Username: Password:

Author Topic: BKP equivalent to Suhr SSV neck?  (Read 112 times)

RobAbrams84

• Junior Flyweight
  • BKPs:
BKP equivalent to Suhr SSV neck?
« on: March 25, 2021, 12:43:30 AM »
Does anyone know what the closest Bare Knuckle pickup to a Suhr SSV neck pickup is?  The Suhr SSV neck is pretty much my favorite among the half-dozen or so that I've tried in a Mayones Regius.

I don't know what kind of wire the Suhr uses so the DCR doesn't mean so much, but it's Alnico 5 and the ones I've had all measure very close to 7.35 kOhm.  It feels very much halfway between vintage and modern, it's very throaty, woody, and "soulful" whereas the Holydiver neck, for instance, is more strident and "clinical.". The Holydiver neck has a slight jangle to it, whereas the SSV is more of a classic humbucker sound.  The Emerald or True Grit necks sound fairly different, too.

Edit: I found a post somewhere that says that the SSV uses PE wire (polyethylene), but I don't know the gauge.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 02:54:04 PM by RobAbrams84 »

ericsabbath

• Welterweight
    • Colidium
Re: BKP equivalent to Suhr SSV neck?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 04:32:20 PM »
I'd say Mule, but leaning towards the VHII

(I believe PE stands for plain enamel)
Riff Raff, Mules, Black Dog, VHII's, Cold Sweat

RobAbrams84

• Junior Flyweight
  • BKPs:
Re: BKP equivalent to Suhr SSV neck?
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 09:25:40 PM »
Yeah I was thinking possibly VHII or maybe the Black Dog as low/medium output A5 neck humbuckers.  There's the Riff Raff also, but my impression of that is that it's kind of a lower output Holydiver neck, which is too bright/jangly.  I'm not sure if there's something from the Contemporary range that might be close as well.  Silo neck perhaps?