Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Guitars, Amps and Effects / Re: Quilter Aviator Cub
« Last post by AndyR on November 22, 2021, 09:34:04 AM »
Actually, just watched another vid that seems to show it does
Guitars, Amps and Effects / Re: Quilter Aviator Cub
« Last post by AndyR on November 22, 2021, 09:07:34 AM »
Nice!
I've been following Quilter for a while.
Just been watching a video - very cool sounds.

I couldn't tell, has the line out got some sort of speaker emulation on it?
Pickups / Re: Boot Camp True Grit humbuckers: anyone tried them?
« Last post by andrewt on November 22, 2021, 07:49:42 AM »
The guitar it is in is a Telecaster Deluxe partscaster. It has a Warmoth ash body, a Fender MIM roasted maple neck with pau ferro board, 25 1/2 scale, a Callaham hardtail bridge with 3 compensated brass telecaster saddles. 500k audio volume and tone pots. Tone pot is a push-pull that allows me to use the coils in parallel instead of in series.

The low end is punchy but not huge (which I like), and the top end is smooth but since I did not try it in any other guitar I don't know how much exactly the guitar is contributing to the tone. Since I had various pickups in that guitar I know that it has quite a bit of low mids and soft highs. The only pickup that made the guitar sound more aggressive was the DiMarzio Norton - to the point of being too aggressive.

Cheers Stephan

Thanks for that info and description Stephan. That helps me.

from both sound and spec, I'd say it's kinda somewhere between the holy diver and the black dog, but more balanced than both, and yes, could be compared to a 498t or custom 5, but actually pretty good sounding (not a fan of the 498t, and duncan customs are too compressed for me)
it has a chunkier but tighter low end response than the holy diver, but less compression and a bit less pronounced mids
I wouldn't compare it to any kind of PAF
it's a hot rod medium-high output humbucker, but not a hot PAF
I mean... it sounds more like Jerry Cantrell than like Page or something
it delivers a big crunchy tone with lots of sustain, but not as smooth and compressed as a holy diver, not as open, middy, bright and tight as the rebel yell
it's more balanced through frequencies than the mentioned models, although I prefer the extreme mids of the others

the neck pup is quite different, though... more of a dimarzio type voicing than gibson, maybe(?), but also pretty balanced and not really PAFey nor ultra modern

Thanks for that description. It’s really helpful.

I’m between this set and the Polymaths. Not many video reviews of either set and not any playing through guitars or amps that I am familiar with to get a solid idea of where each set sits tonally compared to other pickups.
Guitars, Amps and Effects / Quilter Aviator Cub
« Last post by richard on November 21, 2021, 01:44:56 PM »
Mine arrived yesterday and I spent all day playing it. Great little amp. Beautiful cleans or turn the gain up and it sounds like a cranked Fender. This and a clean booster would see me through a gig very happily. 
I have an Agile Intrepid Pro 72527 mahogany 7-string (https://www.rondomusic.com/Agile_Intrepid_Pro_72527_EB_CP_Charcoal.html) w/ BKP Cold Sweats in the neck & bridge that I want to replace. I play thru an EVH 5150 III 50w 6L6 amp into a Marshall JCM 900 Lead 1960 4x12" (basically a Marshall 1960A w/o the rebranding) w/ the stock Celestion G12T-75 speakers. Apart from occasionally boosting the blue crunch channel w/ a Boss FZ-2 I don't use pedals to affect my tone.

I want to replace my Cold Sweats because so far I have been completely dissatisfied with them. I don't have a very detailed description of my tastes, but in broad strokes I'm a huge Buckethead fan who's big into the kind of instrumental rock/metal/shred he exemplifies. As such, my main axe is his signature Les Paul (love it, wanna be buried with it) which has 496R (neck) & 500T (bridge) ceramic humbuckers. I like high output pup's that don't require me to pick especially hard with to get an aggressive sound, while still having nice and clear, articulate cleans without having to roll back on the volume or coil split them. The Buckethead Signature LP covers this nicely for me: even on the 5150's blue crunch channel w/ the gain set around 1:00 I feel I have enough output for my tastes without having to switch to the even higher gain red lead channel, and on the green clean channel the cleans are more than sufficient for me: I can coil split for a jangly, strat-kinda sound, but it 's a neat, optional extra for me rather than a requirement for my clean tone.

I was basically hoping the Cold Sweats could replicate the tone of my Buckethead sig in a 7-string format, but to me they've completely disappointed: whether standard or coil-split, the cleans are always dull-sounding, even honky at times. And I find I'm required to either use a boost pedal, or use the red lead channel of my amp, if I want anywhere close to enough output to shred, as the pickups simply don't put out enough output otherwise for my liking. I've heard it said in at least one review on these forums that this is a general trait of BKP pickups where the perception of them having lower output is a side-effect of their clarity: whether this is true I don't know, but it makes me worry if bare knuckle might not be the right choice for me.

Ultimately, I want to replace them. My initial choice was the Fishman Fluence Abasi signature set: from what I'm hearing in demos they sound like they've got the nice sparkly cleans, and perhaps the kind of high gain tone I like but can't explain sufficiently (although I'm not into djent, I can't find any non-djent demos for these pup's online to my satisfaction, so I'd be taking a bit of a gamble). considering however that I'll need to either rout out my guitar's cavity to accommodate them better, or get a separate guitar more suited to active pickups (was looking at this: https://www.rondomusic.com/Agile_Geodesic_Pro_82528_EB_MOD_SS_White.html), I'm expanding my search and looking back at passive pickups.

And so, I've narrowed my choices down to the Juggernauts and Silos. From what I can gather, they're both high output pickups with good clean tones, but the Juggs have higher output, while the Silos have better cleans. How significant these differences are, I have no idea, but I'm hoping someone can lend some insight into their experiences with these pickups, how they might compare to each other &/or the Abasis, and whether they might suit my needs, or suggest an alternative choice. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Pickups / Re: Boot Camp True Grit humbuckers: anyone tried them?
« Last post by ericsabbath on November 19, 2021, 04:47:57 PM »
from both sound and spec, I'd say it's kinda somewhere between the holy diver and the black dog, but more balanced than both, and yes, could be compared to a 498t or custom 5, but actually pretty good sounding (not a fan of the 498t, and duncan customs are too compressed for me)
it has a chunkier but tighter low end response than the holy diver, but less compression and a bit less pronounced mids
I wouldn't compare it to any kind of PAF
it's a hot rod medium-high output humbucker, but not a hot PAF
I mean... it sounds more like Jerry Cantrell than like Page or something
it delivers a big crunchy tone with lots of sustain, but not as smooth and compressed as a holy diver, not as open, middy, bright and tight as the rebel yell
it's more balanced through frequencies than the mentioned models, although I prefer the extreme mids of the others

the neck pup is quite different, though... more of a dimarzio type voicing than gibson, maybe(?), but also pretty balanced and not really PAFey nor ultra modern
Pickups / Re: Help identifying humbucker pickups
« Last post by ericsabbath on November 19, 2021, 04:45:34 PM »
You're most welcome!

That's a fairly old set, too. We changed the black coating years ago, as well as slightly altering the battleworn finish, we don't usually put the all-over dinks into them any more. I can actually recognise exactly who made those covers, he's not with BKP anymore, but was responsible for a huge number of the early custom covers!

it's pretty cool that you can tell who made the covers!  :shocked:

what would dismiss the aftermath besides the finish old age? (without dc measuring)
Pickups / Re: New Pickups for 2007 PRS SC245
« Last post by Dave Sloven on November 19, 2021, 09:12:43 AM »
Very pleased to hear that it worked out!
Pickups / Re: New Pickups for 2007 PRS SC245
« Last post by tolm on November 19, 2021, 08:27:47 AM »
Yes, yes, yes!!!  New pickups arrived yesterday: Emerald bridge, Riff Raff neck, both in raw nickel finish with aged screws.

Firstly, the raw finish has the perfect look: not too new and shiny but not so aged as to mismatch with the other hardware on the guitar. They actually look a little bit matte - kinda halfway to the brushed look which some PRS guitars have by default but not so full-on as to look “fancy” … aged brushed?  Could that be a thing?  I dunno … anyway, they look great. 😂

More importantly … they SOUND amazing. And they’ve done exactly what I wanted them to for this guitar.

The neck pickup has a clarity and sweetness that the stock pickup could only dream of!  It’s actually usable for rhythm playing, chords, etc rather than a muddy mess.  And riffs sound HUGE!  There’s still a hefty low end from the wound strings but it doesn’t sound woofy or overpower the tone.  It’s an addictive tone and I actually find myself struggling NOT to switch to the neck position when noodling … very, very happy with that.

At first I was a bit underwhelmed by the bridge - a little thin sounding - but I seemed to be having some trouble getting it closer to the strings.  Then I realised that the stock pickups were long leg (in a PRS???) whereas the new ones were short and I had reused the original mounting springs .… so I snipped the springs to 2/3 length and re-adjusted the pickup height and suddenly everything was sorted: still a big bold tone but more clarity and bite. At lower gain settings I might have been okay with an Abraxas but once you pile on the gain for some punk-pop or Foo Fighters, that cut from the EQ on the Emerald means everything holds together with a nice focused tone and the bass never gets out of hand.

So, thanks to all for the suggestions and advice .. most definitely ended up with the right result!!
Pickups / Re: Telecaster neck pickup with a bit more bite
« Last post by Dave Sloven on November 18, 2021, 12:54:44 PM »
For any Strat / humbucker combo, we can make them up with a special coil / polarity spec. Humbuckers are wound the opposite way to Strats, so, for an HS setup like that, you really want a Cobra with stock polarity, but a reversed wind. That will then hum cancel with the inner coil on the Black Hawk if you split it and will generally be in phase with both humbucker coils. As long as you mention that it's HS when ordering, we can do that no problem!

Thanks Timmy!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]