Username: Password:

Author Topic: My Mules have arrived! Pic and review...  (Read 5320 times)

Twinfan

• Light Heavyweight
My Mules have arrived! Pic and review...
« on: April 13, 2007, 05:16:17 PM »
Finally finished installing my unpotted, uncovered Zebra Mules into my '96 Gibson Les Paul Standard, supplied by Chris at GuitarZone.  I've also fitted a lightweight Gotoh stop bar tailpiece and TonePros locking posts courtesy of Jonathan at Feline guitars, new 500k CTS top spec pots and Hovland MusiCaps.

To quote my wife:  "Wow, that sounds fantastic!"

Yesterday it was bog stock and sounded dull, thick and lifeless.  Today it's bright, zingy, full, rich, sparkly - simply awesome!  

The only slight negative is that I've got an earth-type buzz.  It's fairly slight, and goes away whenever you touch anything metal on the guitar (bridge/strings/pots).  I've double checked all wiring and everything is spot on.  By comparison, my SG with fully potted Riff Raffs is absolutely silent.  I'm assuming it's a consequence of having unpotted pickups and I can live with it given the tones I'm getting!  SimonP had a similar problem and he didn't seem to resolve it either (see this thread: http://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=72382&sid=995a779f4d8b193efd4d0a32ea5bb938).

Shame I'm going out this evening or I'd be playing it all night!  I shall be having curry and beers to celebrate  :D

And now the obligatory pic  ;)

TwilightOdyssey

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 05:18:13 PM »
Wow. Looks killer!

Twinfan

• Light Heavyweight
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 05:22:39 PM »
Cheers Ben!  I prefer plain tops to flames/quilts, and the subtle wood grain with the Zebras really works I think!  They look too busy with a figured top to my eyes.

As the Coke folk say - "I'm lovin' it"

:D

noodleplugerine

• Welterweight
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 05:29:27 PM »
Quote from: Twinfan

Isn't that Macdonalds?

Looks sweet dude, though personally I think that particular sunburst on Les pauls is a bit overdone.
My last FM.
ESP Horizon NTII.
ESP Viper Camo.
ENGL Screamer.

Philly Q

• Light Heavyweight
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 05:49:59 PM »
Ooooh, nice one Dave!

I'm really interested in the lightweight tailpiece - obviously it's hard to tell the effect on the amplified tone as you've changed the pickups and electronics at the same time, but is there a noticeable difference in the acoustic tone and sustain  :?:
BKPs I've Got:  RR, BKP-91, ITs, VHII, CS set, Emeralds
BKPs I Had:  RY+Abraxas, Crawlers, BD+SM

• Featherweight
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 05:53:05 PM »
Looks awesome bro!!!

Now I know what my Standard would look like with Zebras! 8)
BKP: Aged Nickel Mule set

Twinfan

• Light Heavyweight
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 05:54:26 PM »
Quote from: noodleplugerine

Isn't that Macdonalds?

Cack.  Yes it is   :oops:

Twinfan

• Light Heavyweight
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 05:56:39 PM »
Quote from: Philly Q
I'm really interested in the lightweight tailpiece - obviously it's hard to tell the effect on the amplified tone as you've changed the pickups and electronics at the same time, but is there a noticeable difference in the acoustic tone and sustain  :?:

It sustains forever and the acoustic is tone is a bit brighter.  This was always a dark Les Paul and so sustained really well anyway.  It's certainly got a brighter tone after the change, and in a good way!

I forgot to mention that Gibson had fitted 300k volume pots as standard.  Why???  It made the guitar muddy as hell!

38thBeatle

• Middleweight
    • http://www.myspace.com/alteregoukband
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 06:37:08 PM »
Looks very nice indeed and it sounds like the tone has been transformed.
Send three and fourpence we're going to a dance
BKP's: Apache, Country Boy, Slowhands.

Twinfan

• Light Heavyweight
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 06:38:25 PM »
Absolutely Mr38th.  Can't wait to try it though my Angus rig at next rehearsal  ;)

_tom_

• Middleweight
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 06:49:03 PM »
Looks great! If your wife noticed the difference in tone it must've been quite a change :lol: Mules are great, I dont know why anyone would want anything else in a Les Paul!

btw, just saw your Riff Raff'd SG the other day, it looks really good, and has got me gas'ing for an SG now :D

BloodMountain

• Welterweight
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 06:50:32 PM »
looks great....what does unpotting do to the sound?
:twisted: CERAMIC WARPIG - GREATEST HUMBUCKER ON EARTH! :twisted:

Philly Q

• Light Heavyweight
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 06:53:07 PM »
I forgot to mention that Gibson had fitted 300k volume pots as standard.  Why???  It made the guitar muddy as hell!

I didn't realise they were still doing that!   :?

I didn't check the pots on my Gibsons when I changed the pickups, just assumed they were 500K.  I must have a look.  Wonder if that's why I've never found the Riff Raff as bright as some say it is?  I think I'll leave the RY/Abraxas setup as it is, though, regardless of pot values.

Thanks for the info on the tailpiece.  I've just bought a Les Paul and I might consider that mod.
BKPs I've Got:  RR, BKP-91, ITs, VHII, CS set, Emeralds
BKPs I Had:  RY+Abraxas, Crawlers, BD+SM

horsehead

• Welterweight
  • because the horsehead says so...
    • http://www.myspace.com/horseheadgary
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2007, 06:58:52 PM »
Twinfan that looks lovely, I'm looking to do the same thing but potted & with covers. Is the tone as good as everyone says it is & how do the Hovland affect the tone
"Praising Phil X for his enthusiasm seems a bit like praising Hitler for his ambition"

Canadian Steve

• Featherweight
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2007, 07:08:16 PM »
Very, very nice Twin!  I would also go for a plain cherry sunburst as well + the Zebras really match the whole guitar perfectly!  Is the tailpiece an aluminium one + are those type of tuners standard on the Standard?  W-O-W!!! PDT_011
BKPS: Cryogenic Apache set, Mule set, Riff Raff, Stormy Monday.