Username: Password:

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Pickups / Re: Squier John5 upgrade
« Last post by ericsabbath on June 09, 2021, 09:11:27 PM »
rebel yell is pretty hot
Pickups / Re: Squier John5 upgrade
« Last post by Dave Sloven on June 09, 2021, 12:52:32 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if a Rebel Yell or Impulse might work.  They are quite similar to one another.  The Impulse neck has a single coil character it that you might like.  I have the Impulse set in a swamp ash / maple type telecaster style guitar and it is working well.  I imagine it would sound even better in a heavier guitar.

Pickups / Squier John5 upgrade
« Last post by Lotower on June 09, 2021, 11:46:06 AM »
Hi everyone,

Apologies in advance for the lame request for hints, hopefully my "sound example" are not too blasphemous  :azn:

I've recently picked up playing again after a long hiatus.
As a "comeback" instrument I wanted to get something of a low-impact budget, and I got myself an old Squier John5 with rosewood fretboard.
Guitar is quite heavy, the weight feels nice though and gives a nice solid feel overall. Very comfortable to play I have to say.

Now that some time has passed and I am warming up to the instrument, I do feel the "lack" of better pickups, which I would love to use to maximise the overall wood and weight.

For the neck, from the clips I've heard I like a lot the Rebel Yell.
For the bridge instead, I'm looking to push a more high-voltage, but defined, distortion. If I had to give a "reference name", I'd say anything that can get me closer to Mick Mars or Alice in Chains-type sound, but I would rather stay clear of any "extreme metal" type distortion. So I am a bit confused if Rebel Yell for the bridge could be enough, or there's another solution that could allow me to also get a bit more options, like a Silo for example.

What do you guys think?
Thanks a lot!
Pickups / Re: pickup rec for a walnut guitar going into a soldano avenger,
« Last post by Dave Sloven on June 09, 2021, 02:02:22 AM »
It sounds like your guitar might be scoopy so an alnico pickup is a good idea.

Besides the two mentioned also look at the alnico Black Hawk.  It has thick low mids and a rolled off top end but is pretty tight.  It works really well in C standard.  Definitely better on leads than the Nailbomb (even the alnico version).  I don't have direct experience of the Black Dog but people say it has some similarities to the alnico NB.
Guitars, Amps and Effects / Re: Pics Of New Gear
« Last post by b.gandt on June 08, 2021, 07:18:30 PM »

American Spirits are good for you, and they actually help attain great tone!
Pickups / Re: HSP90 vs P90
« Last post by b.gandt on June 08, 2021, 07:07:58 PM »
I think that the only way a good compare/contrast can be made regarding the differences between a humbucker size P90 and a normal P90 is if every other factor is the same.  Amp, guitar, and especially the wind.  That is, a MQ or whatever other P90 BKP does in a humbucker size against its normal P90 dimensions counterpart.

If I'm reading you right, you are doing a compare/contrast with a different P90.  Vintage level wind, yes, but a different pickup from a different company.

I think the MQ and Nantucket are based on later 50s models.  Earlier 50s models are different, maybe you're using that as a guide?  I know BKP covers that ealier period with the Manhatten and Blue Note, along with their HSP90 counterparts.

Unfortunately I cannot give an answer that takes into account the factors that I list above, as I've used only standard P90s (soap bar and dog ear).  FWIW, I haven't heard any negative comments regarding HSP90 and standard P90s, but I haven't read much on the subject either.

As to the MQ that you currently have, have you played around with the pickup height, and the height of the individual pole pieces?  If not, try that. 
Pickups / pickup rec for a walnut guitar going into a soldano avenger,
« Last post by Enormous on June 08, 2021, 06:51:58 PM »
Looking to replace the EMG in the bridge position. It seems to really like the high strings at the expense of the lower ones. So If I'm playing, say, an open chord, the B and high E are loud AF, drowning out the lower strings. And when the volume is turned down on the guitar, the sound is sort of flat and characterless.

We tune to C# standard and are about as heavy as Melvins or Mastodon, High on Fire, Crowbar.

I'd like something with plenty of low end chunk but also really clear and articulate as we often play chords beyond root/fifth. And something that won't favor the upper strings over lower strings.

from the samples on the site the Black Dog and Nailbomb sound pretty god to my ears but I wanted to hear your opinions as well
Pickups / Re: Black Dog -- With a little more power?
« Last post by ericsabbath on June 07, 2021, 01:10:13 PM »
true grit (punchier and a little more balanced) or holy diver (more compressed)

both are are quite beefy and have a lot of the black dog dense midrange texture
Pickups / Re: Black Dog -- With a little more power?
« Last post by CLund on June 06, 2021, 04:12:10 PM »
Have not tried the HD yet.   The description sounds like a beefed up Black Dog for sure.  Thanks for the suggestion. 
Pickups / Pick up warranty and low volume problem
« Last post by realguitarshredder on June 06, 2021, 04:08:18 PM »
Hi Guys, I had joined this forum back in 2006 when this was still new and just bought a nailbomb bridhe pickup (the first ones that came out)  from Newcastle UK. I think it was guitar centre or something like that. When I bought it I did see there was a warranty card there. But since I wanted to fit it right away I just gave it to the shop. The next day I got the guitar but they said they threw the box away along with the warranty card. But the owner of that place said "its got lifetime warranty and if you talk to Tim he will sort it out." Didn't know who Tim was at that time. So I thought alright the pickup must have some serial number inside and when they will look at it they will see its bareknuckles and so I don't really need to put any dates in it.  But now that I have read some stuff that you need to register it for lifetime warranty and you needed to register it then. So.. Do I get a lifetime warranty with this? Its working absolutely perfect since 2006 and all my video from www.youtube.com/realguitarshredder are all that pickup since 2007.

The problem: Now that i am back in India and err the place where am at is not really known to have guitar techs around. I gave the guitar to fix a switch and well he did but there was a problem with low output of the bridge pickup but only with the 1st string, the rest sounded fine. Couldn't solve it. And right now as I am trying to record something with the guitar directly connected to the audio interface (no amps) I have noticed that now the overall volume of the bridge pickup is less than the stock ones. I only noticed it while playing it clean so took me sometime to find it out. Is this a pickup problem or a connection problem? Also the fact that the volume is less in the first string errr.. is that normal too? I just havent noticed that in the beginning so i am just trying to see if there is something wrong with my memory or something wrong with the pickup.. I have attached a soundclip. its a 5 way switch, from the bridge to the neck.

sigh yeah I know, long post. Thanks in advance for the replies.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10