Username: Password:

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Pickups / Alnico V Nail bombs - Les Paul - Marshall
« Last post by Neilrocks25 on June 14, 2021, 06:03:23 PM »
I hope this is ok to post I made a video of Nail bombs Alnico V's

Not the best playing but you get the idea :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_hifbD7R_c&t=1s
Pickups / Boot Camp Series Humbuckers
« Last post by Kotsos81 on June 14, 2021, 03:02:50 PM »
Hi!

I am interested in the Boot Camp series humbuckers.

As far as I understand from the descriptions and EQ charts on the BKP web page, from dicussions and reviews I found on this forum and around the web, and from YouTube videos, the Brute Force bridge shares some similarities with both the C-Pig and the Painkiller, while the True Grit bridge lies somewhere between the Black Dog and the Holly Diver. The former seems to be a better fit for heavy and thrash metal, whereas the latter seems to be more suitable for progressive metal stuff (and possibly more versatile overall). Both would probably work well in pretty much any type of guitar, due to their less extreme/more balanced EQ chart in comparison to the regular line's offerings (this is, after all, the main motivation behind the BC series, I guess). Finally, I understand that the BF bridge could be combined with the TG neck with good results.

What's your take on these? Do you have any hands-on experience with them? These pickups are not dicussed very often in the forum. Given the substantial increase in the prices of the regular line's humbuckers that took place recently, I am considering to give them a try.

I am also hopping to see an extension of the BC line, adding some variety on the models, but unfortunatelly I don't see that happening any time soon (if ever...).
Pickups / Re: Black Dog -- With a little more power?
« Last post by ericsabbath on June 14, 2021, 02:52:54 PM »
I would have thought that the alnico Nailbomb is closer to the Black Dog than the Holy Diver would be

having replaced all the three of them directly, I gotta disagree
to my ears, there's this midrange texture in common between the dog and diver (and true grit) that feels different from the nailbomb more crackling glass aggressiveness
the dog sounded relatively raw, but had this dominating center mids that's a lot like the holy diver, but without the compression
I think the true grit is a great alternative as a middle ground between raw mids and juicy compression

I'd compare the alnico nailbomb to the vhII, as I tend to relate the rebel yell as "a riff raff with built-in a tube screamer"

Guitars, Amps and Effects / Re: IR loader pedal ideas.... please help!!
« Last post by Dave Sloven on June 14, 2021, 12:31:18 PM »
To be honest rather than getting an IR loader (I'm not even sure you are connecting the amp in a safe way re ohm loads etc) I would suggest just putting a mic on the speaker of your amp and running that into front of house and amplifying the guitar signal through the PA and foldback speakers
« Last post by 5F6-A on June 14, 2021, 12:21:37 PM »
Sorted (I think).
« Last post by Dave Sloven on June 14, 2021, 12:17:49 PM »
There's a problem with your video link
Guitars, Amps and Effects / IR loader pedal ideas.... please help!!
« Last post by 5F6-A on June 14, 2021, 12:10:57 PM »
This is my situation. I have a 5-watt valve amp that I love. Good tone and highly portable due to its 8 speaker and reduced dimensions. Unfortunately, it is not loud enough for gigging with a drummer but it has a post output transformer line out. It sounds okay but I think it lacks some of the warmth of the speaker sound. That papery, direct sound is just a tad too hard.

You can hear it here. It's clip B (clip A is my guitar through an American Sound preamp and speaker emulation pedal, actually not a bad sound).

https://youtu.be/WLEEPUGFKcI

I was thinking that a cheap IR loader pedal such as the Nux Mini Studio used with the direct out of the valve amp could be the solution. I could use the amp as a monitor through the built-in speaker, connect the direct out to the IR loader to send a signal emulating a nice speaker to PA and have the best of both worlds. Is this possible? I suppose it is but I have a few questions:

Will the direct out signal be the right impedance for the Nux to work well?
Will the direct out level overwhelm the Nux?
Does the Nux accept a wide range of IRs?
Is there another alternative in the 50 to 80 price range?
Thanks guys!
« Last post by RobAbrams84 on June 13, 2021, 08:51:58 PM »
I would have thought that the alnico Nailbomb is closer to the Black Dog than the Holy Diver would be

You might be right, I think it depends on what qualities of the Black Dog someone is after in a way.  I think that the Holydiver has a more similar EQ, but the Nailbomb is more open and aggressive and raspy. 
 True Grit might be the best, depending on how much compression is wanted (it's only mildly compressed to me).
« Last post by Dave Sloven on June 13, 2021, 03:13:36 AM »
Pickups / Re: HSP90 vs P90
« Last post by b.gandt on June 12, 2021, 04:07:06 PM »
I have used both!  The Blue Note was some years back, though, in a Hamer Special plugged straight in to a Trinity 18.  18 watt variant of the Marshall 18/WEM 17 circuit, but the trem channel has lost the trem, and has a full set of tone controls and a master volume. 

I no longer have the Blue Notes in because I was going to sell the guitar, so I put the stock pickups back in.  I decided not to sell the guitar, but the Blue Notes had sold by then.  I still have the Hamer Special, with a Supermassive in the bridge.

The Nantucket bridge is in a Hamer Artist, which is only a hair darker than the Special.  I determined that when the two had the same stock pickups.  I've been playing that straight in to a 68 Plexi circuit, a different beast than the 18.

However, I've been looking for an excuse to bring the 18 to the practice space, so I'll try the Nantucket through it.  I'll have to compare/contrast to a memory, and the speakers will be slightly different Celestions, but maybe I can get a rough idea of the difference.  Maybe.  Anyway, I hope to get to the practice space this week, before I head off to Tucson for a brief holiday in another hot place...I'll be back...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10