Username: Password:

Author Topic: Twinfan has gone custom! (Completed guitar - pics added!)  (Read 87364 times)

Twinfan

• Light Heavyweight
Twinfan has gone custom! (Completed guitar - pics added!)
« on: March 30, 2009, 11:42:58 AM »
Yes folks it's true, I'm going to build myself a guitar  :)  Well, when I say build I kinda mean 'assemble'  :lol:  Sorry Wez/Jonathon/Bob, but a full on custom build is not required at this point!

Mr Bump's creation, and some of Philly Q's work, got me thinking about the TV Jones pickups I have lying around and what I could 'create' rather than buy.  I'm just checking out a few details but hopefully I'll be ordering a bunch of stuff tonight  :)  More details fo follow later......

For now though, how do I seal a raw maple neck?  I think I've read that Gunstock Oil (or a Gunstock Oil/Wax combo) can be rubbed into it and then topped up as it wears?  If so, where can I get it from?  Something like the US brand Tru-Oil?

Also, can I use the same stuff on a guitar body?  Or do I need to get something different like Danish Oil?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 05:11:16 PM by Twinfan »

MrBump

• Welterweight
  • Essex! Home of the Brave!!!
    • This Is Essex
Re: Twinfan is going custom! Shock horror!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 11:45:08 AM »
Good man, Dave!  You'll be giving PRS a run for their money very soon!

Mark.
BKPs Past and Present - Nailbombs, Mules, Blackguard Flat 50's, VHII's & Trilogy Suite with Neck & Bridge Baseplates!

Twinfan

• Light Heavyweight
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 12:01:08 PM »
Cheers Mark - you've inspired me to give it a go!  I like a good project and I had a bunch of parts lying around anyway: pots, cap, switch, pickups, string retainer, straplocks etc
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 12:08:48 PM by Twinfan »

MDV

• Middleweight
  • If it sounds good it IS good
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 12:07:24 PM »
Good stuff!

I think tru and gunstock oil are basically the same thing, and theres little to no practical difference with danish oil either. I *think*.

And yes, you can use that for maple and the same stuff for the body.

Twinfan

• Light Heavyweight
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 12:09:45 PM »
Great stuff - cheers!  I'll use the same stuff for both then, something like Gunstock Oil/Tru-Oil.....

Stevepage

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 12:38:05 PM »
Yes folks it's true, I'm going to build myself a guitar  :)  Well, when I say build I kinda mean 'assemble'  :lol:  Sorry Wez/Jonathon/Bob, but a full on custom build is not required at this point!

Mr Bump's creation, and some of Philly Q's work, got me thinking about the TV Jones pickups I have lying around and what I could 'create' rather than buy.  I'm just checking out a few details but hopefully I'll be ordering a bunch of stuff tonight  :)  More details fo follow later......

For now though, how do I seal a raw maple neck?  I think I've read that Gunstock Oil (or a Gunstock Oil/Wax combo) can be rubbed into it and then topped up as it wears?  If so, where can I get it from?  Something like the US brand Tru-Oil?

Also, can I use the same stuff on a guitar body?  Or do I need to get something different like Danish Oil?

You could also use Tung Oil. Ernie Ball use it on the Steve Lukather necks. I've used it on two of my guitar's necks and it seems to have done a nice job.

Philly Q

• Light Heavyweight
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 12:45:53 PM »
I think tru and gunstock oil are basically the same thing, and theres little to no practical difference with danish oil either. I *think*.

And yes, you can use that for maple and the same stuff for the body.

From previous discussions with Wez, I think the first bit's right, Tru-Oil and gunstock oil are basically the same thing.  But that's more of a "finish", which actually sets hard, whereas Danish Oil is more of an "oil" (although I think it does have some hardeners in it as well, so it's pretty confusing). 

I think you can use Tru-Oil as a finish in its own right, but with Danish Oil you'd need to wax it afterwards.  Or something like that.  I'm sure Wez will turn up and clarify.

I've always quite fancied trying an oil finish, but wasn't sure (a) how easy it is to c--k up (b) how difficult it is to maintain.  I always end up buying pre-finished necks and bodies instead.
BKPs I've Got:  RR, BKP-91, ITs, VHII, CS set, Emeralds
BKPs I Had:  RY+Abraxas, Crawlers, BD+SM

MDV

• Middleweight
  • If it sounds good it IS good
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 12:50:15 PM »
Quite probable, philly, quite probable. Wouldnt have emphasised the *I think* were I certain of the information.

Oli

• Lightweight
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 12:52:39 PM »
Tru-Oil can be used on both the neck and the body, gives a nice finish, and is simple to do :)
Nailbomb, VHII, Warpig 7, MQ, Black Dog, 10th Anniversary

Philly Q

• Light Heavyweight
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 01:28:24 PM »
Quite probable, philly, quite probable. Wouldnt have emphasised the *I think* were I certain of the information.

Yeah, I'm very much in the *I think* category too.  :)   But I'm sure all will become clear as the thread progresses!
BKPs I've Got:  RR, BKP-91, ITs, VHII, CS set, Emeralds
BKPs I Had:  RY+Abraxas, Crawlers, BD+SM

tomjackson

• Welterweight
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 01:42:54 PM »
You can get Tru-oil off ebay.  You just wipe on with a rag, let it dry and then buff it with 000 wire wool which leavs a dull satin.  Then buff with Bri-wax or similar for a nice finish. 

You will probably need about 5 coats of the oil to build the finish off.  You can also either Dye the oil or use a coloured wax if you want to tone down the white of the maple.

Twinfan

• Light Heavyweight
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 01:50:44 PM »
Interesting.  I'm after more of an oiled finish, than a 'proper' finish if that makes sense?  And as little of it as possible, just ebough to seal the wood.  So mentioned in this thread is:

Tung Oil
Tru-Oil
Gunstock Oil

WezV to the Batphone please!  :lol:

ToneMonkey

• Welterweight
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 02:10:22 PM »
Oh dear Twinfan, it's only a matter of time until you get a router and start making sawdust now.
Advice worth what you just paid for it.

FELINEGUITARS

• Middleweight
  • London & Southeast's Number 1 BKP stockist
    • http://www.felineguitars.com
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 02:24:55 PM »
You can get Tru-oil off ebay.  You just wipe on with a rag, let it dry and then buff it with 000 wire wool which leavs a dull satin.  Then buff with Bri-wax or similar for a nice finish. 

You will probably need about 5 coats of the oil to build the finish off.  You can also either Dye the oil or use a coloured wax if you want to tone down the white of the maple.

No - I would use OOOO grade wire wool, and Liberon brand at that

OOO would be too coarse and would leave scratches

Tru-oil has more hardeners in it than Tung Oil or Danish Oil

I sometimes wipe a coat or two of cellulose sanding sealer on first to seal the wood - seems to work well
I smooth that back once very dry with 0000 wire wool and apply tru-oil
www.felineguitars.com - repairs & custom built
Great fretwork!
Buy your BKPs & Earvana from ME!

Twinfan

• Light Heavyweight
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 02:25:18 PM »
No chance - my woodworking skills are awful!!!!!  I can assemble and solder, and that's as far as it goes!

Thanks Jonathon.  So I'm looking at 0000 grade wire wool between coats of Tru-oil then?  On both the body and neck?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 02:27:24 PM by Twinfan »