Username: Password:

Author Topic: tapped single coil wiring  (Read 2630 times)

blue

  • Welterweight
  • ****
  • Posts: 2212
    • http://www.bebo.com/blue1million
tapped single coil wiring
« on: February 02, 2007, 11:41:42 PM »
okay, i've completely confused myself!  i've wired these in once and when i pulled up the push/pull pot i got a very drastic drop in output, which shouldn't happen.  and now i can't remember what way i wired them before and i've lost the diagram i made so i wouldn't forget!

anyway, pickup has three wires, black green and white, plus an extra earth braid.  on the multimeter earth and white gives full output, 6.4k.  earth and green is the tapped output, 5.8k.  does anyone know which tags should get which wires?  this is to a rotary switch and a push/pull pot.

eventually i'll overcome my trepidation and just start wiring until i get it right, but if someone could advise first i'd be eternally grateful :wink:
cry HAVOC!! and let slip the pigs of war!!!

Philly Q

  • Light Heavyweight
  • ******
  • Posts: 18109
tapped single coil wiring
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 10:13:58 AM »
Might be worth PM'ing Twinfan, Blue.  

I think he had the same problem with the drastic output drop, because it was wired to switch off the wrong part of the coil - instead of cutting out 20% of the coil and leaving 80% output (or whatever fraction it should be), it was cutting out 80% of the coil and leaving puny output!  

I know he got it sorted in the end.
BKPs I've Got:  RR, BKP-91, ITs, VHII, CS set, Emeralds
BKPs I Had:  RY+Abraxas, Crawlers, BD+SM

blue

  • Welterweight
  • ****
  • Posts: 2212
    • http://www.bebo.com/blue1million
tapped single coil wiring
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 11:25:17 AM »
thanks Philly Q, i do remember that, and i was actually having the same problem at about the same time, but he never posted what his solution was.  i did try swapping a couple of wires but ended up with no output at all!  you don't want that.

good idea, i maybe will throw him a p.m., unless he arrives here first.  i always feel strangely intrusive when i send someone a p.m. :oops:
cry HAVOC!! and let slip the pigs of war!!!

sambo

  • Welterweight
  • ****
  • Posts: 4519
tapped single coil wiring
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 11:48:53 AM »
same thing happened to me when mine was first installed... unfortunately i cant help because i got mine sorted by a shop.

although i might be able to take a picture of the wiring when i get home about lunch time.

i shall seeee

PhilKing

  • Welterweight
  • ****
  • Posts: 3655
tapped single coil wiring
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 12:49:05 PM »
Black and screen to earth
White to one outside lug on the switch
Green to the other outside lug on the switch
take a wire from the centre lug on the switch to the pickup selector or volume control - depending on what guitar you have.
So many pickups, so little time

blue

  • Welterweight
  • ****
  • Posts: 2212
    • http://www.bebo.com/blue1million
tapped single coil wiring
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 05:36:39 PM »
thanks Phil, you truly are a king!  i think i've visualised that in my head now and made sense of it.  i had previously wired it like a coil split on a humbucker so when i pulled the switch i suppose what i was doing was actually sending all but the bit of the coil between the two wires to earth.

thanks again, hopefully i'll be able to get it wired up tomorrow.
cry HAVOC!! and let slip the pigs of war!!!