Username: Password:

Author Topic: Abraxas in PRS Custom 22?  (Read 372 times)

callan

• Strawweight
    • Shake Ya Tree
Abraxas in PRS Custom 22?
« on: August 23, 2019, 06:53:16 AM »
Has anybody here put an Abraxas pair into a custom 22?
I have just ordered a pair and interested if anybody else has done the same?

How did you go with split pickups?
did you use any of the existing in-between switching combinations (like Bridge Single + Neck Hum etc.)?
Did they stay in the guitar, or get swapped in and then out for something else?

I'm replacing a set of 58/15 that I'm not overly fond of, but they aren't bad by any stretch, I just want something with a bit more meat to it.

Cheers,

Muffler

• Junior Flyweight
Re: Abraxas in PRS Custom 22?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 09:38:00 AM »
I have a PRS SC245 with Abraxas bridge and The Mule neck, and it's my best sounding guitar. I have a custom 22 too, with 57/08 pickups, and tonally they are quite similar guitars, being the custom 22 a bit thinner and stratier, but the greatest difference between the two lies in the pickups.
The PRS are great pickups, but IMO the Abraxas sounds fuller, a bit tighter in the bass response and with a very nice upper mids that makes the guitar cut better in the mix, in contrast with the 57/08 that sounds a bit scooped in that frequencies.

So far the Abraxas is my favourite BKP bridge, and supposedly the neck is a hotter Mule, my favourite neck. My guess is that you're gonna be happy with the result.
Abraxas B- Mule N; Rebel Yell B- Emerald N; Piledriver Set; VHII set

PhilKing

• Welterweight
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 05:10:58 PM »
I put a set into an original single cut.  My ME has VHII's, which I really like.  I took 57/08's out of it because I didn't like the sound (mind you all my PRS's have BK pickups, so I might be a bit biased).
So many pickups, so little time

callan

• Strawweight
    • Shake Ya Tree
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 11:52:42 PM »
I put a set into an original single cut.  My ME has VHII's, which I really like.  I took 57/08's out of it because I didn't like the sound (mind you all my PRS's have BK pickups, so I might be a bit biased).
Thanks Phil, what do you think of them in your SC?

callan

• Strawweight
    • Shake Ya Tree
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 01:40:50 PM »
Repeating myself a bit, but here's what I just posted over on the PRS forum:
Abraxas are in! Happy new pickup day to me! :)
Through my studio monitors it's like somebody has kicked on the loudness button.
Fatter in the low mids - more body if you like - and gone is what I perceived as a somewhat harsh top end.
So far very happy.
My 3 year old is asleep, bring on the weekend so I can really hear how these things sounds!

I should perhaps point out, I'm usually the only guitarist in my band when I'm playing live.
I could see these being a bit dark for a 6-piece band, with multiple guitars, keys, brass, etc. and that's fine too! the ol 58/15's will be waiting if that day ever comes.

Chris Rowberry

• BKP Team
  • BKP
  • Bantamweight
  • --
    • Bare Knuckle Pickups
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 10:54:51 AM »
Hi Callan,

I'm pleased to hear you're happy with your Abraxas and appreciate you putting your feedback onto the forums for everyone to see.

ian.holder

• Strawweight
  • BKPs:
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 07:37:54 AM »
Just dropped Abraxas in my Custom 24 SE, replacing the 85/15s. Feels like the guitar has come alive, so much more dynamic and full sounding, whilst still being a PRS.  Look great too with Nickel covers and burnt chrome screws, the original open bobbins never did it for me.