Username: Password:

Author Topic: Best Choice For Pop Punk  (Read 2256 times)

JakeWest187

• Strawweight
Best Choice For Pop Punk
« on: April 07, 2012, 06:51:41 AM »
Whatsup guys,

I've been looking into BKP for a long time and I've heard nothing but good things about them,
I'm planning on either getting a set to throw into my Fender Telecaster Blacktop, or Les Paul Standard,
But I'm trying to figure out which set would fit best with my band and gear.
Right now I'm playing through a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster and Orange 4x12 cab.
I've been really wanting a nice crunchy tone that packs a very good punch.
As of right now I have an American Deluxe Telecaster with a Seymour Duncan Little '59 in it and it sounds very good but I want something a little bit heavier.

As for my band, we're Pop Punk, we get heavy sometimes but I really want a nice crunch.
You can take a listen here for example of what we sound like.

http://warped.battleofthebands.com/u/SameOldStoryMesa

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it!

Mr. Air

• Welterweight
  • Brokeback is back
Re: Best Choice For Pop Punk
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 09:00:22 AM »
I have no experience with any BKP tele pickups, but I think you should have a look at the Black Guard 50 set. For your LP i would suggest the Mississippi Queen humbuckersized p90. They will give you a nice crunchy tone and at the same time retain great clarity. With the dual rec I don't think you need to go for anything hotter.

I have done a pop punk recording with the MQs in a semi hollow guitar through amplitubes rectifier model. You can check it out here: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=935247&content=songinfo&songID=7851695

Welcome to the forum.
Mississippi Queens, Stormy Monday/Apaches, Emeralds, Nailbomb (bridge)

JakeWest187

• Strawweight
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 09:53:58 AM »
Thanks for the recommendation man I'll definitely check them out.
If anybody else has any other suggestions let me know!
And also, my tele has 2 humbuckers in it already, I just wanna swap them out for 2 others rather than single coils.
thank you!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 10:01:58 AM by JakeWest187 »

Mr. Air

• Welterweight
  • Brokeback is back
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 10:37:29 AM »
You could go for MQs in the tele as well. If you want something heavier have a look at the stockholms. Another possibility is the alnico nailbomb. It's very aggressive but versatile and might be a good match for the harder stuff you play. All in all I think you'll have a very versatile setup with a MQed tele and a Nailbombed LP (or vice versa).

JakeWest187

• Strawweight
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 10:48:31 AM »
I will definitely look into them, thanks for the help man.
I've heard the Nailbombs are killer!

JakeWest187

• Strawweight
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 11:28:49 AM »
And also, where is the best place to order these bad boys?
A lot of websites have this things listed around $300.
I don't mind paying a lot but I mean, if I can get them cheaper it'd be nice.

itamar101

• Lightweight
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 11:58:21 AM »
You should probably just buy them directly from BKP. It'll mean that you're getting a pickup that was specifically made for you and you'll not only be buying it from an authorized dealer but the actual dealer so you can be certain of good customer service and if something goes wrong you've got warranty. + I think that BKP sell their pickups cheapest on the Internet.

https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/shop/

Mr. Air

• Welterweight
  • Brokeback is back
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 12:15:14 PM »
I assume that you're in the US (as you quote prices in dollars) so buying direct from BKP is going to add some extra cost. You can always try the seconds out forum and hear if anyone has pickups they're willing to part with or you can try your luck on ebay.

I think you can find information about authorized dealers either at the forums or at the BKP main site.

Kiichi

• Welterweight
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 01:20:51 PM »
I would think that the MQ is very good option, but instead of the Nailbomb rather look at the Rebell Yell.
I really like my RY bridge for Pop Punk stuff. Its very, very rock and roll, lively and agressive. Loads of harmonic content.
Very able to do heavier stuff too. Also itīs tendency to be bright would suit pop punk better.
If I recall correctly the NB is somewhat like a overwound RY.

So MQ or RY I say. If you can deal with the P90s hum get the MQ. They are godly good and so very alive. I have 4 BKP humbucker now and recently a MQ neck. Going from stock PUs to BKPs is a total wow moment 95% of the time. For me going from BKP humbuckers to the MQ neck was another one.
There is so much live and clarity in there it is insane. Best I way I found to describe it is that it just picks the strings up more direct than anything else. By far my favourite BKP so far and I do very much love my others.
BKPs in use: 10th set / RY set / Holy Diver b, Emerald n / Crawler bridge, Slowhand mid MQ neck/ Manhattan n
On the sidelines: Stockholm b / Suppermassive n, Mule n, AM set, IT mid

Telerocker

• Middleweight
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 03:08:25 PM »
I would look at the VHII and (maybe) the Abraxas too. Well balanced and capable of doing lots of styles. The VHII is quite punchy, at least in my ash Fender American Series. It has a wicked solotone too.
Mules, VHII, Crawler, MM's, IT's, BG50's.

JakeWest187

• Strawweight
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 10:06:28 PM »
I've never had any P90's in any guitar before.
I'm running through a Dual Rectifier so I'd assume there would be more than enough
gain and an awesome crunch.
I will look into all of these pickups.

monkey8911

• Flyweight
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 01:33:50 PM »
P90 with Rectifiers arenīt the best thing IMO.
If you have a recto, I would rather check out the A-Bomb, The Rebel Yell (similar to Abomb but wonīt get muddy) Riff Raff, Holydiver.
I love my RY, plays great with every amp, and I can get everything from Green Day, Blink182 (even the cleans of Stay together for the kids) to Offspring.

P90 work best with Marshalls (or any 12ax7-el34 valve amp)

Gibson 1964

• Junior Flyweight
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 08:20:49 AM »
I used to have a rectifier, and while I don't play pop-punk...

I would actually tend to lean towards riff raffs. I know, low output is not where most people go, but they are very dynamic, and would sound great. With the rectifier sound, having a bit more high end in the pickup might not be a bad thing.

Caveat: I have not played rebel yells, but they also sound like they might be a good choice. I own a-bombs and they might have a bit much low mids for use with a rectifier at least IMO. It has more possibility for mud with that combination in my opinion.
Miracle Man, Abraxas, A-Bomb, Riff Raff, Emerald, Aftermath, Holy Diver, Cold Sweat, Piledriver

monkey8911

• Flyweight
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 11:51:49 AM »
I have used both the RR and the RY, (still use the RY) and they are quite close in terms of punch.
I think the RY is a tad more versatile if you have a good vol pot.

JohnZAH

• Junior Flyweight
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 03:52:50 AM »
hey man, I play in a pop-punk/ pop-rock band called Shut Up and Deal and I use the nail bomb in several guitars and I also have an american tele with a little 59 (which is awesome). The nail bomb is the best humbucker that I've ever used and I don't think you'll be disappointed at all.

I also play through an Orange rockerverb 50 and an Orange 4x12
---------------------------
John/ Shut Up & Deal