

WezV

• Middleweight
    • http://wezvenables.co.uk
« Reply #250 on: April 18, 2009, 12:39:31 AM »
???

More options...

Not saying that I can either... I'd just buy a Warwick Corvette $$ and have done with it if I had the cash, Lol.

more options come from custom builds!!!... i am currecntly doing myself a fairly standard bass but its nice to have options like an A neck (very skinny nut but just right for the average guitarist).  that will be partnered with a nice alder body, maple nck and fretboard, BKP P-bass pickup and i am toying with the idea of including an ACG/john east preamp to turn a simple P-bass idea into a tone monster

bass stuff can be done alright... if you pay your dues to the vintage fellows and also throw some modern playability and tone shaping into the mix it can work quite well. 

Adam.M

• Welterweight
« Reply #251 on: April 18, 2009, 03:34:29 AM »
???

More options...

more options come from custom builds!!!... i am currecntly doing myself a fairly standard bass but its nice to have options like an A neck (very skinny nut but just right for the average guitarist).  that will be partnered with a nice alder body, maple nck and fretboard, BKP P-bass pickup and i am toying with the idea of including an ACG/john east preamp to turn a simple P-bass idea into a tone monster

bass stuff can be done alright... if you pay your dues to the vintage fellows and also throw some modern playability and tone shaping into the mix it can work quite well. 

I'd love to see pictures of that one at some point! I've never heard of an A neck before though... or is it like a V shaped neck?

Ultimately it's a case of 'i don't know what i want but i know it's not this' with me. The Warwick Infinity NT is pretty close to what I'd want actually. Hmm.

The proportions always look just slightly skew iff, and it really naggs me. It seems either you go Precision, Jazz, Music Man or ReallyWeirdUglyThing

I'm going to spend some time with some paper and see if i can rough out an idea I'd actually like...
www.healeyamps.co.uk

badgermark

• Welterweight
  • Mm-hai!
« Reply #252 on: April 18, 2009, 10:07:49 AM »
Think Wez is talking about neck sizes, not profiles. If i remember Fender necks can be A or B, A being smaller than B at the nut. Fender shortscales (musicmaster, bronco, mustang etc) had these designations.
Mississippi Queens, Holydiver.

WezV

• Middleweight
    • http://wezvenables.co.uk
« Reply #253 on: April 18, 2009, 10:22:06 AM »
yeah its nut width not thickness/profile.  i think A-necks are just over 1 1/2" wide at the nut

Twinfan

• Light Heavyweight
« Reply #254 on: June 18, 2009, 03:30:33 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but here's a quick update for you all.

The "Testicaster" has got quite a few hours playing time on it now and it's really settled into being a musical instrument.  Tonally, it's got a lot of character to it and quite a unique sound.  The Filter'Tron pickups are low output and you get a really nice "335 crossed with a Strat" neck tone, and a clear-yet-beefy bridge.  It sounds nothing like a Tele!  Both Shobet and MartinW were pretty impresed with it when they played it.

The only slight issue with guitar has been the neck.  It's a fantastic profile, really chunky like a PRS Wide Fat, but as I bought the Warmoth Pro Series neck it comes with a bi-way truss rod.  Fine, nice and modern, but it weighs twice as much as a regular one-way!  This combined with the semi-hollow swamp ash body means it's neck heavy, and enough for me to be annoyed by it.

So a plan has been hatched......

I've just ordered a second neck from Warmoth as a replacement.  It's made from Goncalo Alves which is also known as Tigerwood or South American Zebrawood.  I fancied something a bit different and with some interesting grain to go with the highly figured Swamp Ash body.  This one is from the Vintage Modern series and has a regular thin profile plus a vintage truss rod - that should stop the nose dive issues!  Plus it doesn't need finishing either as it's a bit like rosewood (a bit waxy/oily) which is great for feel and maintenance!

As for the current chunky neck?  Well, let's just say there's a plan underway, so watch this space  ;)

Anyhow, here's the replacement neck that's heading off to have stainless steel jumbo frets and a graphite nut fitted shortly...