Username: Password:

Author Topic: Larry Cartlon style pups for my 335  (Read 12902 times)

elavd

  • Flyweight
  • *
  • Posts: 70
    • Elias Avdikos @ Myspace
Larry Cartlon style pups for my 335
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2008, 07:17:59 PM »
Quote from: PhilKing

I hate to disappoint you but it is a real 1957 strat that was reprayed in white with no lacquer overspray, so it never yellowed.  The one at the side is a 61 olympic white.  Sonic Blues are very cool though.  My olympic white had been painted daphne blue (by hand I think!) when I got it, but the old body was part sanded away.  There is a replacement body on it.  I think Mr 38 is a big sonic blue strat fan.


I had this Classic Playe 60s Sonic Blue strat but I had to sell it in order to get some money that I needed...:(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Lv9xDCEJ0
> How many guitars are enough?
> One MORE!!!

38thBeatle

  • Middleweight
  • *****
  • Posts: 6098
    • http://www.myspace.com/alteregoukband
Larry Cartlon style pups for my 335
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2008, 08:10:30 PM »
Welcome to the forum. I can't help with your pickup choice but if you do get the SM's I look forward to hearing your evaluation. Phil is correct, Sonic Blue is my favourite Strat colour.
Send three and fourpence we're going to a dance
BKP's: Apache, Country Boy, Slowhands.

Jonny

  • Welterweight
  • ****
  • Posts: 2890
  • Seven-String Financial Analyst in Training
Larry Cartlon style pups for my 335
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2008, 08:15:01 PM »
I would just like to add, as a sort of side-note that your guitar, in my opinion, is AWESOME.

I love 335s
"Would you like some lemon oil?"
"Oh, no thanks, I don't eat fruit."

elavd

  • Flyweight
  • *
  • Posts: 70
    • Elias Avdikos @ Myspace
Larry Cartlon style pups for my 335
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2008, 08:18:26 PM »
Quote from: Jonny
I would just like to add, as a sort of side-note that your guitar, in my opinion, is AWESOME.

I love 335s


Thanks!!!

Check out some photos of it:







> How many guitars are enough?
> One MORE!!!

Philly Q

  • Light Heavyweight
  • ******
  • Posts: 18109
Larry Cartlon style pups for my 335
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2008, 08:43:41 PM »
Quote from: elavd
I had this Classic Playe 60s Sonic Blue strat but I had to sell it in order to get some money that I needed...:(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Lv9xDCEJ0

Those are great Strats for the money.  I almost bought one, but ended up with my Robert Cray Strat - for the hardtail bridge and fat neck.
BKPs I've Got:  RR, BKP-91, ITs, VHII, CS set, Emeralds
BKPs I Had:  RY+Abraxas, Crawlers, BD+SM

maverickf1jockey

  • Welterweight
  • ****
  • Posts: 1051
  • Still awaiting the release of Uncle Meat.
Larry Cartlon style pups for my 335
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2008, 08:53:43 PM »
Flamboyant guitar case :wink: .
I too use chicken as a measurement.

Fourth Feline

  • Guest
Larry Cartlon style pups for my 335
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2008, 08:56:08 PM »
Thanks for posting those beautiful pictures Elavd, that really is my dream guitar !  8)

Johnny Mac

  • Middleweight
  • *****
  • Posts: 5841
    • Ultimate Guitar Profile
Larry Cartlon style pups for my 335
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2008, 06:34:55 PM »
Quote from: Fourth Feline
Quote from: Twinfan
I'd wait for "Fourth Feline" to chime in here, as this question is right up his street, but I feel sure he'll tell you that you need a set of A2 Stormy Mondays  :)


Spot on my friend !

I have not yet fitted them to a 335 style guitar ( hopefully very soon though ! ) - but in a slender bodied S.G. they where heavenly.

I must explain that I am also a great fan of Larry Carlton, and the sound I was hearing ( even in a slim solid body guitar ) - was spot on for those tones.

Specifically, when you turn a bridge Alnico II Stormy up, it never gets harsh - and when you turn up the neck, it never gets "boomy ".  I have also found them very easy to balance and e.q. - as they are the most sweetly transparent and balanced pickups I have ever heard.  

My conviction in this matter is further proven by the fact that I will be buying a '335' copy just to put the Stormy Mondays in !  

I will of course report back as soon as I can ...  :D



Any idea FF which 335 copy your going to get? I love 335's too and would love to get one but they are expensive so a good copy would do me with unpotted SM's.

Lovely looking guitar Elavd! Looks like LC's. He has a great tone and his playing is amazing.
Welcome!
Warpig, MQ,
Miracle Man-Trilogy Suite, Cold Sweats, Black Guards, Rebel Yells & Irish Tours!

Philly Q

  • Light Heavyweight
  • ******
  • Posts: 18109
Larry Cartlon style pups for my 335
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2008, 07:25:20 PM »
Quote from: Johnny Mac
I love 335's too and would love to get one but they are expensive so a good copy would do me with unpotted SM's.

Tokai make some pretty amazing looking 335 copies:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tokai-Japan-Premium-ES-335-VNT-Flame-Nitro-H-C_W0QQitemZ320247168921QQihZ011QQcategoryZ2384QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Not even close to cheap though, I'm sure there must be thriftier options.
BKPs I've Got:  RR, BKP-91, ITs, VHII, CS set, Emeralds
BKPs I Had:  RY+Abraxas, Crawlers, BD+SM

elavd

  • Flyweight
  • *
  • Posts: 70
    • Elias Avdikos @ Myspace
Larry Cartlon style pups for my 335
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2008, 07:35:45 PM »
Quote from: Philly Q
Quote from: Johnny Mac
I love 335's too and would love to get one but they are expensive so a good copy would do me with unpotted SM's.

Tokai make some pretty amazing looking 335 copies:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tokai-Japan-Premium-ES-335-VNT-Flame-Nitro-H-C_W0QQitemZ320247168921QQihZ011QQcategoryZ2384QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Not even close to cheap though, I'm sure there must be thriftier options.


I was ready to buy a Tokai 335 copy, but it would cost me something like 1200 (aprox. 950 pounds).
But I found this used (and in PERFECT condition) original Gibson ES335 and I bought it for 1800 (~1400 pounds)
> How many guitars are enough?
> One MORE!!!

ledzettervall

  • Junior Flyweight
  • *
  • Posts: 27
Larry Cartlon style pups for my 335
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2008, 08:36:47 PM »
While you're doing the pickup change get an RS vintage kit with better pots and caps too, they will open up the sound even more and make the volume and tone controls more usable. In combination with BKP unpotted pickups you will get an amazing sound with that 335!

That setup gives you much better options in variation when it comes to the settings of volume and tone controls, you can turn down the tone to like 5 easily without robbing the guitar of dynamics and focus. Also even better clarity when you roll down vol.

Just my opinion. Helped my guitars alot!

elavd

  • Flyweight
  • *
  • Posts: 70
    • Elias Avdikos @ Myspace
Larry Cartlon style pups for my 335
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2008, 08:38:32 PM »
Quote from: ledzettervall
While you're doing the pickup change get an RS vintage kit with better pots and caps too, they will open up the sound even more and make the volume and tone controls more usable. In combination with BKP unpotted pickups you will get an amazing sound with that 335!

That setup gives you much better options in variation when it comes to the settings of volume and tone controls, you can turn down the tone to like 5 easily without robbing the guitar of dynamics and focus. Also even better clarity when you roll down vol.

Just my opinion. Helped my guitars alot!


Thanks!!! That's a very good advice ;)
> How many guitars are enough?
> One MORE!!!

Fourth Feline

  • Guest
Larry Cartlon style pups for my 335
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2008, 10:33:51 PM »
Quote from: Johnny Mac
Quote from: Fourth Feline
Quote from: Twinfan
I'd wait for "Fourth Feline" to chime in here, as this question is right up his street, but I feel sure he'll tell you that you need a set of A2 Stormy Mondays  :)


Spot on my friend !

I have not yet fitted them to a 335 style guitar ( hopefully very soon though ! ) - but in a slender bodied S.G. they where heavenly.

I must explain that I am also a great fan of Larry Carlton, and the sound I was hearing ( even in a slim solid body guitar ) - was spot on for those tones.

Specifically, when you turn a bridge Alnico II Stormy up, it never gets harsh - and when you turn up the neck, it never gets "boomy ".  I have also found them very easy to balance and e.q. - as they are the most sweetly transparent and balanced pickups I have ever heard.  

My conviction in this matter is further proven by the fact that I will be buying a '335' copy just to put the Stormy Mondays in !  

I will of course report back as soon as I can ...  :D



Any idea FF which 335 copy your going to get? I love 335's too and would love to get one but they are expensive so a good copy would do me with unpotted SM's.

Lovely looking guitar Elavd! Looks like LC's. He has a great tone and his playing is amazing.
Welcome!


Hiya Johnny  :)

Yes, it looks like the Tanglewood TH502.  

I  tried an Aria TA-50, but the action was terrible, even with the bridge screwed down and the truss rod tightened. The binding / finishing / translucent finish was nicer on the Tanglewood too. When I e:maled Tanglewood for more information they replied quickly and helpfully.

 I also tried a 'Vintage' 355 copy in another shop - and the neck and set up was amazingly good straight out of the box.  However,  overall I prefered the chrome/ nickel hardware - and simplicity of a 335 copy over a 355 copy. I saw on the web that that Ibanez had a nice looking guitar too, but it was 100 + more for things I did not need.

As luck has it, a local dealer / player  had got a nice second hand Tanglewood TH502 in - and has set it up / dressed the frets e.t.c. at good price. When he brings it round to my place on Saturday, I only hope it feels as good as described.

I have the Gibson  335 wiring kit on the way from Axes'r'Us' - and of course the Stormy Mondays.

I am really looking forward to the upgrading and the playng !

Johnny Mac

  • Middleweight
  • *****
  • Posts: 5841
    • Ultimate Guitar Profile
Larry Cartlon style pups for my 335
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2008, 11:01:33 PM »
Quote from: Fourth Feline
Quote from: Johnny Mac
Quote from: Fourth Feline
Quote from: Twinfan
I'd wait for "Fourth Feline" to chime in here, as this question is right up his street, but I feel sure he'll tell you that you need a set of A2 Stormy Mondays  :)


Spot on my friend !

I have not yet fitted them to a 335 style guitar ( hopefully very soon though ! ) - but in a slender bodied S.G. they where heavenly.

I must explain that I am also a great fan of Larry Carlton, and the sound I was hearing ( even in a slim solid body guitar ) - was spot on for those tones.

Specifically, when you turn a bridge Alnico II Stormy up, it never gets harsh - and when you turn up the neck, it never gets "boomy ".  I have also found them very easy to balance and e.q. - as they are the most sweetly transparent and balanced pickups I have ever heard.  

My conviction in this matter is further proven by the fact that I will be buying a '335' copy just to put the Stormy Mondays in !  

I will of course report back as soon as I can ...  :D



Any idea FF which 335 copy your going to get? I love 335's too and would love to get one but they are expensive so a good copy would do me with unpotted SM's.

Lovely looking guitar Elavd! Looks like LC's. He has a great tone and his playing is amazing.
Welcome!


Hiya Johnny  :)

Yes, it looks like the Tanglewood TH502.  

I  tried an Aria TA-50, but the action was terrible, even with the bridge screwed down and the truss rod tightened. The binding / finishing / translucent finish was nicer on the Tanglewood too. When I e:maled Tanglewood for more information they replied quickly and helpfully.

 I also tried a 'Vintage' 355 copy in another shop - and the neck and set up was amazingly good straight out of the box.  However,  overall I prefered the chrome/ nickel hardware - and simplicity of a 335 copy over a 355 copy. I saw on the web that that Ibanez had a nice looking guitar too, but it was 100 + more for things I did not need.

As luck has it, a local dealer / player  had got a nice second hand Tanglewood TH502 in - and has set it up / dressed the frets e.t.c. at good price. When he brings it round to my place on Saturday, I only hope it feels as good as described.

I have the Gibson  335 wiring kit on the way from Axes'r'Us' - and of course the Stormy Mondays.

I am really looking forward to the upgrading and the playng !


Nice one sounds interesting. Look foward to hearing what you think of it!
I've wanted a 335 for years but always get side tracked by other things.
Warpig, MQ,
Miracle Man-Trilogy Suite, Cold Sweats, Black Guards, Rebel Yells & Irish Tours!

38thBeatle

  • Middleweight
  • *****
  • Posts: 6098
    • http://www.myspace.com/alteregoukband
Larry Cartlon style pups for my 335
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2008, 07:31:26 AM »
Far East Guitars had a nice looking Yamaha 335 a like when I last looked.
Send three and fourpence we're going to a dance
BKP's: Apache, Country Boy, Slowhands.