Username: Password:

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Pickups / Re: Black Dog -- With a little more power?
« Last post by RobAbrams84 on June 18, 2021, 05:34:37 PM »
Greatly appreciate all the pertinent details on these pickups.    I am tempted to just order them all and keep trying them out.    Holy Diver is definitely on that list, True Grit as well and even the Emerald.

I sent you a PM, just fyi.
Pickups / Pickup Advise
« Last post by SFW on June 18, 2021, 03:07:36 AM »
So I have a new guitar that needs some pickups.  The guitar us swamp ash with a burl top.  Maple and walnut set neck construction.  Ebony board.  I'm thinking about the Alnico V Nailbombs.  I was thinking at the alnico version for a fatter bass response.  We tune to Drop C#.  We play hard rock, with a few metal tendencies...lol! 

Pickups / Re: HSP90 vs P90
« Last post by julio77 on June 17, 2021, 09:27:24 PM »
Haha, it eventually turned into a speaker comparison !

Well from what I've read and listened to lately about P90's, I think I'm getting really seduced by the early 50's P90 sound more than the late 50's, early 60's ones.
So for a solidbody guitar, I think the BKP best choice to approach this kind of sound would be the Blue Notes (unpotted or very lightly potted) with a 50's wiring.

What do you think P90 freaks, I know you are there !
Pickups / Re: New pu suggestion for prs cu22
« Last post by ericsabbath on June 17, 2021, 07:32:14 PM »
Abraxas sounds  like a safe move (but personally I'd pick the Emerald instead)
Pickups / New pu suggestion for prs cu22
« Last post by paulmapp8306 on June 17, 2021, 03:51:40 PM »
Had a mule set I for maybe 10 years, but needs change.

Neck is OK if a little bright.  Bridge though, its too spikey and I need more output now.

Not sure if I should change both or just the bridge.

I play a lot of styles, but blues and rock are probably the best description.

It's more about a range of sounds.  My custom strat does clean and lighter blues.  My Tom Anderson has 3 p90s in and covers fat cleans, and blues.

The prs is actually cleaner, brighter, and lower op than the ta, and that's the reason for the change.

Kind of stuck betwpleen emeralds, abraxas and crawlers.  I didn't like the dragon 2s the prs came with, far too middle for me.  I do like the openness of the mules, thete just a bit too spikey/bright (though I do need some attack) and a little low op for my current needs. 
Pickups / Re: Black Dog -- With a little more power?
« Last post by CLund on June 17, 2021, 03:20:25 PM »
Greatly appreciate all the pertinent details on these pickups.    I am tempted to just order them all and keep trying them out.    Holy Diver is definitely on that list, True Grit as well and even the Emerald.   
Pickups / Re: HSP90 vs P90
« Last post by b.gandt on June 17, 2021, 12:36:42 PM »
Ok, so I got to the practice space to test my memory of a Blue Note 90 in a compare/contrast with a Nantuckit.  Result?  Inconclusive.

I think that the fly in the ointment was the  studio's backline cab, a Marshall 900 series 1960 4x12.  It's loaded with Celestion G12T-75s, and I'm used to Greenbacks with this particular amp.  I thought I might be able to mentally compensate for the difference, but I could not. 

I'm used to Greenbacks with all my amps, but the difference between Greenbacks and the 75s was more pronounced with the Trinity 18 (which was the amp used when I had the Blue Notes.).

Of course my memory may have played a part also.  It was about 7 years ago when I last used the Bluenotes.

I did drink beer and play loud guitar, so I still enjoyed my time there!

Pickups / Re: Alnico V Nail bombs - Les Paul - Marshall
« Last post by Neilrocks25 on June 15, 2021, 10:59:16 PM »
Nice!  Not familiar with the Nailbombs, as they do a style heavier than what I play.  Now I know!

You mention the Mules.  I have them in a PRS SE SIngle Cut.  For my style, they are it.  Hard end of classic rock crunch.

So what are the BKPs in the other LP?

Thanks, I am more into lower gain pick ups now but I wanted to try something with higher output in that guitar it just suits it, the other guitar has the bootcamp old guard pickups they are still around 9k but I love them in that guitar they are killer.
Pickups / Re: Alnico V Nail bombs - Les Paul - Marshall
« Last post by b.gandt on June 15, 2021, 09:00:08 PM »
Nice!  Not familiar with the Nailbombs, as they do a style heavier than what I play.  Now I know!

You mention the Mules.  I have them in a PRS SE SIngle Cut.  For my style, they are it.  Hard end of classic rock crunch.

So what are the BKPs in the other LP?
Pickups / Alnico V Nail bombs - Les Paul - Marshall
« Last post by Neilrocks25 on June 14, 2021, 06:03:23 PM »
I hope this is ok to post I made a video of Nail bombs Alnico V's

Not the best playing but you get the idea :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_hifbD7R_c&t=1s
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10