Username: Password:

Author Topic: Ghost hum unless I touch strings in one amp in part of the house.  (Read 748 times)

5F6-A

• Lightweight
I  was playing my guitar and all of a sudden, the valve amp started humming unless I was touching a metal part.... tried through a different amp in a different room and no hum. Tried though a battery operated amp and there was no hum at all.... what's going on?

UPDATE: Tried the noisy amp in a different room with the same guitar. No hum at all either...
Why waste your breath moaning at the crowds? Nothing can be done to stop the shouting; if every tongue was still, the stones and rocks themselves would start to sing.

Dave Sloven

• Welterweight
    • Guitarist and Riffmaster @ Sloven
Re: Ghost hum unless I touch strings in one amp in part of the house.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 01:09:10 PM »
Sounds like it might be the power in that room
BLACK HAWKS
NAILBOMBS
WARPIGS
STOCKHOLM
COLD SWEATS
MIRACLE MAN

https://slovencoven.bandcamp.com/

5F6-A

• Lightweight
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 02:31:43 PM »
Thanks. Today the hum is gone completely! What the heck?
Why waste your breath moaning at the crowds? Nothing can be done to stop the shouting; if every tongue was still, the stones and rocks themselves would start to sing.

Hammerheart

• Bantamweight
  • Warpuss
    • My Other Hobby - Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 03:23:56 PM »
Dimmer switches can make pickups really noise at times. Did you have dimmed lights the room?
Orange TH30/Orange #4PPC212/GibsonLP-(SMs)/IbanezRGA42-(WPs)/JacksonRR24-(EMG81)/FenderBillyCorganStrat-(DiMarzioBCs)/GibsonSG70sTribute2013(DirtyFingers)

gwEm

• Middleweight
    • http://www.preromanbritain.com/gwem
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 10:38:52 AM »
Some laptop power supplies make a load of hum too. Think about what you had switched on at the time.
Quote from: AndyR
you wouldn't use the meat knife on crusty bread but, equally, the serrated knife and straight edge knife aren't going to go through raw meat as quickly