Username: Password:

Author Topic: Magnet types  (Read 120177 times)

Tim

• BKP
  • Welterweight
    • http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk
Magnet types
« on: April 23, 2007, 10:27:34 AM »
As requested here's some notes on magnet types I posted previously which I hope will be useful:

"Magnets do add to the character of a pickup although it must be understood that a magnet doesn't have a sound on it's own, it contributes by the way it accentuates certain frequencies as current is produced in the coil windings.
Alnico II is the softest and generally has a smooth bass and treble although this is more pronounced the hotter the windings get.
Alnico III is very transparent, low output and clean,sounds great for rounded fat jazz applications-typical of '50s tone.
Alnico IV is probably the best vintage tone IMHO(for humbuckers) and along with II and III was used in the earliest PAFs-this is a fact and not myth as we've had them analysed and a collegue of mine has also seen original Gibson purchase orders that clearly state AIV bar stock being purchased.The tone of AIV is balanced and extremely organic, it produces the most authentic vintage tone and sits better in slightly hotter vintage winds than AII which tends to get very soft in the bass and highs if used incorrectly.
Finally Alnico V is the hottest producing more highs and lows, great for rock applications or where power and cut are important.
Different companies use different grades for personal reasons, we use all of the applicable Alnico grades to suit the correct design, both to be historically correct but more importantly to have the best sound.
Changing magnets in a humbucker can give dramatic results, you soon find the ones that really don't sit right and others that are head and shoulders better.Obviously you can't swap out single coil magnets as they're integral to the coil form.
I've personally spent alot of time voicing all the BKP range with the correct magnets but I do tweak and swap sometimes on consultation with a customer with a specific requirement."
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 09:19:42 AM by Tim »
Tim
BKP - "Wound, made and played the traditional way --- by hand!" Amen.

MDV

• Middleweight
  • If it sounds good it IS good
Magnet types
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 12:38:36 PM »
Awesome, thanks Tim  8)

Neemo

• Bantamweight
    • http://www.mikseri.net/necessaryevil
Magnet types
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 01:10:58 PM »
What about ceramic magnets?
slow music for slow people

dave_mc

• Middleweight
Magnet types
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 04:04:05 PM »
^ :lol:

anyway, it's a good idea. :drink:

BloodMountain

• Welterweight
Magnet types
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 05:00:03 PM »
Quote from: Neemo
What about ceramic magnets?

yeah...

great article.... i know which is my favourite just by reading it!
:twisted: CERAMIC WARPIG - GREATEST HUMBUCKER ON EARTH! :twisted:

Tim

• BKP
  • Welterweight
    • http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk
Magnet types
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 09:33:26 PM »
Apologies-the original question was just aimed at the different Alnicos.
We use ceramic 8 as do most pickup makers-it is more powerful and essentially more efficient so the resulting tone usually has a very fast tracking bass response with a distinct cut in the highs.Some players find them cold/hard when run clean and they can cause alot of compression from their relatively hot output-again, depending on how you use them, they are capable of good clean tones too but the general consensus is that Alnicos are sweeter run clean.
Tim
BKP - "Wound, made and played the traditional way --- by hand!" Amen.

Mr Ed

• Welterweight
Magnet types
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 11:26:28 PM »
Excellent post, Tim, very handy to have around!  8)

splawnster

• Junior Flyweight
Magnet types
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 03:49:08 AM »
My first post and this is the best info I have read on the net in a while. Thanks for the great information on magnets.
ESP LTD HM300 - Holydiver ::::::       Kramer stagemaster I -   Crawler ::::::
ESP custom M-1 -VHII

pagan7

• Bantamweight
Magnet types
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 09:25:41 PM »
Maybe a stupid question but I'm assuming that ceramic and alnico magnets are both made and cast in a similar way ?
Therefore would it be possible to make a hybrid magnet by blending various amounts of ceramic and alnico at the casting stage and end up with a magnet that had the properties of both, and would that give you the best of both in one magnet ?
Cheers
CERAMIC NAILBOMBS + Ibanez RGT42DX and PAINKILLERS + Ibanez RG321MH and A5 NAILBOMBS + Ibanez RG1550

WITH FULL DISTORTION

Magnet types
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 08:54:51 PM »
I have a little question Tim : how many models of Ceramic magnet exists?
just the Ceramic 8?!
Hails
JP

Davey

• Welterweight
Magnet types
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 09:00:37 PM »
ooo, good question JP

WITH FULL DISTORTION

Magnet types
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 09:23:07 PM »
i asked that because i heard that there are alnico 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 . and some guys are swapping their magnet for neodymium ones.
and now i read that there is a CERAMIC 8. then must be a ceramic 666(thats mine. PISS OFF. ahahah) or a ceramic 1,2,3 etc.
just for the sake of Information
Q:)
JP
thank´s in ADVANCE.

Kilby

• Welterweight
Magnet types
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2007, 10:13:06 PM »
Quote from: pagan7
Maybe a stupid question but I'm assuming that ceramic and alnico magnets are both made and cast in a similar way ?
Therefore would it be possible to make a hybrid magnet by blending various amounts of ceramic and alnico at the casting stage and end up with a magnet that had the properties of both, and would that give you the best of both in one magnet ?
Cheers

The Kinman site has some info as to why he dosn't think ceramics sound good (personal poinion of course, but he gives some info regarding the differences)

As far as I am aware ceramic magnets are made from a powder that is pressed into dies I think the term for this is 'sintered'

Alnico can be cast or sintered (though cast is more common I beleive)

Ceramics are strontium carbonate (or barium) and iron oxide where as alnico are diffrent metals, so it's unlikely that they would cast happily)

From what I remember Ceramics come in 1, 5 & 8 (5 & 8 have magnitised in the direction of pressing)

Rob...
Goodbye London !

WITH FULL DISTORTION

Magnet types
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2007, 12:37:35 AM »
:lol:
thanks

5F6-A

• Lightweight
Magnet types
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2007, 11:26:36 PM »
thank you Tim,

Very informative. Nevertheless I understand  NOT all alnicos IIs are the same, or all anico Vs, etc....

Am I right?
"I now consider atheism to be brutal because it offers neither consolation nor liberty of any kind" Benjamin Constant in 1804
"Practice until you can hear the metronome grooving" Carol Kaye