Username: Password:

Author Topic: Fret wire question  (Read 52 times)

Charlie-AKA

• Junior Flyweight
Fret wire question
« on: October 10, 2020, 07:34:28 AM »
Is there any reason why a person can't refret a guitar with jumbo frets but use medium jumbo fret wire for the first two or three frets to keep notes from going sharp when playing open chords? Seems to me like it would be a great strategy but I've never seen anyone mention it.
Currently: Silo, C-bomb, VHII, Juggernaut, Rebel Yell, Holy Diver, Cold Sweat neck, Mississippi Queen neck, Aftermath neck.
Formerly: Piledriver, Cold Sweat, Mule, all my non-BKPs

darkbluemurder

• Welterweight
Re: Fret wire question
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 04:04:01 PM »
While I am not a luthier I don't see a particular reason why not, provided that the frets have the same height - otherwise you would get notes fretting out (i.e. not sounding right). Even with wide frets you should not have intonation problems unless the frets are not crowned correctly. If the fret surface is flat, that may throw the intonation out - that is the reason why they should be recrowned after levelling.

Using different fret wire sizes is not new - there are people using wider frets for 1 - 12 and narrower frets from 13 up. I never tried this but it sound like a good idea as you will have more space as you would have with wide frets.