Username: Password:

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Pickups / Re: Warmest/darkest sounding BKP?
« Last post by one on May 20, 2021, 07:26:40 AM »
looking for darkness? A-pig among all three
Pickups / Warmest/darkest sounding BKP?
« Last post by Toejam on May 20, 2021, 04:22:54 AM »
Hey, guys. 
  I'm looking for a bridge pickup that's more warm/darker sounding with some treble shaved off a little bit so it's not as bright.  It's for a 1997 PRS CE-24 (bolt-on maple neck/rosewood board, mahogany body/maple top, five-way rotary selector).  Right now, it's got a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates set which I like, but I always seem to prefer warmer pickups in the bridge and brighter in the neck. 
 I'm a real big fan of the DiMarzio Breed, even like Norton and Tone Zone, but I want something different.
    From my looking at the BKP site, it seems perhaps a Silo, Warpig A5 or Juggernaut might fit the bill.  Would anyone recommend one of these or perhaps something else?  Thanks.
Pickups / Re: Les paul new pickups. Help
« Last post by RobAbrams84 on May 19, 2021, 04:58:26 AM »
Mine took some tweaking until I liked them, more than any other pickup for whatever reason.  Now I really like them, and I just ordered another set (nickel covered this time).
Pickups / A special combination (tele + strat)
« Last post by ECWeagles on May 19, 2021, 01:22:14 AM »
Hey everyone!

Long time user - seldom poster but Iíve recently come across what I think is a pretty special combination and thought Iíd share.

For my first tele project I wanted a non twangy tele bridge pickup and Tim recommended Flat 50.

But I also wanted a strat neck because - strat neck, and Tim recommended a motherís milk (which Iíd had before in strats) obviously with the correct polarity.

It was good, but I found the flat 50 a little too fat and full - so Tim recommended Flat 52.

I swapped it out and also added a Freeway switch.

Wow.

This is a genuinely great combination. The two pickups separately are great - the bridge it what I was after - kind of like a single coil Mule.

But paired together in the in between  sounds - this really feels special.

With the Freeway I get parallel and series wiring with both in and out of phase wiring (or Hoop in my case).

Each sound is really different but all are really useable and the two pickups blend together so well.  What I love best is the series in phase.  Itís  a really genuine sounding HB sound. Not too harsh in the highs or too muddy in the lows.  Itís like a HB got put right in the middle of the scratch plate.

I really do have 6 great sounds.

Anyway, thought Iíd share as Iíve been really quite blown away by what  Iíve found with this.

Hope it helps others!
« Last post by Ale84 on May 18, 2021, 04:27:06 PM »
The pickup was set bu the luthier balancing it with the 57 innthe neck. He put it really close to the string. I want to lower it and hear how it sound, it might get even clearer
« Last post by ericsabbath on May 18, 2021, 04:09:33 PM »
Hi guys,
Iíve been playing it during the weekend and at first it sounded strange then it grew on me . Itís a great pickup , with tight bass , clarity and itís really bright with a good push. It might be a lighter version of the rebel yell. Much better than the 57 classic plus i had before. So far Iím satisfied and i think iíll buy the neck pickup too

nice to hear!
did you play with pickup height? it gets really big when set very close to strings (less pushy in the mids but punchier than a rebel yell)
neck model is pretty versatile too
Guitars, Amps and Effects / Re: 2021 Squier Contemporary Telecaster RH
« Last post by Dave Sloven on May 18, 2021, 10:58:52 AM »
Before ordering this guitar I made this mock-up on my computer and asked Tim if BKP could do it ... the answer from Tim was 'yes' ...

I've since found out that it won't be the first white Cobra-T that they have made ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPnXj6RdRzg

« Last post by Ale84 on May 18, 2021, 12:05:19 AM »
Hi guys,
Iíve been playing it during the weekend and at first it sounded strange then it grew on me . Itís a great pickup , with tight bass , clarity and itís really bright with a good push. It might be a lighter version of the rebel yell. Much better than the 57 classic plus i had before. So far Iím satisfied and i think iíll buy the neck pickup too
Pickups / Re: Black Dog Bridge Review in 2021
« Last post by Joshua Jimenez on May 17, 2021, 10:52:58 AM »
The Black Dog bridge is quite possibly my favourite pickup of all time, especially in a Les Paul. I can't stand higher output pickups in Les Pauls, when I sent my BD in for wax potting at BKP I put a Holydiver in it temporarily, and it sounded like a horrible muddy mess... The BD retains everything I love about PAF style pickups while jacking things up a notch or two, I think the EQ graph on the product site is a little inaccurate to be honest. Sure it's got more mids than for example the Riff Raff, but it still sounds very balanced and not much darker in the top end, if at all, than a Riff Raff.

Glad to hear! Indeed; it's got a solid, biting top end that reminds me of Zep's "How the West Was Won." A very firm tone. Not the sweetest but that's the point.

What was the result of the wax-potting, if I may ask? I want to install a nickel cover for aesthetic reasons, but also because I think it will smoothen and round out the sound--thereby making it closer to the OG in the neck.
Pickups / HSP90 vs P90
« Last post by julio77 on May 16, 2021, 06:37:03 PM »
Hello,

From what I've read here and also experienced myself HSP90s (humbucker sized P90s) are great pickups but sounds a little bit different to real P90 pickups due to the modification of the bobbin shape.
I own a bridge Mississippi Queen which I love but it sounds more fattey and is hotter than a 50's specs P90, it lacks some midrange cut and woodyness.

So, would some of you have some advice or tips (polescrew/pickup height, caps, wiring, potted/unpotted...) on how to make a HSP90 sound closer to a real vintage P90 ?

Thanks !
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]