Username: Password:

Author Topic: Apaches AND Slowhands  (Read 998 times)

5F6-A

• Lightweight
Apaches AND Slowhands
« on: December 13, 2008, 08:20:57 PM »
I was tempted to call this topic Apaches versus Slowhands but I won't because it's not really a competition.

I have a Strat with Apaches that sound wonderful. Very clear and 50's.

A friend has an old japanese Squier strat as his sole electric. He wants to swap his pickups and I suggested BKPs.
The thing is he wants a versatile set. I normally play Gibsons so I wanted my Start to sound as pure a possible but in his case he wants a Strat that could morph if needed.

I was thinking a set os Slowhands.... What do you think??

Any feedback would really appreciated.

Why waste your breath moaning at the crowds? Nothing can be done to stop the shouting; if every tongue was still, the stones and rocks themselves would start to sing.

Elliot

• Welterweight
Re: Apaches AND Slowhands
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 08:25:23 PM »
Old Japanese Squier Strat normally means basswood - basswood means pronounced mid range and thus slowhands are ruled out in my books.  My JV Squier came alive when I swapped the apaches in my 60s reissue Fender Strat (alder) with the Mothers Milks in the JV.  The same thing vice versa.

So I would go apaches - the Alnico III is made more gutsy by the pronounced mids of basswood.
BKPS: Milks, P90s, Apaches, Mississippi Queens, Mules, PG Blues, BG FP 50s, e.60s strat custom set