Username: Password:

Author Topic: Shared volume/tone on Explorer  (Read 1305 times)

Dave Sloven

• Welterweight
    • Get our album here (alnico Black Hawks)
Shared volume/tone on Explorer
« on: October 25, 2016, 02:29:55 PM »
I am thinking of modifying my Explorer because I really prefer the pickup selector to be in the SG position, near the bridge.  On an Explorer this is roughly where the neck volume pot is located.

To move it I would have to move the existing short-style Switchcraft selector switch to the neck volume position, and either convert the guitar to Vol/Vol or Vol/Tone config with a shared volume pot.  The tone pot is already shared on Explorers, and I have a push-push pot there that acts as a bypass for both volume pots (but cannot bypass the tone pot).

I don't really use the middle position (both pickups), so I don't need to have a mix of volumes and tones at one time.  Also the guitar is very dark so I tend to either have the tone right up.

I am thinking of running the following config:

Shared volume pot

Shared tone with push-push used as a bypass to run the bridge pickup straight to the jack when engaged, bypassing both tone and volume

Selector switch in current neck volume spot

A 3PDT true-bypass non-latching footswitch in the current selector switch hole wired as a kill switch for those Randy Rhoads moments (I could just hit it with my hand)

Any thoughts?

BLACK HAWKS
IMPULSES
WAR PIGS
STOCKHOLM
COLD SWEATS
MIRACLE MAN

https://slovendoom.bandcamp.com/releases

AndyR

• Welterweight
  • Where's all the top end gone?
    • My Offerings
Re: Shared volume/tone on Explorer
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 06:03:15 PM »
Sounds good to me - I might think about going partly down this route myself, I can't get on with the switch position on my Explorer either.

I DO use the middle position a bit (not so much on the Explorer, I must admit) and up until recently I wouldn't have thought I could give up the independent volumes. But one of my recent acquisitions (Yamaha Revstar) is a two pickup machine with shared vol/tone - and I haven't missed the independent volumes at all. (Mind you, I am a strat-man at heart, wired as master vol, master tone, oh, and teles as well - so it's not that much of a surprise, I guess)

Kill-switch, er... yeah, I wouldn't use it meself... Never tried wiring a pickup straight to jack, either - but I can see how it would be useful.
Play or Download AndyR Music at http://www.alonetone.com/andyr

Dave Sloven

• Welterweight
    • Get our album here (alnico Black Hawks)
Re: Shared volume/tone on Explorer
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 09:59:23 AM »
Wiring a pickup straight to jack would be useful for this guitar simply because it is so dark.  The tone knob isn't very useful most of the time, because I have it on full.  The option to bypass the pots would give me another tone.  I would mainly roll back the volume if I was on the neck pickup.

Killswitch would (1) fill the hole in my pickguard (2) be something I could use for those Rhandy Rhoads style stutters.  Otherwise it would be pretty useless, but without independent volumes I wouldn't be able to roll down the neck pickup to do those stutters.  Also it would allow me to do them with either pickup without touching the pots
BLACK HAWKS
IMPULSES
WAR PIGS
STOCKHOLM
COLD SWEATS
MIRACLE MAN

https://slovendoom.bandcamp.com/releases