Username: Password:

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Pickups / Which pickup should I go for, Crawler, Nailbomb, Aftermath?
« Last post by Starfighter on March 15, 2024, 09:25:58 PM »
Im about to build a superstrat with swamp ash body / Floyd Rose. I want a hot pickup, some aggression while retaining good harmonics. The kind where sustained notes bleed into a harmonic feedback, you know what I mean. A fine reference point is Accept 80s sound, ballsy, melodic, crunchy and no offensive mids/highs or booming lows. Wolf Hoffmann used EMG81 back then, but I already have a superstrat with EMGs.

My nr1 guitar has VHII which is awesome and I love it but it doesn't do high gain fast riffs. Becomes mushy and no obvious note separation. Dont have this problem with my EMG or SH5 loaded superstrats.

My research has narrowed me down to: ceramic Nailbomb, Crawler, Aftermath. The Crawler clips have super PAF voicing that has a special place in my heart, but I wonder if this pickup is too tame for heavy oldschool riffing and crunchy big chords. Crawlers technical specs at a quick glance seem to be quite powerful. Nailbomb seems to be the logical choice here as that one is told be exactly the type of oldschool / modern sound Im after and it definetly has the required power. Aftermath is an all modern pickup, but the sound clips are pretty good, it might just be the thing.

Pickup must be somewhat versatile as I want to play singing harmonic leads along with ballsy crunchy riffs.

Any help here will be appreciated.
Tech / Re: Can't find the right wiring for my new set of BKP
« Last post by timmy_b on March 15, 2024, 11:43:10 AM »
Did you get fixed up with this? (I hope so!)

If not, please email sales@bareknucklepickups.co.uk and we can certainly get you a diagram or instructions for this
Pickups / Re: Steve Stevens Severn XF humbuckers
« Last post by timmy_b on March 15, 2024, 11:36:27 AM »
The custom wound Knaggs humbuckers with 2 rows of screws are an adaptation based on the Holydiver, so that's definitely the closest reference point - between that and the Silo.
Pickups / Re: Good Left-handed Volume pots for bare knuckle nailbombs.
« Last post by timmy_b on March 15, 2024, 11:33:20 AM »
If your pots will not go all the way to true zero, I would suggest checking the ground connections throughout the guitar. Volume pots rely on a secure ground connection to be able to fully kill the signal.
Pickups / Re: Advice for first time 7-string owner
« Last post by timmy_b on March 15, 2024, 11:31:49 AM »
I'm sorry that you didn't get a reply to this. If you didn't already, feel free to drop us a line at sales@bareknucklepickups.co.uk for any guidance that you need through our range.

I wouldn't personally worry about the body wood being an overbearing factor; certainly every part of the guitar has its part to play in the tone, but the body wood is going to have far less impact when compared to the scale length, for example and your 27" guitar should be plenty bright a zingy! I would definitely lean towards the fuller tone of the Ragnarok in that guitar vs the more notched character of the Juggernaut
Pickups / Re: Mule vs Riff Raff vs Black Dog neck humbuckers?
« Last post by RobAbrams84 on March 13, 2024, 05:39:51 PM »
Thanks, I'm probably going to try the Black Dog neck then, if it's lower output and brighter than the VHII.  I don't think that I need to go all the way down to the Riff Raff, though that might work for me as well.
« Last post by darkbluemurder on March 11, 2024, 06:12:31 PM »
I have used some of them. Here is my impression:

- VHII neck vs. Black Dog neck: Black Dog is lower output and brighter and has none of that smoky character that the VHII neck has.
- Black Dog neck vs. Riff Raff neck: Black Dog is not warmer - it is a bit clearer but not much.

Lower output A5 PAF would be Riff Raff neck. Everything else has different magnets or different wire.

Cheers Stephan
Pickups / Re: New gear day, Fralin Hum Cancelling P90.
« Last post by darkbluemurder on March 11, 2024, 06:08:08 PM »
Do you have the regular P90 or the Alnico P90? The Alnico P90 (the one with the alnico rods) is particularly nice.
Pickups / Re: Which bridge humbucker has the most lows?
« Last post by RobAbrams84 on March 07, 2024, 06:14:29 AM »
I ended up with a Suhr DSH+ here and I'm very happy with it, thanks.
« Last post by RobAbrams84 on March 07, 2024, 06:13:50 AM »
I still wish someone could compare these neck pickups, especially the Black Dog.  Is it less output with more highs than a VHII?  Warmer than a Riff Raff?  If so I think it'd be perfect for me, but I'm afraid it might be too close to the VHII which I didn't like much, or like a Holydiver which was not very PAF-like.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10