Username: Password:

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Dressing Room / European scene
« Last post by FernandoDuarte on May 19, 2022, 07:06:26 PM »
Hello guys! Long time no see!

I'm planning again to go live in Europe in the next couple years and I've some doubt. In my free time I build guitars and I'm trying to really learn to play the guitar after long time...
I'm thinking in Spain or France, since England left EU (I've got portuguese card).
My main doubt is about possibilities in guitar build and playing in thrash metal bands or things like this. Heard Portugal is really bad, Spain is okaish, not sure on France...
I'm open to suggestions of places too, at this moment I've nothing settled
Cheers
Pickups / Re: Fakes?
« Last post by Chris Rowberry on May 18, 2022, 02:07:20 PM »
Hi,

As mentioned, please do send in some pictures of the pickups to Chris@bareknucklepickups.co.uk along with a multimetre reading as this will help a lot.
« Last post by timmy_pix on May 18, 2022, 11:00:48 AM »
That someone would swap a BKP backplate onto another pickup is extremely unlikely - that would involve dismantling a genuine BKP, which would be pointless, for no apparent gain.

Two factors are at play here.

Firstly, your expectations - while the voice of the Miracle Man is not dissimilar to a scooped EMG, they will still feel very different. High output for BKP is still not going to be as high output or compressed as an EMG, as EMGs are in effect a weak pickup with a strong pre-amp attached.

Secondly, it sounds like you don't have a set of Miracle Man (Miracle Men?). BKP don't label their pickups, so unless you buy them new, you have no certain way of knowing what pickup you've got. Someone could have been mistaken previously or mis-sold them and passed that information to you, but what you're describing doesn't sound like the MMs. It also means you have no way of proving to the seller you got them from that they're *not* Miracle Men, so you're probably best selling them on as unknown BKPs with as much information as you can gather.

If you have a multimeter, take readings of the DC resistance and see if they're close to any of the stated figures on the website, as that might help narrow it down. Similarly, if you can take pictures and send them to the BKP team, sometimes the height or thickness of the coil can be the clue they need to identify them for you.
Pickups / Re: Mule Bridge in Les Paul Too Bright
« Last post by timmy_pix on May 18, 2022, 10:52:19 AM »
I can't speak for the Crawler, but the Black Dog isn't nasal at all. Fuller in the mids, but by no means c--ked wah or anything - the upper mids aren't dissimilar to the Mule, but there's more low-mid weight too. Great versatile pickup that can be very aggressive when asked, but also very polite when you back off. The A5 translates to a more immediate attack and firmer bass than the Mule, which has a pleasant crunchiness/compression to the attack due to the A4.
« Last post by darrenw5094 on May 17, 2022, 01:14:30 PM »
Could be something other than miracle man bkp as the don't label them
Pickups / Fakes?
« Last post by adamrhowe1998 on May 17, 2022, 10:48:34 AM »
I bought a set of miracle man pickups second-hand on reverb and installed them. However they dont sound at all like I expected. I thought they were supposed to be high output, bright and tight but these are bassy, fizzy, medium output and flabby.

I was using some cheap 80s Select by EMG pickups in the same guitar previously and, with the same amp settings, had a noticable drop in output once I changed to the BKP. and palm muting sounds fizzy.
Or am I just imagining this? I heard they are supposed to be very similar to EMG 81 but Ive never used one so cant compare. Do they come in alnico and ceramic options? Perhaps these are alnico?

They do have the bareknuckle backplate and the vintage-style braided wire as expected though. How feasible is it that someone has just bought some cheapo pickups and then swapped the back plate over?

Guitar is an all mahogany 80s Washburn if that matters.

Thanks
Pickups / Re: Which Bareknuckle Bridge Pickup for this guitar?
« Last post by b.gandt on May 12, 2022, 06:58:18 PM »
+1 on reading your thoughts on the new pickup.
Pickups / Re: BKP True grit single coil Stratocaster set
« Last post by b.gandt on May 12, 2022, 06:49:41 PM »
Nice demos, thanks.  My style is different, but that gives me the idea that a set of True Grit Strat pickup might work for me. I generally am not happy with lower output Strat pickups, even good ones from small winders.

Right now I have a single H config in my Strat.  I have a Crawler in that single H slot, and I'm quite pleased, but if I go back to SSS, I will be looking at the True Grits!

I've used the HSS to good effect in the past.
Pickups / Re: Mule Bridge in Les Paul Too Bright
« Last post by b.gandt on May 12, 2022, 06:36:33 PM »
Johnnytopshot, the Crawler is not spikey at all, has a fairly rounded top, but not dull at all.  I use one in a single Humbucker Basswood MIJ Strat.  How that translates to ypur Epi, I don't know.  It is higher output, though.  Despite the high output, it doesn't sound like a metal pickup.  But, if you want vintage or Vintage hot output, it may not be for you.

What style of music are you playing?
Pickups / Re: Which Bareknuckle Bridge Pickup for this guitar?
« Last post by timmy_pix on May 12, 2022, 09:19:33 AM »
Great stuff! I'd be interested to read your thoughts compared to the Holydiver once you've got it in.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10