Username: Password:

Author Topic: Blackhawk Review  (Read 9089 times)

WeAreNotGentlemen

• Bantamweight
Blackhawk Review
« on: July 31, 2012, 07:22:32 PM »
I'd like to start by saying this is my experience with the Blackhawks after a whole month+2 days of use.

Rig- Schecter C-1 Artist III->Way Huge Green Rhino->Biyang 7 Band EQ->Blackstar HT20 Head->Avatar 2x12 with one V30 and one G12H30 or POD Farm

Bridge- Sound: The first word that comes to mind is thick. The Blackhawk is so thick my bass is usually at noon of less. (with high gain sounds, but it) It really has way more bass than I ever would have expected. The EQ chart is way off. It has a really crushing and aggressive type of sound when you want it too, perfect for really low tunings. (that I never use anymore go figure) I drop my low E to a B like Tremonti and it's not any less articulate than before. Big chords are incredibly clear and full. Every part of your playing is right there in your face and present. The EQ seemed to be based in near the lower end (150-250) and single notes to have some real weight to them. It also seems peaked in the upper mids. (1400-1800) I've gotten gain tones like: Periphery, Alter Bridge, Ted Nugent, Led Zeppelin, Meshuggah, Kansas, Red Seas Fire, heavier Animals as Leaders, and more if you ask haha. The clean tones can be really nice too but harsh if you don't roll your tone down.

Output: This has brought some questions considering the DC resistance. I can tell you it has very similar output to my old JB. Certainly never overpowering and it can do cleans. I recommend a pedal if you're doing anything real heavy just for that oomph.

Overall: I'm really happy with my purchase and I don't think I could have picked a bridge better for my needs. The Alnico V bridge would be better for people who roll off the volume a lot though. The ceramic can do it and it loses the aggression, but can get spanky. Oh, and I wouldn't compare it to an EMG at all. Sounds completely different than  an EMG through my amp. If you have any more bridge questions just ask, as I feel I didn't cover enough ground to do it justice.

Neck/Middle- Sound: My first impression was not a very favorable one, but it quickly grew on me, and now I use it as much as the bridge. It's real home seems to be in a very unexpected place, which is jazz. A split neck tone is perfect for a mellow jazz tone. The notes are really fat, but really articulate though, and you can hear everything you play. I'd say it's a little dark, but it is a neck pickup, and that can be easily fixed. It can also do great Black Sabbath and Pink Floyd tones. It also does a nice overdriven single coil tone, and handles a lot of gain fairly well. I'll also go over the middle position here. It sounds like a Strat clean! Really snappy and does funk tones well. My favorite part is playing RHCP in the middle position. Also it's a lot less dark than the neck and handles gain even better. I get gain tones like: Black Sabbath, Mars Volta, lighter Animals as Leaders, Steve Vai, and RHCP between the neck and middle. I get clean tones like Animals as Leaders, RHCP, TRAM, Periphery, any jazzer, but not really super vintage tones so if that's what you're after sorry.

Overall: The neck and middle are extremely versatile along with the bridge and there is no tone from the 70's on I can't get. I will say everything seems pretty modern though. I'm absolutely in love with playing guitar at any time now.

Any questions can be asked I'll be happy to answer them. Sorry if I seemed incoherent or contradictory in the post.

Kenose

• Junior Flyweight
Re: Blackhawk Review
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 09:58:31 PM »
Thanks for the review. Interesting to read that you don't feel the EMG comparisons are apt; in which case, where do you think this falls in the BKP catalogue, i.e. what characteristics separate it from the other pickups? This is mainly in reference to the bridge.

WeAreNotGentlemen

• Bantamweight
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 11:37:00 PM »
Well the reason I think it was compared to the EMG was that it handles low tunings so well and that it's transparent. I'd say they're a great replacement for EMG's but it's a whole world different. You can actually feel what you're playing and it's not scooped at all. I don't own any other BKP pickups but I'd say Its probably like an Aftermath and Cold Sweat hybrid. Really punchy and aggressive like both with mids slightly lower than the Aftermath and a high end like the Cold Sweat. It's less dry than the Aftermath, and doesn't "djent" very easily. Also I didn't mention it but it's the clearest pickup I've ever heard.

Contrition.Josh

• Junior Flyweight
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 12:34:50 PM »
Hey, nice review! i just wanted to ask.. My main concern about getting the blackhawks is that i heard that they are quite high output, and i have a JVM 410H, which is a noisy amp when you go All-Metal on it..  should i be concerned with unwanted feedback or anything like that?

TheyCallMeVolume

• Welterweight
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 02:51:44 PM »
Glad you like em! I had a few question.

Since you say these pickups are very clear, do you think that would make them great lead pups, or would the bass in them keep it from cutting through?

Would these work well in a Gibson V?

WeAreNotGentlemen

• Bantamweight
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 02:53:58 PM »
Hey, nice review! i just wanted to ask.. My main concern about getting the blackhawks is that i heard that they are quite high output, and i have a JVM 410H, which is a noisy amp when you go All-Metal on it..  should i be concerned with unwanted feedback or anything like that?

You would probably want to pick up a noise gate if you use a lot of gain. I use my gain knob from 9-11 o clock and then use my green rhino for anymore i may want. I have no problems at medium volumes that way.

WeAreNotGentlemen

• Bantamweight
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 02:56:23 PM »
Glad you like em! I had a few question.

Since you say these pickups are very clear, do you think that would make them great lead pups, or would the bass in them keep it from cutting through?

Would these work well in a Gibson V?

I really like the neck for leads. It's really rounded but cuts through quite nicely. If you like a sharper lead sound the bridge will do. I can't imagine the bass would get in the way of clarity for either, unless you use what I would consider a silly amount of bass on your amp haha.

Also I can't really say about the V... I can imagine it would sound pretty good though they're all mahogany right?

TheyCallMeVolume

• Welterweight
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 03:04:05 PM »
The amp in question is a SLP clone, so it's got more mids and treble than one can handle! And yeah, the V is all mahogany. Was thinking about HD's in there, but the Blackhawk has been very intriguing.

WeAreNotGentlemen

• Bantamweight
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 03:36:26 PM »
I'd say that mid-wise the Holy Diver and Blackhawks are pretty similar from what's been described, with the Blackhawks being more aggressive and lower based, and the HD less aggressive and more center focused. I could be wrong I don't have HD's.