Username: Password:

Author Topic: Scatterwound humbuckers???  (Read 5938 times)

5F6-A

• Lightweight
Scatterwound humbuckers???
« on: October 22, 2005, 10:17:07 AM »
I was think about getting a BKP PAF-inspired, low gain humbucker ( Stormy Monday ) for the neck position of a Tele. THe first thing that has puzzled me is this . I thought sacatterwound coils were a BIG no-no for humbuckers; I remember a famous P/U maker named L.F. commenting on how bad those types of humbuckers ( unlike singlecoils ) would sound.

What do you think about this??
Why waste your breath moaning at the crowds? Nothing can be done to stop the shouting; if every tongue was still, the stones and rocks themselves would start to sing.

steve

• Lightweight
    • http://www.cdbaby.com/stevegladman
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 10:48:21 AM »
Whoever said that must me mad or deaf or both!BK humbuckers have so much life and tone that is down to being handwound/scatterwound.
I used SD,Dimarzio before these and the difference is night and day.
Mule,Trilogy,Irish Tours,Holy Diver and Apaches.

Peterku

• Featherweight
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 11:16:07 AM »
Is L.F. Lindy Fralin?

HJM

• Welterweight
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005, 11:16:30 AM »
Yeah and Lindy denies ever designing pickups for the PRS EG...but he did...
Apache,VHII,Emerald,Nailbomb,MiracleMan,StormyMonday,BlackDog,Trilogy,Mothersmilk,Sultans+Sinner

5F6-A

• Lightweight
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005, 11:31:30 AM »
I think you are right... BTW, I found out that SD Antiquities humbuckers ARE scatterwound. This no official but some info from a guy who took a good look inside an Antiquity PAF ( which was scatterwound) and a  Seth Lover ( which wasn't ).

Cheers!

p.s.- LF. is indeed Lindy Fralin ( he seemed an ok anough guy on the video I've seen)
Why waste your breath moaning at the crowds? Nothing can be done to stop the shouting; if every tongue was still, the stones and rocks themselves would start to sing.

Elliot

• Welterweight
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 12:01:13 PM »
The proof of the pudding is, as they say, in the eating and my scatterwound A4 mule has made my Fender Esprit so much clearer, more defined and alive.
BKPS: Milks, P90s, Apaches, Mississippi Queens, Mules, PG Blues, BG FP 50s, e.60s strat custom set

PhilKing

• Welterweight
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005, 12:55:58 PM »
Rather than a Stormy Monday (which is a great pickup btw), I have a Mini-Mule in the neck postion (much less routing).  This gives a really great sound with the tele bridge (I also have the bk 4-way switch so I can get series or parallel when both pickups are on [standard 3-way is only parallel]).  Just remember to tell them it is for scratchplate mounting!

Scatter winding seems to give more claity and also seems to let the volume control work much better.  

What bridge p/u are you using?
So many pickups, so little time

jt

• Welterweight
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2005, 01:49:48 PM »
:D If scaterwinding is bad to use on H/B`s then why is this Web site here ? how could BK have made so much headway into the P/U market ? How do you explain the sound difference between BK`s & all of the big players, [ SD, Dimarzio, etc]  OK you could argue that there`s no difference & we`ve all just imagined it ! Ok some of us might have been mislead but a whole forums worth of people  :roll:

i think someones pulling your leg  :wink:

:D  8)
God I could do with a Gin & Tonic !

Bob Johnson

• Featherweight
    • http://www.legraguitars.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2005, 01:56:38 PM »
'Can't help thinkin' that if the LF in question had been Leo Fender the original statement might have made a whole lot more sense.
Regards,
Bob Johnson
Legra Guitars

Skybone

• Lightweight
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2005, 02:01:20 PM »
Along with everyone else on this board, I've have heard, tried & tested and bought scatterwound humbucker pickups for various guitars, and can say that they do sound great, much better than machine wound 'buckers, which IMO, sound way to clinical. And all the BKP sets I have, all sound as though they have plenty of character.

There again, why believe everything you read? Find somewhere to try some out & then decide.
Bibble.
BKP's: Black Dog set, Emerald set, & Crawler set.
http://www.myspace.com/misericordedoom

HJM

• Welterweight
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2005, 02:11:37 PM »
Quote from: Bob Johnson
'Can't help thinkin' that if the LF in question had been Leo Fender the original statement might have made a whole lot more sense.
Well spotted Bob - didn't Fender resist going to machines to wind their pickups for some years???
Apache,VHII,Emerald,Nailbomb,MiracleMan,StormyMonday,BlackDog,Trilogy,Mothersmilk,Sultans+Sinner

Ratrod

• Middleweight
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2005, 03:05:29 PM »
Quote from: HJM
Quote from: Bob Johnson
Well spotted Bob - didn't Fender resist going to machines to wind their pickups for some years???

My neighbour is a big Hendrix fan and plays guitar too. Did some guitar talkin' yesterday and I mentioned the hand scatterwound pups. How long did Fender handwind their pickups? Did Jimi use handwound pickups?
BKP user since 2004: early 7K Blackguard 50

5F6-A

• Lightweight
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2005, 04:09:08 PM »
Quote from: PhilKing

What bridge p/u are you using?

The whole thing is a project to be carried out yet. If I do I might use a Country Boy. I lke things VERY old style and mid to low in oputput. Thanks!

5F6-A

• Lightweight
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2005, 04:11:41 PM »
BTW, I don't seem to be able to find mini-mules anywhere. Where are they??

PhilKing

• Welterweight
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2005, 04:31:17 PM »
Quote from: 5F6-A
BTW, I don't seem to be able to find mini-mules anywhere. Where are they??

This is the picture and write up of them.

http://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135
So many pickups, so little time