Username: Password:

Author Topic: Twinfan has gone custom! (Completed guitar - pics added!)  (Read 87349 times)

ToneMonkey

• Welterweight
Re: Twinfan is going custom! Shock horror!
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009, 02:27:29 PM »
You'd be suprised how far good templates get you.  EDIT:  You'll also be bloody good at sanding before you finish  :D

Feline - I read once about sealing with gelatine, you ever tried that?  Also about burninshing with a stone before finishing?  Someone gave me a really old article about finishing guitars.
Advice worth what you just paid for it.

MDV

• Middleweight
  • If it sounds good it IS good
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2009, 03:21:50 PM »
You can get Tru-oil off ebay.  You just wipe on with a rag, let it dry and then buff it with 000 wire wool which leavs a dull satin.  Then buff with Bri-wax or similar for a nice finish. 

You will probably need about 5 coats of the oil to build the finish off.  You can also either Dye the oil or use a coloured wax if you want to tone down the white of the maple.

No - I would use OOOO grade wire wool, and Liberon brand at that

OOO would be too coarse and would leave scratches

Tru-oil has more hardeners in it than Tung Oil or Danish Oil

I sometimes wipe a coat or two of cellulose sanding sealer on first to seal the wood - seems to work well
I smooth that back once very dry with 0000 wire wool and apply tru-oil

Whats the final ranking between the oils then - what would you use for a whole guitar and under what circumstances would you use each one?

I know lemon oil isnt supposed to seal either, but I've found that at least in maple it does confer some protection against engraining dirt - wheres that come on the scale?

MDV

• Middleweight
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2009, 03:25:58 PM »
You can get Tru-oil off ebay.  You just wipe on with a rag, let it dry and then buff it with 000 wire wool which leavs a dull satin.  Then buff with Bri-wax or similar for a nice finish. 

You will probably need about 5 coats of the oil to build the finish off.  You can also either Dye the oil or use a coloured wax if you want to tone down the white of the maple.

No - I would use OOOO grade wire wool, and Liberon brand at that

OOO would be too coarse and would leave scratches

Tru-oil has more hardeners in it than Tung Oil or Danish Oil

I sometimes wipe a coat or two of cellulose sanding sealer on first to seal the wood - seems to work well
I smooth that back once very dry with 0000 wire wool and apply tru-oil

Oh, and what about micromeshes? They go down to 12000 grit - give frets a mirror finish and I've tried them on one cheap fretboard - very nice result, very smooth indeed.

http://www.stewmac.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi?client=56a0f55686916bf737a98d1af137adc7&action=search&SEARCH_FIELD=NB%3BNM%3BWORDS%3BSPECS&SEARCH_SPEC=micromesh&SUBMIT_ACTION_SEARCH.x=0&SUBMIT_ACTION_SEARCH.y=0

FernandoDuarte

• Welterweight
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2009, 04:36:26 PM »
Cool! :D

ToneMonkey

• Welterweight
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2009, 04:45:18 PM »
I don't seem to get on with micromesh. I know people that love it for for polish a guitar, it wasn't for me.

MDV

• Middleweight
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2009, 04:49:20 PM »
I don't seem to get on with micromesh. I know people that love it for for polish a guitar, it wasn't for me.

Why?

ToneMonkey

• Welterweight
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2009, 05:06:06 PM »
I used it for polishing a body and the surface area seemed too small to make it worth while as I was really trying hard not to get too close to the edges.  You're supposed to go at 90 degrees to the last grade of paper each time so I didn't even give it a go on the sides.  Maybe I should have gone in circles, but I actually followed the instructions for a change.

It was probably me as I don't have much patience for such things.  Sent the guitar off with a tube of T-cut and a few beers to a mate who owed me a favour in the end.  Still, he's not done it, so maybe the micromesh was more efficient afterall  :D

I've heard good things about it, but as with a lot of finishing stuff, it's horses for courses.  Some people swear by it and some don't, you pays yer money and you makes yer choice.

By the way, that kit in Stew-Mac looks a little pricey.  I'm sure I got more sheets as well as a polishing cloth and some liquid poilsh to finish it off for about the same price.  Have a look around model shops on the net as model builders use it.

tomjackson

• Welterweight
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2009, 05:06:32 PM »
Interesting.  I'm after more of an oiled finish, than a 'proper' finish if that makes sense?  And as little of it as possible, just ebough to seal the wood.  So mentioned in this thread is:

Tung Oil
Tru-Oil
Gunstock Oil

WezV to the Batphone please!  :lol:

Tru-oil is Gunstock oil, True-oil is just the brand and yes Felineguitars are correct, I should have put 0000.  In fact I used Liberon 0000 as advised.

Dave if you want to see the finish I have it on the body of my Tele, in fact I have a bottle you could use if you like, would just have to get it back from my mate......

MDV

• Middleweight
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2009, 05:11:30 PM »
I used it for polishing a body and the surface area seemed too small to make it worth while as I was really trying hard not to get too close to the edges.  You're supposed to go at 90 degrees to the last grade of paper each time so I didn't even give it a go on the sides.  Maybe I should have gone in circles, but I actually followed the instructions for a change.

It was probably me as I don't have much patience for such things.  Sent the guitar off with a tube of T-cut and a few beers to a mate who owed me a favour in the end.  Still, he's not done it, so maybe the micromesh was more efficient afterall  :D

I've heard good things about it, but as with a lot of finishing stuff, it's horses for courses.  Some people swear by it and some don't, you pays yer money and you makes yer choice.

By the way, that kit in Stew-Mac looks a little pricey.  I'm sure I got more sheets as well as a polishing cloth and some liquid poilsh to finish it off for about the same price.  Have a look around model shops on the net as model builders use it.
Fair enough. Just wondering what your experience was with it. I love the stuff.

I'm aware modellers use it, too. It was developed for polishing aircraft windshields though.

ToneMonkey

• Welterweight
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2009, 05:16:30 PM »
I figured that you'd have some, it's the scientist in you.

Since you're a dab hand with it, fancy polishing a guitar for me.   :lol:

WezV

• Middleweight
    • http://wezvenables.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2009, 05:20:05 PM »
yep - tru-oil is the way to go for this.  You want a few coats, leave it for a day or two then rub back with the 0000 liberon wire wool as suggested.   The brand is important, i have some 00000 Colron wire wool here that is never going near a guitar again!!!

i do like danish oil and wax finishes on more oily woods like rosewood or zebrano but tru-oil is better for maples

you will be building a modern eagle clone in no time!!  ;)

ToneMonkey

• Welterweight
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2009, 05:21:44 PM »

Inevitable I would say.  Only a matter of time.

MDV

• Middleweight
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2009, 05:30:44 PM »
I figured that you'd have some, it's the scientist in you.

Since you're a dab hand with it, fancy polishing a guitar for me.   :lol:

:lol: no, no, like I said, I've just used it for frets and one fretboard. Great results, but thats a rather limited group!

Twinfan

• Light Heavyweight
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2009, 05:35:40 PM »
yep - tru-oil is the way to go for this.  You want a few coats, leave it for a day or two then rub back with the 0000 liberon wire wool as suggested.   The brand is important, i have some 00000 Colron wire wool here that is never going near a guitar again!!!

i do like danish oil and wax finishes on more oily woods like rosewood or zebrano but tru-oil is better for maples

Thanks Wez - Tru-Oil it is then  :)

Roobubba

• Welterweight
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2009, 07:59:30 PM »

Dave if you want to see the finish I have it on the body of my Tele, in fact I have a bottle you could use if you like

Could I bottle your tele? :D