Username: Password:

Author Topic: Magnet types  (Read 120177 times)

ras

• Junior Flyweight
Re: Magnet types
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2010, 09:52:46 AM »
So if ceramics have bismuth or strontium carbonates then you have a dimagnetic in direct interaction with the ferromagnetic ferrous/ferric oxide.  Interesting I would think that this would create huge problems inside the magnet itself as the two forces would shear it but if the fields are aligned in such a manner during the sintering process you have huge huge flux from the ceramic material.  Has BPK thought of using a neodymium or other rare earth magnet in experimentation?  I have no idea what size or shape you could use considering the field created by Nd could probably interfere with string vibrations, maybe tiny amounts of Nd in a ceramic material or something like that could work.  I was a Nuclear Engineering and Physics major in college and these things just intrigue me, you get to see a 20+ Tesla magnet at the Francis Bitter lab where you have class about quantum physics and your interest gets piqued.  Enough propeller head talk, you guys make awesome pick ups that is all. :D

ericsabbath

• Welterweight
    • Colidium
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2011, 01:27:48 PM »
wut  :?
Riff Raff, Mules, Black Dog, VHII's, Cold Sweat

MDV

• Middleweight
  • If it sounds good it IS good
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2011, 10:52:23 PM »
Magnets, How the $%&# do they work?

I understood that....I'll get me coat...NEODYNIUMS GOT NO TOANEZ! (thats my answer and I'm sticking to it)

Alex

• Welterweight
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2011, 03:10:42 PM »
So if ceramics have bismuth or strontium carbonates then you have a dimagnetic in direct interaction with the ferromagnetic ferrous/ferric oxide.  Interesting I would think that this would create huge problems inside the magnet itself as the two forces would shear it but if the fields are aligned in such a manner during the sintering process you have huge huge flux from the ceramic material.  Has BPK thought of using a neodymium or other rare earth magnet in experimentation?  I have no idea what size or shape you could use considering the field created by Nd could probably interfere with string vibrations, maybe tiny amounts of Nd in a ceramic material or something like that could work.  I was a Nuclear Engineering and Physics major in college and these things just intrigue me, you get to see a 20+ Tesla magnet at the Francis Bitter lab where you have class about quantum physics and your interest gets piqued.  Enough propeller head talk, you guys make awesome pick ups that is all. :D

In my opinion for good tone you should forget the science behind it. Science and tone don't work together; too often the theory behind it doesn't fit with what you hear. Only your ears can measure if it's right or not.
Current BKPs: Miracle Man, Nailbomb, Juggernaut, VHII
Past BKPS: Holy Diver, Trilogy Suite, Sinner, Black Dog

ev1ltwin

• Flyweight
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2011, 03:41:18 PM »
Science and tone don't work together; too often the theory behind it doesn't fit with what you hear. Only your ears can measure if it's right or not.

wut

JacksonRR

• Lightweight
  • Schrodinger's cat walks into a bar and doesn't.
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2011, 03:30:55 AM »

Lol. I was pointed towards the most retarded "song" ever a few weeks back. That just made my freakin day, lol. I hate ICP.

MDV

• Middleweight
  • If it sounds good it IS good
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2011, 07:00:36 AM »

Lol. I was pointed towards the most retarded "song" ever a few weeks back. That just made my freakin day, lol. I hate ICP.

I too hate ICP and have nothing but unremiting contempt for that song in particular.

I believe it was Dmoney that first introduced me to them, by saying 'magnets, how the..etc' in a thread that got into a bit of the basics of it.....I'd never heard of ICP, the song or the meme, thought it was a genuine question, so I proceeded to explain how magnets work :lol: (as best we currently know at least...or as best I kno w, rather)

davidian

• Strawweight
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2011, 01:51:04 AM »
Has anyone needed to swap out their magnets in BKPs? How would an Alnico 8 stand up against a Ceramic 8? I have a set of Aftermaths in my PRS Cu24 and was wondering if the A8 could round off the highs.

Alex

• Welterweight
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2011, 10:39:18 AM »
. . . that amp had a lot of work done over the time by several guys (rudy leiren, jose arredondo, stevie fryette, van weelden, cerrem, john suhr, mike soldano, dave friedman, reinhold bogner, mark cameron, matt bruck and others), but wasn't tonally modded
it had a lot of parts replaced, but vintage correct stock values

Uggghhhh... What...? Did they just like change his tubes out or something??  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

with all the cr@p that Eddie did to his amps live, I bet he used to melt at least a transformer per week
 :lol:

BTW you do know that Eddie made some of those stories up, like the use of the Variac power thing? ;-)

ericsabbath

• Welterweight
    • Colidium
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2011, 04:07:57 PM »
. . . that amp had a lot of work done over the time by several guys (rudy leiren, jose arredondo, stevie fryette, van weelden, cerrem, john suhr, mike soldano, dave friedman, reinhold bogner, mark cameron, matt bruck and others), but wasn't tonally modded

Uggghhhh... What...? Did they just like change his tubes out or something??  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

with all the cr@p that Eddie did to his amps live, I bet he used to melt at least a transformer per week

BTW you do know that Eddie made some of those stories up, like the use of the Variac power thing? ;-)

not sure about the variac, but he did use the "dynamite" resistor (he thought it was a capacitor), probably wired as a resistive attenuator
I've read some stuff supposedly written by his old tech, that says he did use the variac as well

ericsabbath

• Welterweight
    • Colidium
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2011, 04:14:02 PM »
Has anyone needed to swap out their magnets in BKPs? How would an Alnico 8 stand up against a Ceramic 8? I have a set of Aftermaths in my PRS Cu24 and was wondering if the A8 could round off the highs.

an alnico 8 bar will hardly have the same thickness of the aftermath ceramic magnet (4mm?)
you better sell it and order a proper model
I tried alnico 8 on a holy diver and it sucked the pickup juicy tone
it was good for that particular guitar (a Gibson SG), cause it needed a drier and brighter tone, but it didn't sound like a holy diver anymore

Alex

• Welterweight
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2011, 02:05:38 PM »

not sure about the variac, but he did use the "dynamite" resistor (he thought it was a capacitor), probably wired as a resistive attenuator
I've read some stuff supposedly written by his old tech, that says he did use the variac as well

His "newest claim" (personally I think the guy is full of bullshitee anyway!) was that he never actually used it but was amused at how the "science" behind it developed by people trying to copy his sound. It apparently had been on a picture and people started asking about it. THat was in an interview in Guitar World around a year ago, when he unveiled his new "miracle" guitar.

The other big myth was about the pickup in his Frankenstrat (that wasn't in the GW story though). Apparently it had been a standard Seymour Duncan JB for quite a while. Read here:
http://www.independent.com/news/2011/jul/07/ride-seymour-duncan-special/

Telerocker

• Middleweight
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2012, 05:14:19 PM »
Maybe a stupid question, but I couldn't find anything on the forum (or I didn't search thorougly), but why there are not AIV stratpickups? They're the Yardbirds for the tele's, I guess they could work for strats too.
Mules, VHII, Crawler, MM's, IT's, BG50's.

Tero

• Junior Flyweight
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2012, 01:18:55 PM »
I have to say that AIV made me think my sound and tones whole new way. After trying out a set of Mules for the first time in a Les Paul... I was sold. Ever since I have been an AIV-trustee, freak, you name it. Thanks for Tim bringing AIV back to the roster. Before that I only had tried AII and AV.

Now I use mainly a mixture of AII (Stormy Monday as neck pickup) and AIV (The Mule bridge pickup) on my 3 Les Pauls. One custom LP is fitted with Mule/Abraxas-set, so they are both AlNiCo IV.

Love it! Love 'em!
Crazy for BKP... almost 30 pickups and still ordering more :)

Telerocker

• Middleweight
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2012, 12:28:29 AM »
I have to say that AIV made me think my sound and tones whole new way. After trying out a set of Mules for the first time in a Les Paul... I was sold. Ever since I have been an AIV-trustee, freak, you name it. Thanks for Tim bringing AIV back to the roster. Before that I only had tried AII and AV.

Now I use mainly a mixture of AII (Stormy Monday as neck pickup) and AIV (The Mule bridge pickup) on my 3 Les Pauls. One custom LP is fitted with Mule/Abraxas-set, so they are both AlNiCo IV.

Love it! Love 'em!

That's why I made this question. I have Mules in a Saint Blues Missisippi Bluesmaster. The dynamics, depth, articulation and balance are superb.
Mules, VHII, Crawler, MM's, IT's, BG50's.