Username: Password:

Author Topic: Magnet types  (Read 120176 times)

ericsabbath

• Welterweight
    • Colidium
Re: Magnet types
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2008, 02:25:55 PM »
Tim would disagree that A8 has none of the drawbacks of A5, A2 and ceramic. The thing is, BKPs with those standard magnets don't have the drawbacks that many other makers' pickups do. BKPs ceramic pups don't sound harsh and/or sterile, alnico 5 BKPs still sound tight and not scooped etc. There's a reason Tim chooses A5 and ceramic over A8 in the standard models. He has once said that A8 compresses the tone even more than ceramic and that sacrifices dynamics and organicness.

i think you didn't get what those guys said
magnets have a huge influence in the sound of a pickup
of course an alnico 5 pickup can sound middy and a ceramic can sound not harsh, but using specific winding patterns for that
those characteristics are used to describe how a "generic" pickup (with usual original paf style winding) is influenced by each type of magnet
if those characteristics didn't count, why the hell people would use different kinds of magnets?
from my short experience with alnico 8, i'd agree with every word and it doesn't mean that any alnico 8 pickup will be superior to any other pickup
each magnet and winding combination will result in a different tone and dynamic response
just a matter of taste if you like the final result or not

just a curiosity
i've read that eddie van halen used his 70's ibanez destroyer (explorer copy) on his first 2 albums
that guitar had a ibanez super 70 pickup, which was an alnico 8 PAF style humbucker
I don't hear anything special on those albums, but most guitarrists love that tone
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 04:57:05 PM by Eric Hellstyle »
Riff Raff, Mules, Black Dog, VHII's, Cold Sweat

il˙ti

• Welterweight
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2008, 03:37:47 PM »
I wasn't disagreeing with the characteristics of A8 or any of the other magnet types, just explaining why BKP don't use A8 that much.
Crawlers, Mule-7s
The Danish parliament is working on an official apology for Lars Ulrich

Bradock PI

• Featherweight
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2009, 11:23:43 PM »
Ever tried making pickups with rare earth magnets ?

Of course you may need watch the amp inputs !!!!

MDV

• Middleweight
  • If it sounds good it IS good
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2009, 11:32:42 PM »
There are neodynium pickups out there. Apparently they're very natural and accoustic sounding. I dont know if Tims used them or not.

Bradock PI

• Featherweight
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2009, 11:47:16 PM »
The only ones I have seen are for acoustics but I am no expert on guitars

ericsabbath

• Welterweight
    • Colidium
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2009, 11:48:22 PM »
I had a neodymium speaker that worked pretty good with some amps

very articulated and responsive

but I don't think that would be a good thing for a pickup
unless it was a really really thin magnet bar, and it should be encapsuled

Bradock PI

• Featherweight
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2009, 11:50:29 PM »
When I read about this

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/guitars-1/electric-guitars-2/taylor-classic-solidbody-electric-guitar-natural-617.html

I noticed taylor have used neodynium magnets in the pickups for their solid bodies so I was wrong !

Anyone tried one? I am sure their pickups can be improved!!

thewererabbit

• Strawweight
  • myspace.com/choirofcarnage
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2009, 12:58:52 AM »
which magnets are better suited to low tuning/ high gain?? Is it the magnet or more the winding?? I've had good experience with ceramic so far, quite sharp and tight, but I'm wondering what some different alnico maggies will give me.

These will in an iceman, mahogany body, rosewood fretboard through a framus cobra and a marshall 1960bv cab, if that helps.
thank you
mel
stricken numb by fear I fall

ericsabbath

• Welterweight
    • Colidium
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2009, 12:24:33 AM »
which magnets are better suited to low tuning/ high gain?? Is it the magnet or more the winding?? I've had good experience with ceramic so far, quite sharp and tight, but I'm wondering what some different alnico maggies will give me.

These will in an iceman, mahogany body, rosewood fretboard through a framus cobra and a marshall 1960bv cab, if that helps.
thank you
mel

hey man!
welcome to the forum

I have only mahogany guitars too and a framus cobra (that's completely modded now)
are you using some kind of boost?
I love the painkiller, cold sweat and the miracle man through the cobra
this amp prefers ceramic pups, imo
but heavily boosted alnico models work really nice too
I currently use a late 70's maxon EQ as a booster
I guess a mid boosted black dog would work fine
the holy diver with stock alnico 5 + mxr wylde overdrive was pretty good
but what that amp really NEEDS is greenback speakers
never was able to get a true good tone from any other speaker
the V30s makes it even more dry and a bit harsh
it just does not breathe like it does through greenbacks

WezV

• Middleweight
    • http://wezvenables.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2009, 10:31:47 PM »
Ever tried making pickups with rare earth magnets ?

Of course you may need watch the amp inputs !!!!

never got around to trying these out
http://www.q-tuner.com

Tomcaster

• Flyweight
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2009, 02:31:30 PM »
I must say I am stunned how much magnet types for Strat pups make a difference. Alnico III sounds soooo round and 50s while Alnico V is pure Stevie Ray or Jimi.

ShredHeadJHJ

• Bantamweight
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2010, 12:53:49 AM »
just a curiosity
i've read that eddie van halen used his 70's ibanez destroyer (explorer copy) on his first 2 albums
that guitar had a ibanez super 70 pickup, which was an alnico 8 PAF style humbucker
I don't hear anything special on those albums, but most guitarrists love that tone

I think his tone on the first album was epic :) Wasn't the main factor to his sound the Soldano modded Plexi, or am I wrong...?

ericsabbath

• Welterweight
    • Colidium
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2010, 02:35:24 AM »
just a curiosity

I think his tone on the first album was epic :) Wasn't the main factor to his sound the Soldano modded Plexi, or am I wrong...?

that's just a regular late 60's marshall super lead
that amp had a lot of work done over the time by several guys (rudy leiren, jose arredondo, stevie fryette, van weelden, cerrem, john suhr, mike soldano, dave friedman, reinhold bogner, mark cameron, matt bruck and others), but wasn't tonally modded
it had a lot of parts replaced, but vintage correct stock values

« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 02:37:40 AM by Eric Hellstyle »

ShredHeadJHJ

• Bantamweight
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2010, 02:49:33 AM »
. . . that amp had a lot of work done over the time by several guys (rudy leiren, jose arredondo, stevie fryette, van weelden, cerrem, john suhr, mike soldano, dave friedman, reinhold bogner, mark cameron, matt bruck and others), but wasn't tonally modded

Uggghhhh... What...? Did they just like change his tubes out or something??  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ericsabbath

• Welterweight
    • Colidium
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2010, 06:22:13 AM »
. . . that amp had a lot of work done over the time by several guys (rudy leiren, jose arredondo, stevie fryette, van weelden, cerrem, john suhr, mike soldano, dave friedman, reinhold bogner, mark cameron, matt bruck and others), but wasn't tonally modded

Uggghhhh... What...? Did they just like change his tubes out or something??  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

with all the cr@p that Eddie did to his amps live, I bet he used to melt at least a transformer per week
 :lol: