Username: Password:

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Pickups / Single Pickup for bc rich gunslinger
« Last post by Atdeathsdoor87 on December 04, 2021, 06:23:46 PM »
Got me a new bc rich outlaw pretty much an import gunslinger, need a perfect pickup for black/death metal would a warpig ceramic do it justice? I'm a big dimarzio x2n fan, wonder what the difference would be.
Pickups / Re: Recommendations for a Jackson RR1
« Last post by Dave Sloven on December 04, 2021, 12:27:34 AM »
The Black Hawk set is ideal for those styles

Whether you should order the alnico or ceramic magnet option depends on the acoustic qualities of your instrument.  If it is a hit honky or dark get the ceramic.  If not, get the alnico.  The alnico version is a really sweet pickup for lead work (as is the neck pickup).  It feels similar in some ways to an EMG but the Black Hawks have a very different character tonally.

You can download our album to check it out (free download).  The whole album was recorded with a pair of Schecter super strats with alnico Black Hawk sets.  The leads and right rhythm were done on a C-1 Blackjack ATX (mahogany neck and body, set-neck, ebony fretboard) and the left rhythm was done on a Stiletto 6-FR (mahogany body, bolt-on maple neck, rosewood fretboard).  Tuning is C standard but I have used this set in EADGBE as well and it's really nice.

https://slovendoom.bandcamp.com/album/drowning 
Pickups / Recommendations for a Jackson RR1
« Last post by Jonsick on December 03, 2021, 03:00:04 PM »
I have a Jackson RR1 I am rebuilding. I am primarily an EMG user but not necessarily looking for an EMG clone. I don't mind something different totally.

I'm using a Peavey 6505+ amplifier through a Marshall 1960A/BV stack.

Standard tuning black metal, looking for tones like live Dissection, Uada, old In Flames, etc. Essentially smooth tones ideal for that cross over black metal melodic death style.

I don't mind going away from the EMG sound. I can't really say what the guitar is like as the wiring is damaged. I bought the RR1 a year ago and for a 2015 it's been harshly treated. I've just replaced the Floyd Rose bridge and was intending to install a set of EMGs but I just fancy a change on this one. So I figure before I set to replacing the electronics, may as well decide what I want to use.
Pickups / Solar Fanned Fret pickup replacement?
« Last post by Joepalmer17 on December 01, 2021, 03:28:27 PM »
Has anyone replaced the stock pickups in a Solar 7-string fanned fret? Thoughts on if they will fit and if so what are good replacement choices for tight and articulate metal?

https://www.solar-guitars.com/product/a1-7dbop-ff/

Thanks!
Tech / Re: HSS wiring
« Last post by Dave Sloven on November 29, 2021, 07:15:24 AM »
You could probably ask BKP customer service
« Last post by alcyppa on November 28, 2021, 02:56:09 PM »
What do you have in the bridge position?  I'm guessing the issue is the polarity of the bridge pickup not matching

The bridge pickup is the original strandberg pickup that came with the guitar.

For now the guitar seems to work properly but I don't know if the way that I've used to reverse the phase of the bridge PU is right.
« Last post by Dave Sloven on November 28, 2021, 02:42:55 PM »
What do you have in the bridge position?  I'm guessing the issue is the polarity of the bridge pickup not matching
Tech / HSS wiring
« Last post by alcyppa on November 28, 2021, 11:34:21 AM »
Hi guys I'm new here and seeking for help.

I swapped the neck and middle single coil of my Strandberg Boden Classic 6 with two True Grit single coils (I've attached the schematics).
Firstly I just swapped neck with neck and middle with middle but position 2 sounded like out of phase.

After a little bit of trial and error I tried to follow the advice on the Bare Knuckle Wiring diagram for HSS boot camp pickups and I swapped middle and neck pickup.
But position 2 seemed not to be hum cancelling so I ended up rewiring the bridge humbucker swapping black with white and green with red.

What I ended up with seems to work but I don't know if I actually did something funky (as I know barely anything about wiring pickups) so I'm asking you guys if you could check it for me.
I've attached the original wiring diagram and my modifications to it to this post.

Thanks in advance,
Samuele
Pickups / Re: PRS Custom 24 with P90s
« Last post by optilude on November 27, 2021, 08:20:56 PM »
Hi,

That’s super useful, thank you!

I am almost certainly more Blue Note, from your description. I want P90s for the vintage blues tones, not punk rock LP Special sounds.

I was also looking at the Montys ‘54 P90 (in humbucker size) which I think is in the same, more vintage ballpark.

The PRS currently has Bare Knuckle Abraxas in it. But I’ve got a Les Paul coming that will get some PAF style pickups put in it. I’ve wanted a P90 guitar for a while (I’ve also got a Japanese Strat with Radioshop Chris Buck pickups and a ‘78 Telecaster Custom with the original pickups) and I suspect I’ll be leaning on the Les Paul for humbucker sounds, giving the PRS less of a reason for existing. I also had to make a “no more guitars” pledge (for now…) to get conjugal approval for the Les Paul. Which led me to the idea of pitting P90’s into the PRS.

Interesting about the Noventa, by the way. I was quite intrigued by that series!
Pickups / Re: PRS Custom 24 with P90s
« Last post by AndyR on November 27, 2021, 08:05:21 PM »
It depends what you're after, and how well you know P90s and what you're expecting from them?

I've got the original Mississippi Queens from some years ago. They moved through quite a few guitars and are now in Tokai Love Rock that I don't use very much.

It was my first experience of "P90" and I couldn't quite get to grips with how to use them.

Years later, I have quite a few guitars with P90s in. These are all routed for P90 (I probably wouldn't go HSP90 again myself - but never say never!)

Anyway, the ones where I've installed BKPs, I've used Blue Notes exclusively.

I found those are a lot closer to the "P90" vibe in my head.

I have a few Gibsons that I'm not going to change their pickups out - they're very close to the Blue Note, so I don't feel the need to change them.

My latest P90 guitar is a Fender Noventa Strat. I love the guitar, and the concept, but I've been struggling with the pickups.

And then I realised what it was ... I got the Love Rock out, and yes - the Noventa pickups are more in the Mississippi Queen ballpark - more snarly, and like Leslie West's tone in Mountain (duh!!)

SO, based on that, I'd say:

I prefer a smoother and rounder P90 tone - Blue Notes.
If you want the "snarly" type - Mississippi Queens.

I find you can get both to go in the direction of the other, but through the same amp set up, that's the difference I find between them.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10