Username: Password:

Author Topic: Electronics  (Read 2140 times)


  • Junior Flyweight
  • *
  • Posts: 26
« on: September 25, 2005, 01:07:46 PM »
I'm looking to buy some tone and volume pots for my Les Paul, I think their getting a little old (a few crackles here and there) but I don't know much about them, so is there any difference between ones that I buy from say, Maplins or Carvin?

What are the most important parts that I could/should replace?


  • Featherweight
  • ***
  • Posts: 398
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 01:11:22 PM »
Most people like CTS pots, for HB's you'd usually want 500k ones.

I have a set of these in one of my LPs, they work fine, I think they are about 4-5 each, there are some in the BKP shop IIRC, although pretty much everywhere sells them...
"What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet, sweet music?"


  • Bantamweight
  • **
  • Posts: 210
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 03:16:11 PM »
Don't use the ones from Maplins, they won't be right, you can get the CTS ones from BK or Allparts UK, as rinse_master says, around 4 to 5, or you can get the genuine Gibson ones from Rosetti, they're 9.50 so you're paying a bit for the 'Gibson' stamp on the bottom! If it's a Gibson LP, you'll need the long shaft ones, Epi LP uses standard shaft.

Having said that, a few crackles is usually down to dirt, so it would be worth trying some switch cleaner on the pots first. Have a look also at your jack socket (four screws removes the jackplate so you can have a look), if this is at all worn it's worth replacing with a Switchcraft one at around 2, again from Allparts. LP switches give very little trouble and can always be stripped, cleaned and the contacts cleaned with fine abrasive paper. That's it really, very simple electrics.
Just 'cos you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you