Username: Password:

Author Topic: MXR Zakk wylde od or MXR GT-OD?  (Read 4520 times)

Stevepage

• Featherweight
MXR Zakk wylde od or MXR GT-OD?
« on: December 07, 2010, 07:50:45 PM »
I tried out a Zakk Wylde overdrive yesterday with a PRS CE22 and a Blackstar HT40. It sounded great and I was close to buying it there and then but I was wondering about the GT-OD. How does it differ from the Zakk Wylde in terms of build and sound?

Alex

• Welterweight
Re: MXR Zakk wylde od or MXR GT-OD?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 02:51:16 PM »
IMO the GT-OD is A LOT better.
Less noise, more flexibility.

Right side of this page, "Soundbeispiele" may help you a bit. Just listen to it.
http://www.thomann.de/de/mxr_zakk_wylde_overdrivepedal.htm
http://www.thomann.de/de/mxr_custom_shop_gtod.htm

The Zakk is edgier and goes along well with Marshalls, but can be picky with other amps.

Current BKPs: Miracle Man, Nailbomb, Juggernaut, VHII
Past BKPS: Holy Diver, Trilogy Suite, Sinner, Black Dog

ericsabbath

• Welterweight
    • Colidium
Re: MXR Zakk T od or MXR GT-OD?
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 03:30:38 PM »
never tried the GT-OD but the wylde is a great pedal
sounds like the GT-OD is pretty similar but less bass heavy and more upper mid focused, like a tube screamer
you gotta find out what works best with your amp

I have a MXR CAE boost/overdrive now
the clean boost side is flawless for cleans and crunch, but not really good for higher gain boosting, since it's almost a 100% transparent and the signal gets way too thick easily (I use heavy weight Les Pauls)
the overdrive side is a lot more transparent than tube screamers and the wylde, but a bit too thick, clear and crunchy for my tastes
I like the added color and the huge bass cut of a SD-1 or TS-9

sometimes I use a 1980 maxon 6 band EQ as a booster, cutting some low end and adding upper mids
it has the same JRC4558D opamp as the classic screamers, but the effect is quite different
more of a Tool style aggressive crunch than the colored smoothness of an overdrive

I just bought an late 80's/early 90's Roland Oliver SD-10 for cheap
it was the licensed brazilian version of the SD-1
let's see how it will work with my amps (a heavily modded '73 Marshall JMP and a custom Zambelli Hyperdrive 50, both 4 stage high gain amps)
my JMP loves the stock TS-9 and the Hyperdrive loves the unbuffered true bypass Zambelli version of the TS808 (that pedal sounds A LOT thicker and fuller than the TS-9)
maybe I'll get the Oliver modded to screamer specs IF it doesn't sound as good as the others

I have an Oliver GE-70 as well (equivalent to Boss GE-7), but I rarely use it (great after distortion, but too noisy and spikey for pre-gain boosting)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 03:40:54 PM by Eric Hellstyle »
Riff Raff, Mules, Black Dog, VHII's, Cold Sweat

gwEm

• Middleweight
    • http://www.preromanbritain.com/gwem
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 05:26:07 PM »
I have an Oliver GE-70 as well (equivalent to Boss GE-7), but I rarely use it (great after distortion, but too noisy and spikey for pre-gain boosting)

its the same with the boss ge-7.... get it modded mate, you won't regret it!! one of my favourite things :)
Quote from: AndyR
you wouldn't use the meat knife on crusty bread but, equally, the serrated knife and straight edge knife aren't going to go through raw meat as quickly

Stevepage

• Featherweight
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 06:44:43 PM »
never tried the GT-OD but the wylde is a great pedal
sounds like the GT-OD is pretty similar but less bass heavy and more upper mid focused, like a tube screamer
you gotta find out what works best with your amp

I have a MXR CAE boost/overdrive now
the clean boost side is flawless for cleans and crunch, but not really good for higher gain boosting, since it's almost a 100% transparent and the signal gets way too thick easily (I use heavy weight Les Pauls)
the overdrive side is a lot more transparent than tube screamers and the wylde, but a bit too thick, clear and crunchy for my tastes

I have the same MXR overdrive and while I do like the boost side I find the overdrive side to sound a bit odd. Like it has a small amount of 'fuzz' to it's sound where as I want the overdrive to tighten my rhythm tone and more 'oomph' in my tone.

ericsabbath

• Welterweight
    • Colidium
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 05:20:17 AM »
yeah it's a bit hard to dose its knobs, since the gain control works like an amp (cuts off the volume) and the tone control gets too metallic when you pass noon or too muffled before it

works fine, but it's too transparent for an overdrive
I like the extra juice of a traditional sd-1 or ts-9
and their bass cut is essential to get things tight, although the CAE sounds more punchy
Riff Raff, Mules, Black Dog, VHII's, Cold Sweat

ShredHeadJHJ

• Bantamweight
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 05:35:35 AM »
Is it true that Zakk's speakers are 200+ pounds each?

Stevepage

• Featherweight
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 06:25:27 AM »
lol no that's a bit dramatic. But they are very heavy speakers.

Pete24v

• Featherweight
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 12:05:39 PM »
Is it true that Zakk's speakers are 200+ pounds each?

He has his own version of the EV12L, which itself is the best speaker i've ever heard, but dam it's heavy!